• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any opinion on the CMP 1911 program?

Can a Mass resident buy this and have it shipped in? It's a maybe an 80 something year old firearm can't I buy it on my 007 C&R from the original purchaser ?
Of course you can, 50 years old or older is the definition. And if you have an 07 C&R that would be quite something since that would make you a manufacturer of C&R items I think! C&R is an 03FFL.

IIRC they had a drawing where you could win one. I was at 619DW a few months ago and there was a guy there picking up one that he had won. Looked pretty decent.

No you didn't win the pistol, you won the opportunity to BUY one. There were 10,000 spots available to all buyers, so they did a random draw to pick the potential buyers.

will cmp see "residency" when they do thier back ground check?

lets say OP gets in on the next batch. List NH address and nH FFL but When CMP does their 4473 will there be conflicting info?
I have no idea what info gets looked at with a 4473
Lets say the back ground check shows massachusetts LTC will cmp look at this as lying ?

CMP will not do a 4473. They will be doing a dealer to dealer transfer. Again, use ONLY your NH address in all documentation and you will be fine.

For anyone coming in late, this is 100% in complete compliance with ATF guidance on the residency and vacation/weekend homes.

The question that lingers in my mind is what if say someone in NH or Maine or Timbucktwo, buys one, and six or seven months later decides he needs cash and sells it. Can a Mass resident buy this and have it shipped in? It's a maybe an 80 something year old firearm can't I buy it on my 03 C&R from the original purchaser ? Edited for fat fingered typing. Thanks

So the question is whether the MA dealer can legally transfer it. I don't know the answer, but some factors.

1) It meets C&R criteria and is certainly pre-98 ban.
2) It is most likely not on EOPS roster.
3) it is most likely compliant with the tyrant's "safety" regs since it has a manual safety.

Len??

Last edited:
So the question is whether the MA dealer can legally transfer it. I don't know the answer, but some factors.

1) its an antique. Meets C&R criteria and is certainly pre-98 ban.
3) it is most likely compliant with the tyrant's "safety" regs since it has a manual safety.

Len??
We're talking 1911s here, right? Not something made in the late 1800s (antique).

It is NOT an antique. It is merely a C&R and until (maybe) 2021 MA dealers aren't supposed to transfer off-list C&Rs to MA C&R FFLs.

You don't know what brand you will get until you get it, but you can bet that those brands won't be on any EOPS Roster.

I agree that they would most likely be compliant with the AG's CMR.

1) its an antique. Meets C&R criteria and is certainly pre-98 ban.

Len??
It is NOT an antique. It is merely a C&R and until (maybe) 2021 MA dealers aren't supposed to transfer off-list C&Rs to MA C&R FFLs.

CMP will not do a 4473. They will be doing a dealer to dealer transfer. Again, use ONLY your NH address in all documentation and you will be fine.

For anyone coming in late, this is 100% in complete compliance with ATF guidance on the residency and vacation/weekend homes.

@dcmdon you are wrong on this. It is stupid but they are:

"A NICS background check on each customer will be performed by the FBI to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer."

See 1911 Information - Civilian Marksmanship Program

What happens in 2021?? (maybe)
The 2014 law has a provision that doesn't take effect until 2021 . . . that would allow MA dealers to transfer C&R guns that aren't on the EOPS List to C&R FFL holders (ONLY). I would expect that law to get amended to kill that provision, but it may have to wait until after the election cycle ends.

@dcmdon you are wrong on this. It is stupid but they are:

"A NICS background check on each customer will be performed by the FBI to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer."

See 1911 Information - Civilian Marksmanship Program

Nope. You are wrong. A NICS check is not the same thing as a 4473. Although they are done together when a gun is delivered at retail.

A 4473 is a specific federal form that is done IN THE PRESENCE of the transferring dealer AND SIGNED IN PERSON BY THE BUYER. In other words, while you are picking up the gun. I have provided a link to ATF Form 4473 for your reference.

The law only requires a NICS check when the gun is picked up. But the CMP is free to do an additional one before shipping. I certainly can't read their minds, but it makes sense to do this to reduce the number of returned guns because of NICS denials. Better to catch it before it ships.

Back
Top Bottom