any primers on salt?

Ok imLooking to add salt to my stores but am finding nothing out there on any info of what amount is used by the average family and what types. I find myself lucky that family has a resturant and i can buy stuff in bulk.

You can go to Mortons site to get ideas.
http://www.mortonsalt.com/
But if you preserve and cure your own game or save the hides for tanning and such regular table salt is not good. So knowing how much to store will depend on what and how you will use it.

I haven't come across anything that I recall on quanities to store... but I do know that storage of many types is advised.

Table/Iodized, and Pickling salt at the least... and I personally also keep a few of the giant sea salt grinders in the basement that I rotate through as that is our preferred cooking salt. Food grade rock salt is another one from what I understand is ideal for game preservation.

As a general rule, it's probably best to keep your primers out of the salt to prevent corrosion.

Sorry,,, couldn't help myself [wink]

How long you looking to stock up for?

A hundred pounds of mixed types should be a good start.

I keep fine sea salt, kosher pickling salt, iodized table salt and coarse sea salt. Its cheap, stack it deep.

FEMA recommends 10lb per year per adult and 2lb per year per child. Do not use oxygen absorbers in salt or sugar.

Back
Top Bottom