Any notice the heavy traffic in gun shops lately?

I know that firearm purchases has been at their zenith for quite a while but this past week on Thursday and Friday afternoon I visited three shops in different parts of CT. The first clue that things were busy was that I had to actually find a parking space. Really! I figured that one of the other businesses must have been drawing customers but I was wrong. When I got into the shops, it was like a Saturday morning at the barbershop. There had to be 20 people (both men and women) at least, browsing the shelves and displays. There were multiple customers examining handguns and rifles, both. The clerks were handling two or three at a time and the registers were ringing. No kidding. I actually felt like I was in a super-market constantly saying "excuse me" as I traveled through the isles.

The other thing I've noticed is the supply on display of just about every item you can imagine supporting the firearms. Ammo is now once again in plentiful supply as opposed to a year ago when you could NOT find .380 ball ammo anywhere at any price. Back then I ended up ordering online and that supply was gone in a morning. Now, ammo is plentiful and back to reasonable prices, especially for plinking ammo. In two stores (Riverview and Hoffman's) both had to have every single holster available from all the major manufacturers and a few from other less known makers. Cleaning supplies and reloading supplies are also in full stock once again. Guys had to have both hands with what they were carrying out the door.

My wife works in E. Hartford and from time to time she's gone to Cabela's for me at lunch. She's told me similar stories about two-deep at the firearm counter so much so that she can't get a clerk to find what I asked here to get for me.

Seems like the firearms business has once again come into its own.

Remember the lack of cigar shops 20 years ago? Remember when the younger generation 'rediscovered' the art of smoking good cigars and the blossoming of shops all over the place to serve that demand? That's where we seem to be right now only with firearms. I sometimes wonder what's driving people this time but it seems that the answers are pretty obvious......and exciting to see.

Anyone else notice high-traffic volumes at your local shops during the weekday?

Rome

Last edited:
I know that firearm purchases has been at their zenith for quite a while but this past week on Thursday and Friday afternoon I visited three shops in different parts of CT. The first clue that things were busy was that I had to actually find a parking space. Really! I figured that one of the other businesses must have been drawing customers but I was wrong. When I got into the shops, it was like a Saturday morning at the barbershop. There had to be 20 people (both men and women) at least, browsing the shelves and displays. There were multiple customers examining handguns and rifles, both. The clerks were handling two or three at a time and the registers were ringing. No kidding. I actually felt like I was in a super-market constantly saying "excuse me" as I traveled through the isles.

Four Seasons or Collectors every Saturday. Mostly due to square footage[laugh]

I think my generation (24 y/o) is definitely rediscovering the 2nd Amendment. Up until a few months ago purchasing a handgun hadn't even crossed my mind. Then my girlfriend revealed she had wanted one for a long time and blew me away with her knowledge of handguns (not every day you find a 5'1" asian girl drooling over a Glock, lol). So I started researching them, and a few weeks ago my buddy took me to a range for the first time... and I can successfully say I'm hooked, haha. I took my safety course at MFS last week, and when I get back from vacation next week I'm handing in my LTC-A application. I've also recently found out that I have 4 other good friends who have their LTC-A and would have never guessed!

You would be shocked to find out just how many people you know have their permit.

I was at a black-tie event a couple of years ago. There were 10 of us at the table. The subject of firearms came up somehow in the discussion. I ended up asking the table just how man of us had their permits. Eight people raised their hands!

Rome

I have seen the opposite.

In SW CT, the shops have been fairly dead as of late. Empty for the most part.

Not much used inventory coming in, or going out......

gun club sign ups are on the rise, I just signed up in early January to BRP and from average 50-60 newcomers, they had 120 that day.

I was at Four Seasons today and it was packed. There was a lot of people in the area due to the Shriners gun show.
The show was busy before they opened the doors.
It seems this administration has stimulated one sector of the economy.

I was at Bass Pro last week and they had people taking numbers in the firearm section.

Everyone I know now either has their permit or is in the process. We just brought a guy out to the Shriners yesterday. He just got his permit on wednesday and we helped him sort through all the options. He settled on a Glock 22 for his first gun. I almost shed a tear!

PS: I have not been able to find .45 acp around my area at all latley.... .380 is plentiful .... walmart lifted their 6 box limit , and between 2 tables at the gun show 50 bodyguards were sold before lunch time. o_O;

My wife and I spent the day hitting firearm shops here in southern nh,all of them were packed Riley's being the worse.I'm not big on crowds but I deal with it.We went out to eat and every place we wanted to go had a line.

I have a habit of being snide because I get uncomfortable in crowded spots...my wife kept pinching my back to keep me in cheque.

I think it has a lot to do with everyone getting there tax returns. As soon as I found out what my return was I started hitting the shops to decide what I wanted.

No offense to 4Seasons, but I've stopped going there to browse. It's just too damn crowded. You can't look at anything, it takes 45 minutes to buy a box of ammo because you can't get near the counter, and everyone's buying guns so all the employees are nose-deep in paperwork and on the phone. I still go there when I need to get something specific, but as far as casual browsing, it's no good. At least not at the times when I can make it there, which is late Thurs and Sat.

No offense to 4Seasons, but I've stopped going there to browse. It's just too damn crowded. You can't look at anything, it takes 45 minutes to buy a box of ammo because you can't get near the counter, and everyone's buying guns so all the employees are nose-deep in paperwork and on the phone. I still go there when I need to get something specific, but as far as casual browsing, it's no good. At least not at the times when I can make it there, which is late Thurs and Sat.
My experience exactly (not to mention the Rte 128 traffic hassle).

For better or worse, my time is always better spent elsewhere.

CLMN

My experience exactly (not to mention the Rte 128 traffic hassle).

For better or worse, my time is always better spent elsewhere.

CLMN

I went there after the show yesterday, my friend wanted some 45 ACP. Carl took care of us in 10 minutes, while everyone else was looking or buying guns. You are right on the browsing, best time is Thursday evening.

Any Notice the heavy traffic in gun shops lately ?
" No offense to 4Seasons, but I've stopped going there to browse. It's just too damn crowded. "

I've bought maybe 5 guns from Carl , over 5 years. And he recognizes me when I come in. There's a reason why his shop is so successful. North Shore Firearms is the same way. I can barely remember who I am related to , but those guys remember thousands of people.

I don't get that feeling at Bass Pro , Kittery or even Reilley's.

[banghead]Please excuse the stupid spelling error in the title of this thread! I ovelooked it and surpirsed that no one here has pointed out the error! Mea Culpa.

Rome

Well since you felt so neglected for no one pointing out the previous spelling errors, please allow me to point out that you incorrectly spelled "ovelooked" and "surpirsed".

Better? [laugh]

IMO gun sales are probably at least halfway to ObamaScare levels, at least on handguns. Any of the bigger shops are getting hammered with sales. I don't think the demand on ammo is nearly as high as it used to be during that infamous period, though.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom