• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any problems with Wally’s Winchester white box 9mm?

I have multiple issues with 9mm white box. In different pistols have sworn it off use blazer and Remington as cheap range ammo. Had a squib pulled down the rest found 2 more with no charge. Had another with no box with no extractor rings cut. Ts usa has rem for 17 cents around right now

I’ve run lots of that. Not premium and you get what you pay for....sort of. I’ve had a few hiccups, maybe 1/200 rounds but aok for range fodder.

I was at the range the other day and had a squib with a 9mm Winchester white box ammo from WalMart? I’m wondering if anyone has had any issues with this ammo.

BTW, I’m cheap and I already know I’m not using premium ammunition.

I have been shooting for over 40 years and I'm telling you that Winchester White box is crap, there's no nicer way to put it. I wouldn't take a box for free. If you have a quality firearm then use quality ammo.

Wow- I have not had any problems with WWB, but a squib is certainly a concern. Squibs give me the willys in case they are not detected and followed by a live round.

I shoot WWB all the time. I highly recommend it for plinking or just for fun target shooting. The brass cases can be reloaded just fine. I see no problem shooting WWB in any quality firearm for stated reasons.

This has been my experience, too. Thousands of rounds of it in .38, .380, 9mm, .45.

Maybe a dud or two, but certainly not a common problem, and never a squib. You figure it was primed but no powder charge?

Last edited:
Yes. A quick google or on-site search will tell you WWB is garbage. That doesn't mean people haven't shot it successfully, or that it doesn't "work" at all, but it is an inferior and unreliable ammo even when compared with surplus and combloc crap made with lesser materials.

It's not consistently bad but if someone said "I had a few shitty boxes of WWB" I wouldn't be surprised.

Usually Winchester will make it right if you complain loudly enough. Document everything.

-Mike

Yes. A quick google or on-site search will tell you WWB is garbage.

There's a bunch of other ammo that's way further up my shit list. Perfecta and Blazer Brass 9mm... lol... they both work, but they are piss weak.

I've probably used more than 20,000 rounds of WWB in my shooting existence and the stuff has worked fine. I have gotten some boxes that had empty cases in it, and sometimes you would get shorted a round, etc.

Right now though I don't buy it unless I am getting a good deal on it, otherwise I'm going to put my money on Fiocchi.

-Mike

There's a bunch of other ammo that's way further up my shit list. Perfecta and Blazer Brass 9mm... lol... they both work, but they are piss weak.

I've probably used more than 20,000 rounds of WWB in my shooting existence and the stuff has worked fine. I have gotten some boxes that had empty cases in it, and sometimes you would get shorted a round, etc.

Right now though I don't buy it unless I am getting a good deal on it, otherwise I'm going to put my money on Fiocchi.

-Mike

Fiocchi is nice stuff.

Shot 1000's upon 1000's of rounds of it, in many different guns, without any real issues to speak of. As with any ammo, you get a dud every once in a while.

This has been my experience, too. Thousands of rounds of it in .38, .380, 9mm, .45.

Maybe a dud or two, but certainly not a common problem, and never a squib. You figure it was primed but no powder charge?

IDK if was primer only. It sounded like a lite load. The bullet left the barrel, but it wasn’t enough cycle the action. Case looked ok. This was in a Beretta 92 FS. I have probably shot 2000 rounds +/- of white box with no previous issues.

-Mike
WWB is OK, although it's dirty. I did have one round that was a dud, but out of a thousand, I guess I can't complain (I doubt Winchester would listen for 1 round. LOL). "and sometimes you would get shorted a round, etc." Ah-ha! That's where that extra round or two in my multi-pack came from. Thanks for donating to the cause, drgrant!

Funny, but at least for .45acp, Fiocchi one of my better shooters (I found it at a good price - for range ammo, price is my guide - for defense - only the best). Years ago I shot Fiocchi 9mm, and had a lot of jams in a S&W 39. I noticed a lot of brass flakes in the chamber and ramp area after, and someone mentioned that they felt the brass was too brittle. Guess they've improved since then.

I've had good luck with the 762x39 out of my area upper the stuff shoots sub moa at 100yds.

I normally don't have an issues with WWB but I must have a gotten a bad batch a while I ago. I haven't been shooting my pistols but I had a number of duds from multiple boxes of 9mm. The firing pin would hit the primer and nothing would happen. I would eject the round and put it to the side. Did that probably at least once or twice a box of 50. Ran the round through the gun again and sometimes it would go off the next time it was chambered and other times I could try 3-4 times and still nothing. Didn't have that issue with WWB .45acp or .38spc but I did with the 9mm.

Shot 1000's upon 1000's of rounds of it, in many different guns, without any real issues to speak of. As with any ammo, you get a dud every once in a while.

Agreed. I regularly shoot 400-800 rounds of WWB each month and I have not encountered any squibs. Granted, that's not a lot compared to what others might be shooting, but I have had zero issues.

i had some issues about 2 months ago. the ones that had problems had a really rough casing. crossed them off my list.

I’ve only shot 100-200 rounds of WWB 9mm before I started reloading but I seem to recall it being loaded pretty warm? Or am I remembering that wrong?

I stopped buying WWB when I found a bullet with a burr jammed into the brass. That was a good 10+ years back. No, I didn't fire that one. Yes, the box was pristine. There was a yuge burr on the bullet's jacket.

DCP_2151.jpg

I’ve only shot 100-200 rounds of WWB 9mm before I started reloading but I seem to recall it being loaded pretty warm? Or am I remembering that wrong?

No, you're not mistaken- it's actually fairly hot for 115gr, vs blazer brass, UMC, and a bunch of other stuff like that. I think I remember at one point I even had some rounds chronoed at 1200+ through my Sig XFive at the time... then again that gun did have a 5.5in barrel so that helped...

-Mike

Why no go in the MAC 10 ?
Don't know. lots of light primer strikes. I know it's not the gun 'cause it runs like a top with all kinds of other brands and my reloads for 30 yrs. First time with WWB, so maybe a bad lot. Nice gun, tho. Was $500 nib dealer back then. I run it with a nice full size wood stock and the Gemtech Viper can. Very easy to control for a MAC. Jack.

Personally when practicing with a carry pistol.
I run Winchester White Box "or" what ever is the absolute cheapest to shoot.
I don't care if there is an issue with a round. Issues teach me to react quickly and move past the issue.
With regards to "carry" ammo I use the best ammo I can find which passes FBI protocols.
By using the best ammo for carry; I hope I never run into an issue with the ammo.
But by practicing with cheap ammo; I feel my experience dealing with ammo issues should help me deal with the issue on hand.
Just my two cents.....

Back
Top Bottom