Any ranges/clubs in MA that allow night (NODS) shooting?

Been looking to get into night shooting with NODs and IRs.

Before putting down $$ on Gen2/3, would be nice to know if any ranges/clubs allow night shooting with nvgs?

Any leads would be great.

YEARS ago, Taunton ran a night course. This was back in the old range. BEFORE the rebuilt back wall. I have no idea if they still do it today. I always meant to go but never did.

The only night shooting I'm aware of is indoors but Harvard's indoor range is closed until this corona bullshit is under control. I'm guessing everyone's indoor range is closed right now.

The only night shooting I'm aware of is indoors but Harvard's indoor range is closed until this corona bullshit is under control. I'm guessing everyone's indoor range is closed right now.
I was thinking of this. The picture in my head has a DBAL on a 10/22 with a quad-tube setup...

I'm not aware of any outdoor ranges around here that allow night shooting. There was an invite-only nighttime USPSA match at New Bedford, but that ship has sailed.

YEARS ago, Taunton ran a night course. This was back in the old range. BEFORE the rebuilt back wall. I have no idea if they still do it today. I always meant to go but never did.

Yup, I used to shoot this one. It was called BLACKLIGHT INSTINCTIVE SHOOTING. All stock, no dot sights, no glow in the dark sights. Basically all iron sight. They used four silohette targets at different distances, with the targets ooutlined in marker that glowed under blacklight. One was outlined the left half of target spit down middle, one outlined right side split same way then one outlined bottom half, split across center, the last was top half split at center. The part of the target that was outlined was for + points, if you hit the other half of target it was - minus points. And it was timed, with reloads. You got on the firing line got ready and on command the lights were shut off, and the Blacklights were put on. It was shooting in total darkness, wit the objective being proficient at point shooting in the dark. Fastest time with most points was the winner. It was a lot of fun, dont know if they still do it though.....P.S. It ws shot indoor range.....

Nods/thermal really changes the game... its not a cheap game even after your initial purchase... the accessories really add up.
Mounts, lasers.NV compatible sights.

No advice where to shoot....

Yup, I used to shoot this one. It was called BLACKLIGHT INSTINCTIVE SHOOTING. All stock, no dot sights, no glow in the dark sights. Basically all iron sight. They used four silohette targets at different distances, with the targets ooutlined in marker that glowed under blacklight. One was outlined the left half of target spit down middle, one outlined right side split same way then one outlined bottom half, split across center, the last was top half split at center. The part of the target that was outlined was for + points, if you hit the other half of target it was - minus points. And it was timed, with reloads. You got on the firing line got ready and on command the lights were shut off, and the Blacklights were put on. It was shooting in total darkness, wit the objective being proficient at point shooting in the dark. Fastest time with most points was the winner. It was a lot of fun, dont know if they still do it though.....P.S. It ws shot indoor range.....

THAT was it! I just never got around to it. Back then, they TRPC computer system was a disaster. Every 3-4 months, they'd have a power failure and have to restore the PC that ran the membership system. 2 years in a row I never got renewed. I had to go chasing. Half way through the third year, they changed the key system and I was 100% locked out. LOL.

Then my girls were born'd and I was too flat out to shoot often anymore. :(

Heck, I forget which night it was. Sunday??? That was the other thing about Taunton at the time. They had two leagues on every night of the week but Friday, I think. So you had a HOME team and an AWAY team. Range was shut down for leagues M-Th from 6-9 or 10. One night was Jr. But the rest was pistol leagues. It was crazy! I think some of those guys just didn't like their wives and hoped that they didn't get divorced. Hahahahaha.

I was up in Maine a few years back with my NODS helmet in my truck at night. I put on the helmet, shut off the truck lights and was zipping down the road at 50 mph, in the dark. Was way cool, especially when I lifted my head to look under the NODS and it was pitch black! And looking up at the stars with NODS is always amazing.

Find a good outdoor private property spot, do it in the winter when it gets dark at 4:30..

Even in the summer where I shoot I am often the late comer a couple hours before dark and if the sun sets on me I will sometimes play w/ a laser sighted AR - is absolutely a blast.

Find a good outdoor private property spot, do it in the winter when it gets dark at 4:30..

Even in the summer where I shoot I am often the late comer a couple hours before dark and if the sun sets on me I will sometimes play w/ a laser sighted AR - is absolutely a blast.

