Any license renewals since Maura's become Gov?

OP forgot to add:

"If you don't forward this to at least 10 people in the next 20 minutes, you will have 7 years of bad luck, you will get AIDS, your d*ck will rot and fall off and a brain eating amoeba will kill you"
And you will only be allowed to own and shoot a .40 from that point forward.....

"Sealed Record" = almost meaningless. Once paper exists on whatever the incident is that typically isn't erasable and it lives forever somewhere in the system. Someone will find it... don't believe anybody who says otherwise.
Back in the late 1950s-early 1960s, a neighbor/friend I used to play with was arrested for shoplifting in a local store. The judge/lawyer told him that since he was a juvenile, that his record would be sealed when he turned 21 and he would never have to admit that he was ever arrested. All records were on paper and paper indices even at the courthouses. The GCA in 1998 changed all that retroactively, plus continuing computerization (we had no computers until the 1990s) leads us to where we are today. Those sealed records are unsealed for purposes of gun licensing, so more people in MA can be denied.
A few questions:
  1. From what I understand, that's the online receipt generated when the PD actually puts your application through the system (in my town, that's a fair bit after you drop the application) as opposed to when you think you've applied by dropping the form and check at the PD. Is that correct?
  2. If #1 is correct, what's the effect on your renewal if the local PD slow walks the process (because "they're real busy") past the expiration date?
  3. How do you pronounce that if you want to give them a nudge to get the receipt? Is it "merks" or do you spell it out as "Em-Eye-Are-See-Ess"?
And I'll save someone the trouble:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uYJjDHeDU

#1 - correct
#2 - I verified this with the manager of FRB when someone told me that since the PD didn't input his data until after expiration, he lost that infinite grace period. This is true!

There is an exception to the ex-post-facto ban for gun laws.

When the Lautenberg amendment (misdemeanor domestic violence conviction => federal lifetime prohibited person), deprivation of 2A rights was not viewed as punishment, and applied retroactively. I know of no other case in which a legally enshrined right was removed because it was added to the penalty for an old conviction prior to the law change.

On the administrative side, MA applied an ex-post-facto standard to drivers license penalty points when they went from a 3 to 6 year lookback - and resurrected tickets people had seen "age off" their driving record.

There are currently three situations in which CWOF may be overtly used against an in-duh-vidual:
  • CWOF for OUI is counted as a predicate conviction
  • CWOF for driving crimes are considered convictions for commercial drivers license issues. The feds prohibit any alternative adjudication other than not guilty/dismisses charges that avoids the conviction of a sanction), and the MA SJC held this applies to CWOF
  • FIrearms licensing suitability
There is nothing to prevent MA from adding other ex-post-facto penalties for pre-existing CWOFs in the future.
What about Nolle Prosequi for an OUI? It's been almost 35 years but I've been wondering if we are headed for more "Re -Interpretation of the Law" from the new administration?

Ya cause most everywhere else treats first timers of an OUI as a simple slap and not a felony.
It was 50 years ago that send it was like a $25 fine for punching somebody in the face which was like 25 grand today… if you go 50 years that punches somebody the face that’s pretty admirable

It seems worse for out-of-staters. One person on our NH FB group teaches in MA. He submitted his non-res application in February. Expires in a few months, but his interview isn't until July. I submitted in February, also. Mine expires in July, and my interview isn't until October! In December of 2021 I submitted a renewal for a February 2022 expiration (it used to be January, but kept getting pushed forward). The "February" license didn't come until July of 2022, so that makes this one expire in July of this year. Since I won't be able to renew until October, that means next year's will be even later. Guess I'll have to start submitting my next yearly renewal as soon as I receive each the current year renewal. You guys are lucky with having one last 5 years - as long as you can get one to begin with.
I thought MA non res changed to 5 years.

Once the Leftists take over total control of America they will celebrate with a giant bonfire burning all the original copies of the Constitution. They ignore it now but they will officially render it null and void.

lol, we all had places that would sell to us no problems but it got to the point where I had to borrow friends cars to do a beer run because the cops would wait on my car and pull me over.
My neighbor had a full beard in HS back in the 70’s.
The old guys at the local packie never put his being seen on the bus and buying beer together. 😂

Back in the late 1950s-early 1960s, a neighbor/friend I used to play with was arrested for shoplifting in a local store. The judge/lawyer told him that since he was a juvenile, that his record would be sealed when he turned 21 and he would never have to admit that he was ever arrested. All records were on paper and paper indices even at the courthouses. The GCA in 1998 changed all that retroactively, plus continuing computerization (we had no computers until the 1990s) leads us to where we are today. Those sealed records are unsealed for purposes of gun licensing, so more people in MA can be denied.

#1 - correct
#2 - I verified this with the manager of FRB when someone told me that since the PD didn't input his data until after expiration, he lost that infinite grace period. This is true!
Blatantly unconstitutional but we already know the Leftist do not accept the constitution and never will.

Did you get a MIRCS receipt? That’s all that actually matters. they could take like three years but your license will be valid even in the window as long as you have that receipt and you renewed before the expiration date. you can even buy guns and do personal transfers, etc. while you’re on the indefinite grace period.
Yes I did, came with the letter from the PD.

