Any other Whovians?

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
We finished the "Dalek" story from 1963 last night. Awesome!

This episode illustrates all too clearly that "the supreme beings of the Univerrrrrrsssssse!" aren't that supreme.

I've never been able to get "into" any Doctor since Tom Baker. These early ones are downright fascinating. Indifferent Jr. is totally into it. He is going to LOVE Tom Baker, and neither of us have any idea what to expect with Troughton or Pertwee, but I suspect we'll love them. Pertwee always reminded me of sort of a pre-Baker Tom Baker. Troughton always looked like Moe Howard to me.

This is going to be good.

I'll have to check it out.

I haven't watched much since the Baker years either.

Daleks. Their slogan would be The Ultimate Rolling Machine. :D

Anyway, as to this new development of the Dr. becoming a woman, I watched the video above when it was posted by Lowbird, and all I can say is WTF? Why chuck all canon out the window the same way J.J. Abrams did when he took over Star Trek? And I'm not even talking about the Dr. being a woman. The entire scene leading up to that was bullshit.

Dr. gives this inane soliloquy about being nice to everyone, and then regenrates. But the regeneration process from the old shows is supposed to be more of a non-event. No fireworks. No plasma streams. No crippling damage to the Tardis. And if that was the way he regenerated, wouldn't you think he'd set down on some planet somewhere and step outside the damn control room?

Just stupid crap to try and hook a younger generation that probably doesn't even care one iota about this show. Especially with stories like the one described in the second video.

I just watched these two vids. This guy, Dave Cullen, does some great reviews of Sci Fi shows and movies, plus other items that grab his attention.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ho boy....i was WONDERING why i did not try to even watch season 9! I could SENSE i would throw something heavy at my TV screen half way thru

Lowbird

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Time to bump.
Anyone watch the new episode today?

Didn't feel like your average Who episode.
It felt more Torchwood. Which seems proper with the change in showrunners.

Overall Jodie isn't quite the Doctor yet.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to bump.
Anyone watch the new episode today?

Didn't feel like your average Who episode.
It felt more Torchwood. Which seems proper with the change in showrunners.

Overall Jodie isn't quite the Doctor yet.
I am going to reserve my judgement until I see a few more episodes...

I found the episode a little predictable, and a few short cuts we made, (Oh, I didn't mention that halfway though the episode I took care of that pesky problem? Well, I did and now it is pivotal in closing the episode. Ta-da!) but there were some less great episodes in the other seasons too. Maybe this was one of them.

I am interested to see if further episodes retain some of the less subtle preachy moments. The two that stick in my mind are "Only an idiot carries a knife" and "You had no right to do that!". There was another anti-knife jab thrown in about "...now without Sheffield steel" too. All three of those statements could have been left out with no change to the episode. It felt a little like it was pushing the current UK politically correct view.

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How long before she crashes the Tardis?
Apparently, in the first episode...
Yeap, first episode the Tardis went wtf and kicked her out.

I grew up on Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker, really like David Tennent and Matt Smith. The last one Peter Capaldi, was awful, just a curmudgeon, could not take to him at all. Time will tell on the new one, girl or not the dr is a major role in tv history, Jury is still out for me on this one. Maybe I will like her or I will have to tell the world how she touched me back in school.

Harry

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well she ain't no tom baker.

I will probably watch, but what is with the loud background music the entire show? Like the producers KNEW we would get bored, and wanted to jazz things up?

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am interested to see if further episodes retain some of the less subtle preachy moments. The two that stick in my mind are "Only an idiot carries a knife" and "You had no right to do that!". There was another anti-knife jab thrown in about "...now without Sheffield steel" too. All three of those statements could have been left out with no change to the episode. It felt a little like it was pushing the current UK politically correct view.
Political correctness from the Bolshevik Brainwashing Corporation? No way.

I watched Dr. Who as a kid up to Jon Pertwee, I think. Stopped at Tom Baker.

Lowbird

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Yeah, they're pushing the "It's about time" schtick.

Time for a woman is the most glaring. Among the other metaphors.

The "she's my doctor" thing is a bit depressing from the socials. Yes there is someone with bewbs on your telly. The character has always brought people together. Now like most things PC. There is forced divide or line to stand in.