Yeah, nods are kind-of a winter toy.

Pelham fish and game is the only one that I am aware of. I have shot at a couple of there night shoots obv you have to be a member. Also using your lights on a rifle and pistol def a bit different so good to train like that.

I have no access to a private property spot where i can shoot.

Where do u shoot where u have access to sundown shooting?

Pelham fish and game is the only one that I am aware of. I have shot at a couple of there night shoots obv you have to be a member. Also using your lights on a rifle and pistol def a bit different so good to train like that.

Ive sent them an email a few days ago; havent heard back. Will follow up in a few more days.

I have no access to a private property spot where i can shoot.

Where do u shoot where u have access to sundown shooting?

You do, you just haven't found it yet - go find it.

Where I shoot is not a closely guarded secret locally but honestly we got enough problems with people doing their best to screw it up for the rest of us, so its not information I would give out. If I lived up north where there are less people and more places to shoot it'd be different to send an occasional PM to someone about a spot.

The way to find these places though is just ask around locally, particularly gun friendly non shooters or casual gun owners are often real willing to give out such info - a real enthusiast who cherishes a spot has gotta know you (or be drinking) before they offer such up.

Every NH town has a few spots, if I ran out of places to shoot I would just start asking around, calling friends looking for a lead, asking the gun friendly folks I'm friends with on Facebook etc etc. Asking here doesn't work well because we are gun nuts who mostly don't know each other in person.

You do, you just haven't found it yet - go find it.

Where I shoot is not a closely guarded secret locally but honestly we got enough problems with people doing their best to screw it up for the rest of us, so its not information I would give out. If I lived up north where there are less people and more places to shoot it'd be different to send an occasional PM to someone about a spot.

The way to find these places though is just ask around locally, particularly gun friendly non shooters or casual gun owners are often real willing to give out such info - a real enthusiast who cherishes a spot has gotta know you (or be drinking) before they offer such up.

Every NH town has a few spots, if I ran out of places to shoot I would just start asking around, calling friends looking for a lead, asking the gun friendly folks I'm friends with on Facebook etc etc. Asking here doesn't work well because we are gun nuts who mostly don't know each other in person.

Thanks, but I'm not sure how i can actually use any of your advice in the real world. Also, not sure what was the point of posting the equivalent to "I know where you can shoot but I am not telling you"?

How would gun friendly non shooters give me insight as to where to shoot in the dark with NODs, considering how niche NOD training already is in the gun world?

I havent used Facebook in 6 years and it's not the 18th century colonial era where everyone gathers at their local town center tavern to gossip. Being on NES for 10 years, I have a pretty good idea who the notable trustworthy members I can trust. Hell, that's how I found out about TSUSA before they were outed by MFS and I kept that info mum.

Maybe if you ever become comfortable enough, you can shoot me over a message with this shooting location - check my posting history - no Healey plant here.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'm not sure how i can actually use any of your advice in the real world. Also, not sure what was the point of posting the equivalent to "I know where you can shoot but I am not telling you"?

How would gun friendly non shooters give me insight as to where to shoot in the dark with NODs, considering how niche NOD training already is in the gun world?

I havent used Facebook in 6 years and it's not the 18th century colonial era where everyone gathers at their local town center tavern to gossip. Being on NES for 10 years, I have a pretty good idea who the notable trustworthy members I can trust. Hell, that's how I found out about TSUSA before they were outed by MFS and I kept that info mum.

Maybe if you ever become comfortable enough, you can shoot me over a message with this shooting location - check my posting history - no Healey plant here.

I will consider that, obviously have a good reason to night shoot..

But it's funny you say that, if not for covid almost mentioned this type of information comes kinda easy at the local bar :). Different words we live in I suppose but literally been turned onto both shooting and fishing spots that way - it pays to know people and drinking people tend to talk. I live in an area not far from where I grew up too, is pretty rare I need anything and am unsure of who to ask.

Reading indoor range might be a possibility.

You can control the lights in the entire indoor range and as far as I know, there isnt a rule to shoot with the lights on (you would have to call and ask them).

I have shot there with all the lights off except one or two to simulate a very late afternoon, almost night.

But, only handgun calibers are allowed and I am not sure if they allow carbines, you would have to call and ask. The number is on the website.

It is a great, non fudd range.

Back
Top Bottom