Any recent Approved 1 for MA residents?

For those wondering-DCJIS confirmed to me for a client that when doing an EFA10 for an SBR one must select handgun due to the barrel length even though it's a "rifle".

Unless is was a stripped reciver being built for the first time I wouldn't EFA10 it because if it is already registered in Massachusetts as a rifle it's still a rifle all you did was change the barrel length.

You don't reregister a pistol if you put a longer ported barrel on it do you no so I wouldn't do anything but make it a SBR with the Feds.

But doesn’t that violate the AWB rules because it doesn’t meet the weight requirement?

Yes but it's really not a pistol it's a short barrel rifle and on the EFA10 it don't ask any where how much the gun weighs or if it has any evil features the state changed the MIRCS system so dealers can't sell shick wave shot guns or SBR because the system only allows 16 inch barrels on a rifle in the system.

And if you do it as a pistol as a dealer the pistol has to be on the approved roster or as a dealer you cant sell it.

Why would a stripped lower be registered with the state already?

I think what he's saying is that it would not be registered. If you already eFA10'd it as a rifle and then chop the barrel on a Form 1, there's no reason why you would eFA10 it again.

If you take a stripped lower and build an SBR on it, then you would have to eFA10 it when capable of firing a round like usual.

Took forever buy finally got approved!!!
E-file form 1
Individual
Pending 12/28
Approved 5/29
Wait time: way too long!!

Paper Form 1 - SBR
Individual
Sent - Nov 2nd 2018
Check Cashed - Nov 9th 2018
Approved - July 8th 2019
Received - July 13th 2019
Wait Time - 241 Days
Will eFile next time . . .

10.5" SBR built off an 80% lower.

I have a form 1 pending on an AR9 lower I’ve had.
I’m having a bit of confusion with the eFA10. I know I choose the “Register” option. Do I just leave the “Seller Information” field blank? I’m building the gun so it wasn’t sold to me, only the lower was.

I have a form 1 pending on an AR9 lower I’ve had.
I’m having a bit of confusion with the eFA10. I know I choose the “Register” option. Do I just leave the “Seller Information” field blank? I’m building the gun so it wasn’t sold to me, only the lower was.

If you already filed an eFA10 on that lower then there's nothing to do. Otherwise I believe you have to select "firearm" or pistol or whatever that option is, since it won't allow you to register a rifle with a barrel length less than 16".

Others here would know better. Also no reason to register it with the state until it's capable of firing a shot.

Last edited:
NFA laws are at state level I believe. As such I would say go for it.
I’m confused about the form process/engraving, Do I have to own the lower before I fill out the Form 1 and designate it as my lower receiver for the form, then I can grab whatever upper receivers I want? And After the form is successful is this when I should engrave the lower with something designating it as the lower receiver for the build?

I’m confused about the form process/engraving, Do I have to own the lower before I fill out the Form 1 and designate it as my lower receiver for the form, then I can grab whatever upper receivers I want? And After the form is successful is this when I should engrave the lower with something designating it as the lower receiver for the build?

Yes, you need to "own" the receiver as the form 1 is serial number specific. You can swap out uppers as often as you change out underwear. It makes no difference. Engraving needs to match the maker of the firearm as designated on the form 1. Engraving should be done by Jack's Machine shop imho. Call and ask for Mike to arrange the work. They are awesome.

Yes, you need to "own" the receiver as the form 1 is serial number specific. You can swap out uppers as often as you change out underwear. It makes no difference. Engraving needs to match the maker of the firearm as designated on the form 1. Engraving should be done by Jack's Machine shop imho. Call and ask for Mike to arrange the work. They are awesome.
Awesome, thank you for the information.

Related question: Will they approve an SBR for Boston residents? Or is that totally out of bounds?

Don't forget Boston has its own ban:

Don't forget Boston has its own ban:

Yeah i don’t know how well this will work considering you’ll (Rocco) will have to mail/deliver the CLEO copy of the form 1 to the Boston police chief.

Last edited:
Yeah i don’t know how well this will work considering you’ll (Rocco) have to mail a copy of the application to the Boston police chief.
But if it were a fixed magazine lower it would not be considered an assault weapon under the current AWB ordinance, correct? I know I didn’t include that before I just wanted to toss that in there to try and salvage the build idea.

But if it were a fixed magazine lower it would not be considered an assault weapon under the current AWB ordinance, correct? I know I didn’t include that before I just wanted to toss that in there to try and salvage the build idea.

The Boston AWB doesn't mention mags. Just AR15 in general. Give this post in the thread above a read.

They gave themselves great latitude. Read that thread. It is a sticky. Good luck.

SECTION 1.
For the purposes of this act the following words shall have the following meanings:

1. "Assault weapon", all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:

1. Avtomat Kalishnikov, also known as AK-47 semi-automatic rifles;
2. Uzi semi-automatic rifles;
3. AR-15 semi-automatic rifles;

The Boston AWB doesn't mention mags. Just AR15 in general. Give this post in the thread above a read.

They gave themselves great latitude. Read that thread. It is a sticky. Good luck.

SECTION 1.
For the purposes of this act the following words shall have the following meanings:

1. "Assault weapon", all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:

1. Avtomat Kalishnikov, also known as AK-47 semi-automatic rifles;
2. Uzi semi-automatic rifles;
3. AR-15 semi-automatic rifles;
I think theres a section later that says “this does not apply to fixed magazine rifles,” but ya the Boston AWB rains on my parade constantly I just wish we could get it nullified but the way 2A matters are going thats pretty unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom