• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any of you mounted a scope on an M1 Carbine?

JayMcB

NES Member
Assachusetts when necessary. NH when possible
One of the most frustrating things about getting older is diminished visual acuity.

I recently bought a c.1943 M1 Carbine. I find it entertaining to shoot, but reaching out to 100 yards and further to shoot it is just past my ability to see. [frown]

Have any of you put a scope on one? I see a scout scope mount, http://www.ultimak.com/BuyM1C.htm but don't know which scope to use with it.

I've seen rings that allow you to keep your irons, and this is the way I'd rather go

So, NES brain trust...any ideas?

I'm sure your aware but just about any 40's vintage M1 Carbine is worth north of $700 today. Many, 2x that. So as long as your not having to alter your gun (at all!) , I don't see any harm in trying. (I assume that mount goes on without interference with the handgun?) Given the Carbines intended range, I'd say any "scout" scope in the 1-4 power range would work. So would a 2-3 moa red dot. The key is the ability to get super long eye relief.

Keeping in mind that it was a gun show, the cheapest one I saw yesterday in Marlboro was a bit over $900.00. A younger guy next to me had a CMP muzzle erosion gauge and it measured out right a "2". The guy told me that the upper limit for any .30 caliber rifle was 2. The ones that were around "1" on the gauge were all over $1000.00. That's the reason I bought a Kahr M1 Carbine. I like to shoot mine and I'd be hard pressed to do that a lot with an original.

To the OP, I share your problem with diminishing visual acuity. I'm looking at a mount and scope for my Carbine as well.

I'm sure your aware but just about any 40's vintage M1 Carbine is worth north of $700 today. Many, 2x that. So as long as your not having to alter your gun (at all!) , I don't see any harm in trying. (I assume that mount goes on without interference with the handgun?) Given the Carbines intended range, I'd say any "scout" scope in the 1-4 power range would work. So would a 2-3 moa red dot. The key is the ability to get super long eye relief.

You don't need really long eye relief. The scope will be closer than a hand gun even mounted out over th r hand guard. The ultimak is the most common mount. B square used to make one and also a few used to take the place of the rear sight.
With the lack of accuracy the carbine has I think a nice cross hair might be better than a a red dot?
Best I can offer is I helped my friend put his mount and scope on the Kahr arms M1 carbine and he used the vortex scout scope.

Last edited:
You don't need really long eye relief. The scope will be closer than a hand gun even mounted out over th r hand guard. The ultimak is the most common mount. B square used to make one and also a few used to take the place of the rear sight.
With the lack of accuracy the carbine has I think a nice cross hair might be better than a a red dot?
Best I can offer is I helped my friend put his mount and scope on the Kahr arms M1 carbine and he used the vortex scout scope.

The ultimak is the plan, because it can be rolled back to original. I'll look into the Vortex.

Double that, I bought my '43 from the cmp for 750 last year which was a solid price but they've only gone up because the supply is gone, many carbines are worth more as parts than holes, but id expect to be looming at $1200 for a nice war gun, maybe as low as 900 for a post war configuration.

I'm nearly positive I've seen handguard replacements with rail attached, If you can find one I have 3 handguards at home that are repro's, I'd be willing to donate one to the cause If it meant not fouling up some history. Perhaps something like Leopold's scout sight would work or maybe the Eotech with magnifier?

Keeping in mind that it was a gun show, the cheapest one I saw yesterday in Marlboro was a bit over $900.00. A younger guy next to me had a CMP muzzle erosion gauge and it measured out right a "2". The guy told me that the upper limit for any .30 caliber rifle was 2. The ones that were around "1" on the gauge were all over $1000.00. That's the reason I bought a Kahr M1 Carbine. I like to shoot mine and I'd be hard pressed to do that a lot with an original.

To the OP, I share your problem with diminishing visual acuity. I'm looking at a mount and scope for my Carbine as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't alter a vintage M1 Carbine since it's a collector's piece at this point. My dad has one my great uncle brought back from the war and I'm pretty sure it's seen less than 100 rounds down the pipe. I would definitely not want to touch that one, but something like a Kahr reproduction, yeah.

I don't have any experience with the Ultimak rail but they have a good reputation. Amega also offers an M1 Carbine scout rail, and I do have first hand experience with their product. Their Mini-14 rail is nice and well built, but really heavy. It definitely adds a fair amount of weight to the rifle. The Ultimak rails tend to be lower profile, but Amega cuts a channel down the middle of the rail so you can keep using your irons. Both are not permanent modifications, so you can put the old furniture back on it if you want. Ultimak or Amega are the way I would go.

Back
Top Bottom