1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Any real estate agents on here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 84ta406, Dec 27, 2016.

1. 84ta406

84ta406 Dealer NES Member

Wife and I are looking to buy our first home. We have already been pre approved. Just looking to see if anyone on here would be able to help us further. Looking in the central mass/Worcester county area. We have been looking on Zillow, realtor.com and such but not having much luck.

2. crazymjb

crazymjb

Step 1, look in NH. That's pretty much our only regret.

Real estate is a racket. Basically 5% of your purchase price goes to the sellers agent, or is split between the two if you have your own. On the plus side house prices seem to be lower in the winter, so now is theoretically not a bad time to buy. Real estate agents are also often like used car salesmen, I'm saying often so I don't offend whatever NESer ends up posting they are a real estate agent. Whatever happens, get a real estate closing firm involved before you even make an offer (often, offers can be legally binding agreements to buy the property), they usually they have a reasonable flat rate under 1K. BUT, be sure to read what they are representing you on. Its not going to be the sub 1K flat rate if you want representation beyond what the base level services most provide.

We found our house on our own on Realtor.com, and got our agent involved afterwards. I'd find someone familiar with the area, or as a plus someone who's been doing it a while and knows about issues and so fourth in that location, with construction, etc. The problem is, nobody is ever really on your side. It's in both RE agents interest to have you buy the property.

I'd also plug GeorgeD on here for originating your mortgage. I have a lower interest rate than anyone I know.

Mike

1 person likes this.
  3. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

...If you can find anything on the market. I have had only a handful of new houses come on the market in the past week.

- - - Updated - - -

Redfin.com is better than Zillow.

4. crazymjb

crazymjb

Not trying to highjack, but is there anyway to get the 2+ year old listing for our house and all the interior pictures taken down from these sites?

Mike

5. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

6. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

If there's no houses on the market that match your criteria, you'll need to look elsewhere, or change your requirements.

Just about every listing is in MLS, so what website you choose is mostly a matter of presentation, not content. Last time I needed to do detailed searches, I created an account via a RE/MAX website with a fake name and temporary email address, just to get a login for expanded/saved searches.

7. 84ta406

84ta406 Dealer NES Member

Sort of. I was doing Zillow and remax mainly at first. Ended up finding a place on realtor over the weekend that never showed up in any of my searches. Has a pending offer.

8. snax

snax NES Member

Hit me up. MA & NH Realtor.

9. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

how accurate are those estimates on redfin? they didn't have my house sale date on their( maybe because it was an auction) but dam I liked the number I saw haha

10. JJ4

JJ4 NES Member

My agent rebated me back a good chunk of his commission. I received a check for several thousand dollars back after closing when we bought.

This arrangement was that we found houses on our own and brought him in to place offers and negotiate. Very responsive and looked out for our interests.

PM if anyone wants his contact info.

OP - pm sent.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  11. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

I think they are more accurate than zillow. BUT none of these online estimates know the condition of the house.

12. Cowgirlup

Cowgirlup NES Member

There should be more houses coming on the market after the first of the year. A lot of people don't want to deal with showings etc during the holidays and winter. People who hope to sell in the spring will start listing in the end of January and Feb.

13. crazymjb

crazymjb

hahah... must be nice. Mine was a friend, but I got no such reach-around, even after finding the house and closing on the first one we looked at. He did, however, get a new jeep Wrangler 6 months later. Also, my neighbor was the sellers agent, still has yet to get us a house warming gift.

Mike

14. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    You can claim the house as yours on Zillow, I don't know if they let you edit things after you do. Most of that information is public and readily available from your town assessors office.

15. Billsail

Billsail NES Member

Zillow allows edits after they verify your identity.

16. JJ4

JJ4 NES Member

Yeah I learned to steer clear of friends.
    Had a friend as a mortgage broker. Ended up quoting me non-competitive rates when the time came. I went with a lower rate elsewhere and feelings were hurt. Not worth the hassle and hurt feelings.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17. Synyster

Synyster

Join the club. Looking in the Canton/Norwood/Walpole area. Anything worth its salt here goes for way over asking in less than a few hours of the posting. Frustrating to say the least.

18. JoeT

JoeT

I had a buddy recently move into Southboro. His wife and he were looking for a while and couldn't find anything she "loved". A couple months ago they were looking at a home and was another failure. As they were leaving the neighborhood she said "Why can't that house be for sale? I love that house"

he pulled over, walked up the walkway and rang the doorbell and introduced himself. Said he and his wife have been house-hunting and his wife loved their home and have they thought of selling. They said they put it on the market a year earlier but got no offers, his realtor told him to drop the price if he wanted to sell and he wouldn't. My buddy asked what the number was, and asked if he offered that would he sell.