I had hoped the grandmother would be like a new Wilf. She would have been a good recurring character.

RubiconLJ

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came away from the first episode underwhelmed. She is nearly as unintelligible to these 52 year old American ears as Capaldi was. Hated the PC qualities as well, they are getting worse each series. The knife references, whites a minority, etc.

I want to watch to be entertained, not preached at.

I can't remember if it was during Baker or Davidson that they, as a joke, showed that the Time Lords could change gender, the fact that the character is now female had no bearing on my opinion.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the fact that the character is now female had no bearing on my opinion.
the character is now a relatively ugly female has some effect on me! If she has no eye candy to dangle...she had better be a GREAT ACTOR (she is not) and the writing had better be top notch (which it was not).

I will watch the next episode, since some time it takes a few episodes for a new ScFi theme to start firing on all cylinders. But, sadly, i do not think this one has a full tank of gas.

BTW, i DO give the writers props for their nod to the Quakermass And the Pit dueling cranes:

Last edited:

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well at least I could understand most of what this lady says. That old guy's speech was mostly a jumbled up high speed garbled unintelligible mess, combined with a British accent that an American is trying to listen to, and you have a bad listening situation. And I'd prefer she be hotter, although she is not unattractive.

And they really need to get over this "OMG gunzzz!"... the bad guy was unarmed. One gun would have solved the problem early. Instead, a bunch of people needlessly died, all for your virtue signaling. Gun control kills.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
anyone able to stomach a full episode of the new Female Doctor?

it is just amazingly horrible. Ugh!

Lowbird

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I've been doing the DVR thing. Working now.
I will likely skip this Rosa Parks episode.
Just because.
Last episode was ok. Still not a Who episode to me yet.

New control room? I don't know about it yet.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I was reserving judgement until I saw a few more episodes.

I am not impressed. I am bordering on not even interested.
Yeah, where are the soul eating statues that u can not turn your back on. If the actors are gonna suck, there had better be some good writing

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
anyone able to stomach a full episode of the new Female Doctor?

it is just amazingly horrible. Ugh!
It is rather meh. Lousy acting. Boring story line. Annoying stupid comments about evil guns and knives..... For crying out loud, you have a time machine that could literally end everything, and dealing with aliens that have massive weaponry, and you are whining about how evil a pea shooter is. There isn't even any eye candy (Rose, Amy Pond).

Meh.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is rather meh. Lousy acting. Boring story line. Annoying stupid comments about evil guns and knives..... For crying out loud, you have a time machine that could literally end everything, and dealing with aliens that have massive weaponry, and you are whining about how evil a pea shooter is. There isn't even any eye candy (Rose, Amy Pond).

Meh.
Bring back that Huntress woman who was Baker’s sidekick

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
the character is now a relatively ugly female has some effect on me! If she has no eye candy to dangle...she had better be a GREAT ACTOR (she is not) and the writing had better be top notch (which it was not).

I will watch the next episode, since some time it takes a few episodes for a new ScFi theme to start firing on all cylinders. But, sadly, i do not think this one has a full tank of gas.

BTW, i DO give the writers props for their nod to the Quakermass And the Pit dueling cranes:

Wait, they used that as a story line?

Released in the U.S. as Five Million Years to Earth

northframingham

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Not impressed. Giving it a 3 stars.
Will watch it, due to being a Dr Who fan.
Wish they went another direction.
Heard they considered having Idris Alba play the Dr; before they chose to have a woman play the roll.
He would have been better than her.

IdrisAlba.jpg

RubiconLJ

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DVRd it and deleted it l
Bring back that Huntress woman who was Baker’s sidekick
Leela and then Peri after her.

Louise Jameson and Nicola Bryant still don't look bad for their ages.

Deleted this week's recording about 5 minutes in, couldn't take it any more.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow... now I am regretting never watching Doctor Who as a child. I didn't know about Leela. I did know about Romana I and II. I think I need to go find the old episodes and do some catching up...

man you missed a lot.
She was to Doctor Who, like Worf was to Piccard.

Leela: "let me kill him with my knife"
Doctor: "woah, wait, there might be a better way to handle this"....

Top Bottom