• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any one have experience with Kel-tec

GLOCK-22

NES Member
I was thinking if getting a Kel-Tec RDB 5.56 Bullpup anyone have one and how is it.

I know it's a stupid question but it's not like other states gun shops have ranges so you can shoot the gun before you buy it I am cheap and hate spending money on some thing not like it and sell it a month later.

Thank you.

29867__42086.1515477757.jpg

I have one, it’s okay. Except for the part where the mag won’t stay in because the release is in the *perfect* spot to get bumped.

I was thinking if getting a Kel-Tec RDB 5.56 Bullpup anyone have one and how is it.

I know it's a stupid question but it's not like other states gun shops have ranges so you can shoot the gun before you buy it I am cheap and hate spending money on some thing not like it and sell it a month later.

Thank you.

View attachment 273188

I don't know much about the RDB but I own two bullpups and they are fun to shoot. I like the way the RDB ejects brass straight down from the back and the non-reciprocating charging handle. Bullpups tend to be overgassed and when suppressed you take a face full of gas. The downward ejector makes that a non-issue. Buy one and tell us about it!

EDIT: I just looked up the price, that's the least expensive bullpup I've ever seen. Buy two and duel wield.

Last edited:
I heard something about that that's why am asking about it.

Now is that because your a right handed shooter or it don't matter because the gun is ambi.

I am a lefty and most Bullpups don't work for me I do have a Tavor SAR and I like it but just looking for some thing different it the Kel-tec is different and the price right.

Plus I havd the Kel-Tec shot gun and like it I pit about 400 dollars in up grades to that shot gun though.

It won’t matter; the release is centered behind the pistol grip, and releases by being pushed backwards.

other than break, what will the RDB do that your tavor SAR cannot?

--
i own a keltec RFB and all i can say is they are a horrible company. they have very interesting designs that are executed with pot metal and crap polymer. none of their firearms are built for heavy use. my RFB could not cycle a single round out of the box. keltec CS was incredibly douchie about servicing the rifle. despite me purchasing it like a week earlier, they insisted i prove i was original owner. apparently if you buy a keltec in private sale then you are SOL for warranty. they insisted i have the FFL send a copy of my 4473 to which I told them to go pound sand.

they had my RFB for over 2 months and wouldn't indicate to me what work was done. clearly many parts were replaced. it now runs fine at least over ~100 rounds. however I cannot bring myself to sell the thing given how abnoxious Keltec has been...i wouldn't want to punt that on someone else if the gun still has issues.

--
now the RDB is unquestionably a superior design to the RFB. the ejection system is better. the design is less intricate. i think keltec really has a winner in the RDB. if any other company manufacturered the rifle I would have purchased it. i do still ahve greivances with the design like the retarded magazine release, way too many gas settings, gas adjusment is backwards such that screwing inward actually releases more gas into the piston (beyond stupid).

Last edited:
rdbs-right.png
Im thinking one of these would be better. Featureless.... leave Maura scratching her head.

The size of that front sight makes me want to gag.

rdbs-right.png

The picture showed a RDB-S, S for survival.
The purpose of this model is for someone to pack it in a backpack, and trek several days in wildness. The funny-looking front sight can be folded back,to form a smooth contour.

aFV0V7I.jpg

I read review saying that RDB-S is customized for backpacking to the extreme. The pencil-thin barrel is not good for range practice or plinking.

Last edited:
rdb-right.png

For this RDB 17 to be Massachusetts cmpliant,the FFL that receives it needs to remove the flash hider, put on a $50 muzzle brake, and weld it for another $50.
I like its pistol grip but dislike the magazine release.

Last edited:
rdbc-right.png

This is RDB-C, C for compliance. This should be available to MA as is.
I felt it at mass firearms. The grip is workable but feels strange. My SKS and Mosin's grip feels much better. This RDB-C model has a potential to get familiar to my hands and work comfortably.
What concerns me is lack of reliability and lack of track record. With reported light primer strike and fail to stop firing, there is no way I am going to use it in home defense. If I ever need a rifle caliber long gun for home defense, I will reach for my super-reliable and super-affordable SKS.
For novelty at shooting range, the $800 price range and Kel Tec's reputation for customer service take the fun out of owning this rifle.
For now, what I saw is tremendous potential in RDB's design. I hope that someone with big wallet and plentiful time can invest in this firearm, so the problems can be revealed, and the ever-innovative Kel Tec will have the financial resource to improve it. Well, if I am retired and rich, I will buy a RDB 17 or RDB-C.

Last edited:
I cannot help but to complain once again in this forum. It is a cardinal sin to ban AR 15 and deprive the best rifle design in 20th century from people of Massachusetts.
In my view, the second best design is AK 47, and the third is SKS.
I finally mount a red dot scope on a Yugoslavian SKS. It held zero for more than a hundred rounds at this point of testing. I found that I have much less yearning for a $2000 pre ban AR 15, or a $800 troublesome RDB.
I firmly believe that either RDB stays immature and troublesome, or it evolves into a reliable $800 semi auto 5.56 firearm, and gets banned by Massachusetts government.
Anyone reviewing the votes between Healy and MacMahon will notice that gun-restricting Healy got 80% of the votes, despite all out effort of gun lovers. Most people in Massachusetts does not like guns. Current policy will not change soon. Or worse, new bill may pass, and SKS, S W MP 15 22, Ruger PC Carbine etc. will also get banned here.
It may be worth the trouble to buy RDB right now,and wait for it to mature. Kel Tec promises life time warranty anyway.
Just imagine some day in the year of 2235,you tell your great great ... great grand son that you supported the development of the greatest rifle design in 21st century, and point to the million dollar-worth RDB in his hands.

Last edited:
The truth was I was going to get a CZ Bren pistol first and SBR it then get the RDB after because i have the shot gun and I like it plus the RDB I can get cheap around $800 dollars.

I was going to get a Beretta ARX100 SBR but the place i was dealing with turned in to a DUCH and said they can't ship that to Massachusetts because of the Assault wepons ban I told them get real its not on the list if we can have FN Scar -Tavor - FN PS90 we can have the Beretta we can't have AR 15 OR AK 47

I even sent them over all the laws and the said its to unclear in Ma**h***chusetts.

The ARX 100 is about as cool as syphilis. Whichever dealer denied you an ARX was doing a favor. The Bren is a world class rifle. Unless you’re clearing houses (or outhouses), the Bren rifle will be far more functional than SBR. CZ makes parts available on their website directly to the public. Have you met anyone who got a lemon CZ Bren? I haven’t. They’re a company from whom I can easily buy a rifle.

The ACR, despite hatred for FG/bushmaster is an excellent design and build quality. To me it’s superior design to the scar and I realize the scar lovers are going to flip out. If you want an oddball rifle consider the Robinson Arms XCR. Nifty design. If they could price more competitively I would get one. They can build rifle in house to accommodate the MA nonsense. Or if you’re a real creep like me could also dump a few $k into custom mini 14 builds.

Back
Top Bottom