Guy spoke with his wife that night, called my buddy and said without realtors he'd sell for that price. Quick home inspection and 60 days later home closed. Price was just about market price, neither paid a commission seller put an extra 5% in his pocket and my buddy was done shopping

moral of the story, almost everyone has a price it would take to move, if you see something you like, go ring a bell

also, we stared looking for a place in Newport, not real serious, but considering it. When searching, I'll look at there stuff in a neighborhood and look at the "history" tab on zillow. There are a lot of homes that were recently for sale, didn't sell and are off the market now. It's worth taking a look at those too

19. Another_David

Another_David

1. zillow and redfin "estimates" are total crap--completely ignore it. ignore the listing price and city/town assessor price too. you need to look at recent SALES (not unsold listings) and reach your own conclusion as to what a property is worth. you also need to go look at everything similar and make your own assessments like is it really x square feet or are they counting unfinished basement rooms and whole rooms with 45 degree slanted walls making the edge of the room useless. point being, people play games with the numbers to inflate the price per sq foot and other metrics redfin and zillow brainlessly uses to determine value.

2. in hotbed areas where real estate really moves fast, you want a full-time, local agent representing you if you want a snowball chance in hell of actual service. else, go it alone or use a discount agent but don't expect any service.

3. get a lawyer early, before you make offers. don't "use the seller lawyer" or mortgage attorney because that's THEIR attorney and not representing you.

all in all, redfin is pretty good. it feeds directly from the mls listings. only thing better is getting an actual mls account. in fact, you want a 2% discount--then go get your Mass RE license and register with a discount brokerage and claim the commission yourself. takes like a 20 hr class and well under $1k to get a license.

20. Another_David

Another_David

redfin will often have past ads including photos. change the search filter to show "past sales - all" and look at the listing history then click on the old listings.

if not there someone with a agent MLS account might find the photos on MLS. Sometimes agents intentionally delete the photos and then you can't find them.

21. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

What is a discount brokerage?

22. quincy

quincy NES Member

When it comes to RE, everyone is an "expert". Buy and sell on your own? Good luck with that. Are you willing to trust a seller with a 10% down payment on a 500K house? If not, you're gonna need a good RE lawyer with an escrow account. Commissions are all built into the sales price. If you pay market price with no commissions, you just got overcharged. [emoji846][emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

Get real. 10% down on a $500k is not real in 2016. That offer doesnt exist.

24. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    Been house shopping lately? I've been helping a few people who have and most of the time houses are selling over asking price.
    Now I for one refuse to pay more than someone is asking on anything. If for some odd reason I just had to have a certain house I don't know if I could even offer more.

25. spcantwell

spcantwell NES Member

I lucked out that we had the convince of time so we could just watch for the house we wanted... working on a short sale now in somerset mass...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

26. Another_David

Another_David

as a licensed real estate salesperson in Mass you still need to work for a licensed broker. the broker usually takes 50% of your commission but there are discount brokerages that will take far less but they have minimal support and infrastructure.

it definitely still exists. I had an offer for 10% down and a $725k overbid (not a property I own btw) and called the mortgage broker myself to confirm it was correct. the problem with that offer is if the mortgage assessment comes in under offer then the buyer needs to pony up the difference and then they usually have cause to walk away.

listing price means nothing. it's not even the buyer legally "asking" you pay that amount and if you say "okay I'll take it, here is the cash" they can still say NO! moreover, offer price isn't everything either. The savvy sellers will often under list by 5 to 10% and then create a buzz and get multiple competing offers at the same time.

edit: you can actually download the list and sale price on redfin.com for you area and look at the distribution of percent over and under. I did it for my area it was an amazingly normal bell curve distribution.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  27. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

If anyone is looking in Franklin, there are 2 nice homes on my street going in the mid 300s and another nice arts and crafts style home going up soon.

28. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

A big problem with FSBO is that parties on both sides of the table expect to pocket the 5%. Sellers feel the agent is hired to do the seller's work, and does not change the value of the house. The first thing a FSBO buyer thinks is "great, I'll knock the RE agent's fee off the price". Add to that the fact that FSBOs are not as aggressively marketed, and are ignored by the hordes of agents showing houses, and you are luck to make anything on the 5% you save by doing it yourself.

29. GomerPile

GomerPile

This is probably hard advice to take...I suggest waiting until after Trump takes office and you can get a sense of the economy direction. We have not had a recession since the housing crash, the stock market is at all time highs, AND real estate is back up to pre-crash highs.

On top of that interest rates are going up....to compensate for the increase in interest rates sales prices must come down. Save your money and have a larger downpayment when you do buy.

BTW: I have never seen a FSBO that was reasonably priced. Without an agent to tamp down expectations, sellers price to the moon. BeanGroup.com is a good site to use for searching the MLS.

30. cbrxx

cbrxx NES Member

OP, not sure if Hudson, MA is in your search area, but a buddy has a house there he mentioned he's thinking to sell.

You can def keep realtors out of this, just each get your own real estate attorney to handle paperwork.