• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

any opinions on build material and quality on compact pistols?

Lol, no, it's not, ergos are a big deal. Its easier to shoot better if you don't have to constantly fight an ergonomic deficiency of a given gun.

Would you buy a car that had seats that don't fit your body well? Guns that are annoying or ergo disasters don't promote use and training.

I think especially if you’re jacked up on adrenalin.

That’s why I like the G43X, it’s G19 size but narrower, and in mass the 10 round capacity works well. I have a gen 5 G19 and a 17 round preban but not too thrilled to carry a 30 year old mag. The P365 feels more solid than the G43X, it’s feels really well made. But not sure that matters.
I like this idea but how do you buy a G43X in mass, other than looking for used ones at dealers is their another way to do it?

Guys, he only has 152 posts, be gentle.

Move to a free state. There, I said it.
LOL, yup I know the commie state of MASS, CT, NY, CA etc..... every state has different draw backs though. I think in Mass certain back door deals were done to help different gun makers out ..

Go to a rental range and try out a bunch, if you're by the Cape check out Cape Gun Works in Hyannis. The gun rental is by the hour not by gun(or maybe they were just super cool about it that day) and had my mother try about 5 pistols and only paid the fee for a 1 hour pistol rental. She didn't even bother to shot one or two of them, couldn't manipulate the slide with her arthritis. IIRC I'm pretty sure Mass Firearms hits you up per pistol.

Hi, I am in the market for a 9mm compact carry pistol, and looking at p365, Hellcat, Ruger Max-9 and the M&P line (not sure what one maybe M2.0 or Shield PLUS). Out of these 4 what one might have better build quality or are they all using the same material and Metal injection molding (MIM)? I have handled all of these guns and would like to pick one over the other if I thought one had a quality advantage.

I seriously doubt you'll notice much of a difference in terms of build quality and fit and finish when you're talking about cheap guns around $500 +/- $100. None of the guns you mentioned have been built to especially high standards. Its like going to car dealerships and asking about the quality differences between Kias and Hyundais. These guns are all built to a price point to fill a spot in a company's product line.

I'm not saying these guns are inherently bad, I'm saying that they're all very pedestrian in a good way. People buy them because they're reliable, inexpensive, and somewhat disposable. If a Shield or P365 went into an evidence locker for five years and rusted shut, it wouldn't be the same kind of loss to the owner as say loosing a HK P7.

When you get to $800-1500 guns, then its time to start niggling over parts manufacture, long term endurance, fit and finish, and overall quality. But asking for quality and cheap price is usually mutually exclusive unless you're interested in milsurp guns, but those have enough quirks usually to disqualify them from any defensive use.

I seriously doubt you'll notice much of a difference in terms of build quality and fit and finish when you're talking about cheap guns around $500 +/- $100. None of the guns you mentioned have been built to especially high standards. Its like going to car dealerships and asking about the quality differences between Kias and Hyundais. These guns are all built to a price point to fill a spot in a company's product line.

I'm not saying these guns are inherently bad, I'm saying that they're all very pedestrian in a good way. People buy them because they're reliable, inexpensive, and somewhat disposable. If a Shield or P365 went into an evidence locker for five years and rusted shut, it wouldn't be the same kind of loss to the owner as say loosing a HK P7.

When you get to $800-1500 guns, then its time to start niggling over parts manufacture, long term endurance, fit and finish, and overall quality. But asking for quality and cheap price is usually mutually exclusive unless you're interested in milsurp guns, but those have enough quirks usually to disqualify them from any defensive use.
I am willing to spend up to $900 maybe 1k, and actually I am thinking a gun about the size of the p365XL any other quality guns come to mind in the size range?

I am willing to spend up to $900 maybe 1k, and actually I am thinking a gun about the size of the p365XL any other quality guns come to mind in the size range?

Depends.

Do you want a manual safety?
Do you want a push button mag release?
How heavy of a trigger can you tolerate?
Are you interested in mounting a red dot?
How do you intend to carry? AIWB, IWB, OWB?

If you gave me $1000 tomorrow and told me to buy a compact 9x19 carry gun, it'd probably be a G43X or G48 and I'd have the slide milled for an Aimpoint Acro P-2.

Do you want a manual safety? no preference
Do you want a push button mag release? no preference
How heavy of a trigger can you tolerate? no preference
Are you interested in mounting a red dot? no preference
How do you intend to carry? IWB I think, I been pocket carrying a S&W revolver 640 harmless snub nose but I think I will struggle with IWB to be honest but somthing I have to get used to. Its transitioning in and out of cars that's bugging me, in my pocket hard to get at when sitting in car. and IWB feel odd when sitting in car for winter I may try a shoulder rig not sure yet.

Screenshot_20210922-053949.png

How do you intend to carry? IWB I think, I been pocket carrying a S&W revolver 640 harmless snub nose but I think I will struggle with IWB to be honest but somthing I have to get used to. Its transitioning in and out of cars that's bugging me, in my pocket hard to get at when sitting in car. and IWB feel odd when sitting in car for winter I may try a shoulder rig not sure yet.
AIWB is king for carrying in the car.

If you don't have a preference on any of these questions, I would strongly advise shooting a bunch of the firearms in the class, and developing a couple. Otherwise you have no way to know if what you're choosing is right for you.

On the topic of the car - how much of your life is in a car; how often is that car unlocked, windows down, stopped in traffic, in places and at times where dangerous people might approach? If this isn't a significant portion of your life, you may be making changes for no appreciable gain. If you're really worried, maybe try a jacket pocket with the gun you're already training with. Otherwise, as @kalash notes, you won't get much easier access in a car than the front of your beltline (AIWB).

Hi, I am in the market for a 9mm compact carry pistol, and looking at p365, Hellcat, Ruger Max-9 and the M&P line (not sure what one maybe M2.0 or Shield PLUS). Out of these 4 what one might have better build quality or are they all using the same material and Metal injection molding (MIM)? I have handled all of these guns and would like to pick one over the other if I thought one had a quality advantage.
Plastic is good on all of these guns and is rarely something that fails(I did crack my Glock 43 frame with a "spicy" round once: it cracked at the top of the slide release bar channel). I'd focus on other attributes. Add the following to your list of features to consider: The shape of the gun and how it aids in concealing(does it print or not) and the trigger.
Trigger on 365 is a lot better than the Hellcat and S&W(I'm assuming that Shield Plus uses the same trigger). It also has edges shaved off enough that it doesn't print on clothing. At least when compared to Hellcat and Ruger. I have not seen or handled the new Shield Plus but if it's similar to prior gen Shields, it will not print as much either.

Back
Top Bottom