Any license renewals since Maura's become Gov?

I wonder if it had something to do when PD/Licensing Officer ran background checks. When you run a BOP check in Mass, some of the selections are "Employment" "Criminal" Firearms Licensing" etc. Sealed records won't come up under "Criminal", but they do come up under "Firearms Licensing" and if I remember correctly they will be mailed to PD. I wonder if they were running the inquiry wrong for a while (not agreeing with the Commonwealth sticking it to you, just noting how it could have been done). Not all cops are the best with computer systems.
I was told at that time a complete review of all files, micro film going as far back as possible was ordered by then Governor Patrick. I believe this look back was extensive and the intention was clearly to harass and revoke.

Yes, they still want $100 every year. There is no way they'd part with that
You would think they'd be smart enough to offer an option for a 6 year license for $600 and save themselves the work.

The sentence above sets up the cognitive dissonance of considering state workers to be smart enough to do something vs. state workers missing a chance to avoid some work.

You would think they'd be smart enough to offer an option for a 6 year license for $600 and save themselves the work.

The sentence above sets up the cognitive dissonance of considering state workers to be smart enough to do something vs. state workers missing a chance to avoid some work.
The process is the punishment.

I have an appointment tomorrow at AAA to renew.
Fingers crossed…about 12 years or more ago, I went to renew by mail and could not. After a few phone calls, it turns out another guy with the same name and birthdate in New Jersey had outstanding warrants.
I had to prove I wasn’t him.
now I start calling New Jersey DMV to get it cleared. They wanted me to send via mail a copy of my birth certificate and SS card. Like hell I said. I hung up and tried again. Got a human…did I ever live in New Jersey? No. What was my SS#? Oh! you’re not him!

the interstate data base doesn’t include SS#’s. So I asked nicely for a letter declaring the miscreant wasn’t me. Now to the Mass RMV. I had to ask for a supervisor, explain the story and have her override the system to allow me to renew. I had to do this twice. Will I still need to do it? Who knows.

I question the practice of submitting your renewal really early as it will depend on the department. My LTC expired in 11/19. I submitted renewal sometime in early/mid September. When I got the paperwork from the town and spoke with FRB I discovered they did not submit the renewal data to FRB until 3 days prior to actual expiration. What good does it do to submit everything to local police, Bedford in this case, when they sit on it until the last minute. I ended up actually getting the new LTC in February of 20. They did the same to my wife when she renewed earlier in 19. Not saying all departments do it but Bedford definitely sat on my wife's and mine right up until actual expiration before submitting any paperwork.
You have no reason to question the practice because your experience does not cross the town line. Other towns invite you to submit early and will issue a license WEEKS before the old one expires.

My hometown Chief of Police busted me on a B&E, then signed off on my LTC maybe six years later. It varies.

There weren't any charges, just a "knock it off, idiot!"

My Gram would have pinned his ears back if he'd taken me in 😆

Small Town grandmothers give no effs.
The LT who fingerprinted me was 1 of 4 officers who removed me from my house when I was 17 for being an angsty teen.

I was told at that time a complete review of all files, micro film going as far back as possible was ordered by then Governor Patrick. I believe this look back was extensive and the intention was clearly to harass and revoke.
Quite possible. They all (govr's) suck to be honest though.

I am talking about in Massachusetts. I think you are in NH, right? Don't see it getting much more streamlined here.
Again, you said any way it could be, not would be. I'm pretty sure MA won't change, but it certainly COULD be done. And NH is an example, the background check for a permit is essentially the same and yet NH finds a way to get it done better. So MA COULD be better.

Why are you arguing this, why not just say you meant "would be" and you misspoke?

You have no reason to question the practice because your experience does not cross the town line. Other towns invite you to submit early and will issue a license WEEKS before the old one expires.

My town/state sent me a notice to renew about 5 months before it expired. I waited until the 4 month mark* to do it, got my license about 30 days later. Stayed in the envelope for 3 months until it was valid lol

* I went to the station and asked if it was cool to submit this early, they said cool.. This was mid 2022

It is all about punishing people with paperwork and BS, and keeping their friends employed. A more efficient system would mean less people.

