ANY NES AUTO PAINTING MEMBERS

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looking for an NES member that is good at auto body painting. I have a green truck cap that needs to be painted Chevy black. I had an estimate at Worcester Voke, and was told about $475.00, seems a bit high for students of auto painting, especially when it's mostly glass. Anyone interested and good let me know.
Thanks,
Mike

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow, that's cheap? I was going on the thought that if Macco could do a whole car for a few hundred dollars that a truck cap wouldn't be that expensive to paint. But I guess you get what you pay for.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Wow, that's cheap? I was going on the thought that if Macco could do a whole car for a few hundred dollars that a truck cap wouldn't be that expensive to paint. But I guess you get what you pay for.
Last maaco paint job I saw was on a friends car and when we went for a cruise the paint camw off in sheets. They didn't even sand the original paint at all. Laughed our asses off.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Our materials cost alone (for good quality automotive paint) runs almost $100 per panel. A cap would take at least as much material as two panels. The cap needs to be prepped before paint (washed, dried, wax and grease remover, sanded) then it can go in the booth to be painted and baked. 475.00 is a pretty good deal.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Our materials cost alone (for good quality automotive paint) runs almost $100 per panel. A cap would take at least as much material as two panels. The cap needs to be prepped before paint (washed, dried, wax and grease remover, sanded) then it can go in the booth to be painted and baked. 475.00 is a pretty good deal.
This^^^

$475.00 is nothing in the paint world these days. Last gallon I bought of base was 750$. The only reason that the quote is not more is because vocational shops have no/ minimal labor overhead.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Last maaco paint job I saw was on a friends car and when we went for a cruise the paint camw off in sheets. They didn't even sand the original paint at all. Laughed our asses off.
ok, so that ends that idea. I would have been po'ed

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The quote I got said it was water based paint, which I have no idea the difference between types of automotive paints, and one coat of clear. Is water based paint good?

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The quote I got said it was water based paint, which I have no idea the difference between types of automotive paints, and one coat of clear. Is water based paint good?
I believe that everything is water based these days, due to EPA regs -- reduced airborne VOCs.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sell it and buy a black one. Very few on Craigslist are over $475
I looked for 2 months on CL for MA,NH,ME,RI and NY for a black one to fit my bed. The bed is not typical short bed, it is short short, 68" in length due to crew cab. Believe me if I found on I would have bought it. I even searched as far as Albany. A guy had what he considered a black one to fit my truck, as I was fueling up to hit NY I called him just to double check size, it was the 6.5 ft bed.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just for a follow up, I just got the cap back last week. It was painted by students from Worcester Voke Collision and Paint department. All I can say is this is the best dam paint job I ever seen, the work was phenomenal ,the Department head was completely honest, knowledgeable, professional and had the utmost trust in his students. The paint job makes the rest of my truck look bad. I wish these students the absolute best in their careers. If they put this much work into just a truck cap, then they all have one heck of a career in store for them. It turned out awesome.

Top Bottom