Any Outdoor Public Shooting Ranges in NH?

Can anyone recommend an outdoor public shooting range in NH? Preferably southern NH?

Are there any state land public ranges in NH, like the Martin Burns range in MA?

People drive 4 wheelers up into Mt Sunapee State Park by our place all the time, and shoot. No range, just trees.

Anyone go shooting/hunting at Bear Brook State Park? Seems to be the largest NH state park, that's relatively close to my house.

You have to careful where you shoot in NH anymore....many of the public lands have been converted or are being converted to DRED Lands (http://www.dred.state.nh.us/).

No target shooting allowed on these DRED lands...I can't seem to find a list of where these are. Maybe a call to NH Dept of Forestry would net a list for you. I know a parcel of land I sed to shoot on for 30 years was just converted...signs went up immediately...no target shooting. It sucks...all these ****ing tree huggers.

You have to careful where you shoot in NH anymore....many of the public lands have been converted or are being converted to DRED Lands (http://www.dred.state.nh.us/).

No target shooting allowed on these DRED lands...I can't seem to find a list of where these are. Maybe a call to NH Dept of Forestry would net a list for you. I know a parcel of land I sed to shoot on for 30 years was just converted...signs went up immediately...no target shooting. It sucks...all these ****ing tree huggers.

Is it legal for them to do that in NH?

I ask because I understand that land bought with Pittman–Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act monies I have been told MUST be open to shooting and other recreational usages and can't be converted to "no shooting".

It's worth you folks in NH investigating where the money came from to purchase those lands that are being converted, you might be able to undo it.

Good luck.

Is it legal for them to do that in NH?

I ask because I understand that land bought with Pittman–Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act monies I have been told MUST be open to shooting and other recreational usages and can't be converted to "no shooting".

It's worth you folks in NH investigating where the money came from to purchase those lands that are being converted, you might be able to undo it.

Good luck.

Good question...I don't know the answer to that...I do know that hunting is allowed in many of the DRED lands but according to the signs that went up a year or so ago, target shooting is not allowed. There was even an RSA number at the bottom of the sign which I have since forgotten what it was. Maybe I'll take a walk up there this weekend and write it down and look it up again.

I'll have to check into where the monies came from although the land that I used to use has been state forest land for decades, maybe as much as 50 or more years...

Can anyone recommend an outdoor public shooting range in NH? Preferably southern NH?

Are there any state land public ranges in NH, like the Martin Burns range in MA?
There has to be a sand pit somewhere. I'd ask some people at the local shop if they know of any. I can think of at least 2 in Southern Maine that I've shot at. Like 15 minutes over the NH/ME border

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

There are sand pits around for sure, but most who know them are justifiably protective of them. All it takes is one jackass to get it shut down. Not that anyone here would do that, but you never know.

Good question...I don't know the answer to that...I do know that hunting is allowed in many of the DRED lands but according to the signs that went up a year or so ago, target shooting is not allowed. There was even an RSA number at the bottom of the sign which I have since forgotten what it was. Maybe I'll take a walk up there this weekend and write it down and look it up again.

I'll have to check into where the monies came from although the land that I used to use has been state forest land for decades, maybe as much as 50 or more years...

That law went into effect in 1937 so it may mean that they can't restrict target shooting either. It was our town's treasurer who told me about this as our town was discussing buying 600+ acres to "keep it pure" from a developer and he told me that the NIMBYs would have a stroke if we bought the land because hunting and shooting would not have been prohibited.

That law went into effect in 1937 so it may mean that they can't restrict target shooting either. It was our town's treasurer who told me about this as our town was discussing buying 600+ acres to "keep it pure" from a developer and he told me that the NIMBYs would have a stroke if we bought the land because hunting and shooting would not have been prohibited.

Just curious--what's a NIMBY?

FIY, I've been e-mailing with the folks at Bear Brook State Park. They said it may not be fully posted yet, but target shooting is no longer allowed at Bear Brook State Park and Pawtuckaway State Park. They are not aware of any other parks that have changed the policy and believe you can still shoot in any of the state forest reservations.

FIY, I've been e-mailing with the folks at Bear Brook State Park. They said it may not be fully posted yet, but target shooting is no longer allowed at Bear Brook State Park and Pawtuckaway State Park. They are not aware of any other parks that have changed the policy and believe you can still shoot in any of the state forest reservations.

what if you tell them you're just letting rounds fly until something happens to stop them? promise to not affix any targets anywhere. you are shooting in a general direction and not at anything in particular. the death blossom.

what if you tell them you're just letting rounds fly until something happens to stop them? promise to not affix any targets anywhere. you are shooting in a general direction and not at anything in particular. the death blossom.
I'm going to take a wild guess you are not a salesman... [laugh]

So I found this pursuant to target shooting on DRED lands:

Readopt with amendment Res 7301.10, effective 1-1-06 (Document #8532), to read as follows:
Res 7301.10 Firearms.
(a) No person shall [use] discharge a firearm within 300 feet of [a] developed recreation areas [or] when occupied [building, or within 300 feet of trails or roads], including parking lots, administrative and maintenance facilities, dwellings, camps, cabins and yurts, bathhouses, campgrounds, campsites, playgrounds, ball fields, beaches, pavilions, picnic areas, and boat launches, lawful use of firearms pursuant to RSA 627 excepted.
(b) Target shooting shall not be permitted, except as allowed at Nash Stream state forest and on the Connecticut Lakes Headwaters Tract in accordance with the public recreation management plan, in which such activity shall be non-commercial in nature with all targets removed daily. Any targets left shall be removed by authorized DRED personnel, for which DRED shall not be held liable or responsible for loss of property. Initial Proposal 07/26/13 7

Curiously, hunting is allowed,

Back
Top Bottom