Think about it like the RMV. There are like 50 different things they could improve on, collect more money and make it easy on themselves, but they don't.

Their purpose is to f*ck with you and employ the ones they couldn't get into other gov jobs.

It is all about punishing people with paperwork and BS, and keeping their friends employed. A more efficient system would mean less people.

Think about it like the RMV. There are like 50 different things they could improve on, collect more money and make it easy on themselves, but they don't.

Their purpose is to f*ck with you and employ the ones they couldn't get into other gov jobs.

Unlike the RMV I doubt its anything like that, EOPS only has a relative handful of people. Probably a minority of which have anything to do with gun stuff. I cant imagine the number of nonres 1 yrs is even that high to begin with. Remember, out of like 300-400K LTCs or whatever it is, most of those people don't even carry to begin with, and out of the % that leave MA, only a certain % even bother getting a nonres LTC. Out of like a half dozen or so people I know that moved out I think maybe a total of ONE of them bothered to get a nonres. [rofl] Ill have to go dig, but I wonder if Comm2A has the nonres number of LTCs, I doubt its really some astronomical number, I would be shocked if it even hit 5 digits, honestly. (bear in mind true dualies unless theyre idiots never get these licenses either, eg, some guy with a house on the cape that he uses in the summer when not in FL isnt getting a nonres, he's getting a resident license unless he's f***ing retarded. )

I dont think EOPS even /wants/ to do that shit. Which is why they forced the change so you only have to show up in person once every 5? years or so... I mean covid probably drove that too, but the idea of in person interviews every year eventually became apparent as to how facially retarded it was in terms of wasting staff time when they could just "press buttons serially" .

Nobody wants to be involved in this business. Sure the state might make money off it but I bet EOPS isnt keeping most of that $ in their budget, most of that shit probably goes back to the general fund or some other bullshit for commies to waste on round schools and shit like that. Fees in mass are not univerally retained by the "rendering" agencies.

Ill have to go dig, but I wonder if Comm2A has the nonres number of LTCs, I doubt its really some astronomical number, I would be shocked if it even hit 5 digits, honestly.
From the July '22 document

1679330744904.png
So, ~4K. I have no idea if last year saw an increase in applicants; I'd guess not by a significant fraction.

Bonus:
1679331251162.png

Last edited:
Firearms licensing process is pure BS. My RE license expired last month. I paid it at like 1155PM... 5 mins before expiration. Paid. Renewed. Good to go. Status updated on license check website the next day I think. And that's not even a right.
licensing is BS, they're handing third world shit bags drivers licenses and they're not even sure these idiots can drive. Gun licensing is about control nothing more. Criminals dont apply for licenses therefore they get a free pass.

licensing is BS, they're handing third world shit bags drivers licenses and they're not even sure these idiots can drive. Gun licensing is about control nothing more. Criminals dont apply for licenses therefore they get a free pass.
Isn't about them being able to drive, it's about them being able to vote, or even better... to have the state cast a vote on their behalf once they are on the rolls

Put in my license renewal months ago. It expires in August. Still nothing. Going to have to inquire about it soon. God I hate this state...

Are they sitting on it?

On my last renewal I submitted everything to the town approximately 8 weeks before expiration. I did not get a receipt from the town until 2 weeks before expiration. The town did not actually submit it to the state for renewal until approximately 7 days before expiration.

Due to the fact my LTC expires at the end of November and the holiday season etc. I did not actually receive my renewed LTC until February.

The $100/year is in MGL, not administratively fabricated.

The state calls it a "nonresident temporary license to carry firearms" . "Temporary" does not seem to fit the common use, but with that title it is easy to see why "temporary....only needs to be one year" seemed to make sense to the legislature. As to the $100 - non-residents don't vote, and this is not like a non-resident tax (hotel, rental car) in which the state gave a rodent's rectum about the price adversely affecting the demand curve.

Upon filing the paperwork and paying the renewal fee, they issue a letter that is valid as a LTC until the actual LTC arrives. They will contend that the letter complies with the 40 day requirement and a judge will side with them.

Just a reminder, or just checking, but I'm pretty sure that BY LAW, it is 40 days. You should remind them of that, since they like to follow the law, right?

Back
Top Bottom