I thought MA non res changed to 5 years.
No and they never will. It's a financial gravy train for the state.
Hell, late sixties/1970 half of us at the 3 Cs in Lowell were underage and nobody paid attention to it.
In college we used to party a friend's apartment on the Fenway. One time BPD came to the door due to a noise complaint, stereo was turned up and old folks in the building would call BPD. My girlfriend was closest to the door, so I asked her to answer the door. The officer merely asked us to turn the volume down and left. My gf chewed me out since she had a drink in her hand and she was underage. The cops didn't care unless you acted belligerently.

I question the practice of submitting your renewal really early as it will depend on the department. My LTC expired in 11/19. I submitted renewal sometime in early/mid September. When I got the paperwork from the town and spoke with FRB I discovered they did not submit the renewal data to FRB until 3 days prior to actual expiration. What good does it do to submit everything to local police, Bedford in this case, when they sit on it until the last minute. I ended up actually getting the new LTC in February of 20. They did the same to my wife when she renewed earlier in 19. Not saying all departments do it but Bedford definitely sat on my wife's and mine right up until actual expiration before submitting any paperwork.

I question the practice of submitting your renewal really early as it will depend on the department. My LTC expired in 11/19. I submitted renewal sometime in early/mid September. When I got the paperwork from the town and spoke with FRB I discovered they did not submit the renewal data to FRB until 3 days prior to actual expiration. What good does it do to submit everything to local police, Bedford in this case, when they sit on it until the last minute. I ended up actually getting the new LTC in February of 20. They did the same to my wife when she renewed earlier in 19. Not saying all departments do it but Bedford definitely sat on my wife's and mine right up until actual expiration before submitting any paperwork.
My renewal is during the summer.
I submitted everything online in January.

Boston renewal.

We will see what happens.

? I don't get it.

Did you miss where I said they could give you a temporary paper license on the spot?
Not at all. You said you didn't see a way for it to be more streamlined except maybe getting a temp licence. I pointed out that it could in fact be greatly improved, and is in actual use as such, even without a temp license.

Lynn???

Nobody wants to go to Lynn! [rofl]

No, FRB is in Chelsea, another less than desirable place to go. And it is only once every 6 years.
Lynn is worse than Chelsea? Yeah, I know...it's the City of Sin. When it was yearly, I'd drive down the highway, through Chelsea, do my appointment, and drive back out. Very carefully. (More worried about getting in an accident/getting a ticket than anything else). Of course, that was always daytime. We'll see what it's like this year when I go for the appointment.

My neighbor had a full beard in HS back in the 70’s.
The old guys at the local packie never put his being seen on the bus and buying beer together. 😂
Hell, late sixties/1970 half of us at the 3 Cs in Lowell were underage and nobody paid attention to it.
Let's not forget the drinking age was 18 then. Oh, and it was easier to doctor a driver's license than it is now.

As for the MIRCS receipt, and when they hand it to you, say "OK, I'll see you in 40 days to pick up my license.".

Not at all. You said you didn't see a way for it to be more streamlined except maybe getting a temp licence. I pointed out that it could in fact be greatly improved, and is in actual use as such, even without a temp license.
I am talking about in Massachusetts. I think you are in NH, right? Don't see it getting much more streamlined here.

I had a most pathetic fake ID in high school. The pizza place knew it was fake but figured my money was real.

I found this MDL once when I was 16. It kind of looked like me and the guy was 19 (drinking age was 18 back them). I remembered the name, DOB and even practiced the signature some. Never forgot the name, Joseph Quinn from Quincy. That was a good ID used a lot of times until I got pulled over for speeding and the cop noticed I had an extra license so he confiscated it.

My recollection in 1971 was that the Juvenile record would be sealed, I guess it wasn't. Over the years some have said I should request that it be scrubbed as it was a law that threw a wide net which is why it was changed. I never bothered.
I wonder if it had something to do when PD/Licensing Officer ran background checks. When you run a BOP check in Mass, some of the selections are "Employment" "Criminal" Firearms Licensing" etc. Sealed records won't come up under "Criminal", but they do come up under "Firearms Licensing" and if I remember correctly they will be mailed to PD. I wonder if they were running the inquiry wrong for a while (not agreeing with the Commonwealth sticking it to you, just noting how it could have been done). Not all cops are the best with computer systems.

I'm thinking there was more to the story and the applicant didn't disclose it on his application and they found it. Remember, the coverup is worse than the crime. Don't lie on the application!
There are situations in which one is legally permitted to lie about a previous expunged conviction and have it be considered legally truthful - the term is "legal fiction".

But, MA licensing officials are, intentionally or not, not really cognizant as to the nuances of this. It is generally strategically wiser to just admit to previous issues that fall into the "legal fiction" category than to hire an attorney to explain this to the licensing official and possibly have to appear before a district court judge who considers LTC appeals a waste of his/her time.

That was a good ID used a lot of times until I got pulled over for speeding and the cop noticed I had an extra license so he confiscated it.
It is amazing how many people store their LTC where they can see it every time they open their wallet, and I am aware of one case where a NY State trooper spotted a CT carry permit in a drivers wallet which caused an issue until a passenger in the card showed his police ID (the trooper was alert enough to spot the CT carry permit, but not up on NY penal code 265.20-13(b) that allows unlicensed handgun possession to attend a shooting competition.

Back
Top Bottom