• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Maine Reciprocity News?

The law explicitly requires that the other state (1) have licensing requirements at least as strict as Maine and (2) be willing to accept a Maine license. While Massachusetts certainly meets (1), there's no statutory authority for them to enter into reciprocity agreement as required by (2).

Ken

I wouldn't bet on it as Ma doesn't recognize other out of state LTCs,why would they honor ours?
Thats not how it works

just because one state is a d**k towards CCW holder from another state doesn't mean the other state is gonna infringe on a non-resident rights with a CCW permit also

Even tho Mass does not recognises any other state, many state still recognises Masss LTC, those state respects a "citizen right to carry". ( in that state )

That's the way RECIPROCITY WORKS!

Thats not how it works

just because one state is a d**k towards CCW holder from another state doesn't mean the other state is gonna infringe on a non-resident rights with a CCW permit also

Even tho Mass does not recognises any other state, many state still recognises Masss LTC, those state respects a "citizen right to carry". ( in that state )

Reciprocity is a two way agreement, as in reciprocal. Maine is looking to establish Reciprocal Agreements. The original question was, has Maine named ANY states as prime candidates for Reciprocity? It should be assumed that MA would not be amoung them[wink]

Thats not how it works

While there are some states that would accept MA's permit (Utah?) the majority will not... the majority want, with good reason, reciprocal agreements. For example, it could be easily argued that NH not having reciprocity with MA is stupid, but on the other hand MA will not honor NH's permit, so why the heck should NH honor theirs, if their residents don't get anything out of the deal?

-Mike

What are Maine laws regarding requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry? Does NH fit the bill?

Some updated info.

Honors ME Permit:
Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont

ME Permit Not Honored:
Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

ME Res Permits Only:
Michigan

Right Denied:
Illinois, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

Souce:
http://usacarry.com/index.php/interactive-permit-maps.html

OK: Let's revisit this question 5 months later

Back in January, Maine passed a bill that would allow the Attorney General to explore the possability of entering into Reciprocal Agreemnets with other States in honoring their respective CCWs, LTCFs CWPs etc. Since that time, has anything been accomplished? Have any states been disqualified? Are there any states being considered? Or, has this all been a waste of time by Maine's legislators? I would have guessed that Florida would have been a prime candidate, can anyone shed some light on this issue? Inquireing minds need to know[wink]

I emailed with the State Police again (they have been very patient with me and my inquiries) and I received the following reply:

"Jay as you can imagine this has been a very time consuming project due to the magnitude of States and laws we have had to peruse. We are finalizing some states but we still have to check and determine that there have not been any law changes with these states that we are considering. It will be awhile unfortunately. Thanks Lt. Bowler"

I replied by asking if we could expect the results to be announced somewhere so we can just keep an eye out rather than pestering them about it every once in a while. The response:

"When (and if) there is an agreement with a state or states it will most likely hit the media and we would put it up on our website. Again this may take awhile longer so be patient.
Lt. Bowler"

Pretty much what I figured. I assumed that it would take the better part of a year (if not longer) when I first heard that they would be looking at this. The wheels do turn slowly.

Last edited:
Thanks truejabber! It is, at least comforting, that someone else, besides me, cares about the progress of this issue! Should you hear of any progress on this matter, please share it with us. Thank you again, noshow

Back
Top Bottom