Any license renewals since Maura's become Gov?

If it's not an outright fabrication by the Op's friend it's often basically the LTC applicant version of "I was cleaning my gun and it went off". Like nobody wants to talk about how they got caught with a unit of heroin or something in 1971 because it makes them look bad or whatever.... so they make up some fake thing to gloss over it without understanding that it makes their entire story bizarre. If people are going to lie they should probably curate their stories a little bit better....
My story is 1000% REAL.

I have no doubt in my mind that was was discussed between my Lawyer, myself, and the Judge in 1971 is not being followed these days.

Because of this I don't discount those that say they are being denied over old or old and stupid crap.
I don't discount the people have been abused by the system it happens all the time... what I do discount is people being honest about what they actually got rapped for. People will go to insane lengths to avoid embarrassment.

I don't discount the people have been abused by the system it happens all the time... what I do discount is people being honest about what they actually got rapped for. People will go to insane lengths to avoid embarrassment.
By using 1971 I thought you were saying my story was fake.

By using 1971 I thought you were saying my story was fake.
Maybe it was implanted in my brain to use as a number that I make up as an example but I was just trying to pick a number that was back far enough in time that nobody would really care... sorry for the insinuation.

Just a reminder, or just checking, but I'm pretty sure that BY LAW, it is 40 days. You should remind them of that, since they like to follow the law, right?
I'm not unhappy with the way our PD operates, not going to poke the bear. I put my renewal in 2 months early expecting some level of f***ery.

I'm not unhappy with the way our PD operates, not going to poke the bear. I put my renewal in 2 months early expecting some level of f***ery.
Did you get a MIRCS receipt? That’s all that actually matters. they could take like three years but your license will be valid even in the window as long as you have that receipt and you renewed before the expiration date. you can even buy guns and do personal transfers, etc. while you’re on the indefinite grace period.

My recollection in 1971 was that the Juvenile record would be sealed, I guess it wasn't. Over the years some have said I should request that it be scrubbed as it was a law that threw a wide net which is why it was changed. I never bothered.
But even “sealed records” are unsealed and considered during any LTC application process. This is a known issue.

My recollection in 1971 was that the Juvenile record would be sealed, I guess it wasn't. Over the years some have said I should request that it be scrubbed as it was a law that threw a wide net which is why it was changed. I never bothered.
"Sealed Record" = almost meaningless. Once paper exists on whatever the incident is that typically isn't erasable and it lives forever somewhere in the system. Someone will find it... don't believe anybody who says otherwise.

There is an exception to the ex-post-facto ban for gun laws.

When the Lautenberg amendment (misdemeanor domestic violence conviction => federal lifetime prohibited person), deprivation of 2A rights was not viewed as punishment, and applied retroactively. I know of no other case in which a legally enshrined right was removed because it was added to the penalty for an old conviction prior to the law change.

On the administrative side, MA applied an ex-post-facto standard to drivers license penalty points when they went from a 3 to 6 year lookback - and resurrected tickets people had seen "age off" their driving record.

There are currently three situations in which CWOF may be overtly used against an in-duh-vidual:
  • CWOF for OUI is counted as a predicate conviction
  • CWOF for driving crimes are considered convictions for commercial drivers license issues. The feds prohibit any alternative adjudication other than not guilty/dismisses charges that avoids the conviction of a sanction), and the MA SJC held this applies to CWOF
  • FIrearms licensing suitability
There is nothing to prevent MA from adding other ex-post-facto penalties for pre-existing CWOFs in the future.

They can stick their ex-post-facto where the sun don't shine...

The states, mostly with federal grant money, keep going back in time and adding records to the background check system triggering denials for long time LTC holders for things that happened in their childhood. I have a friend in his 80’s and one of his buddy’s he went to school with called him to come get all the guns, and ammo, out of his house as he suddenly became a PP for something in his younger days some 50 odd years ago.

I bought a rifle a few weeks back and for the first time ever I go a “researching” response on my background check. It took 35 minutes to get a proceed. I have LTC’s form three states and a C&R and they couldn’t figure it out. WTF. I have never had a background take anywhere near that long in 45 years. Must be a new feature of the enhanced background checks.

I truly feel sorry for the under 21 crowd as they now have a de facto 10 business day waiting period.

It is all just another way to limit gun ownership and prevent the younger generation from becoming gun enthusiasts.

If they want you, they're going to get you. they can take your driving license , your firearms license, your freedom and especially your money.The rich don't have to worry nor do the poor. But if you are a working stiff you have to worry because you keep feeding the courts money to keep the system going. and if a cop has it out for you ,Your f***ed

But even “sealed records” are unsealed and considered during any LTC application process. This is a known issue.

The word you are seeking is "expunged".

"What you tolerate, you validate. What you put up with, YOU DESERVE!"
~Scrivener~

Did you get a MIRCS receipt? That’s all that actually matters. they could take like three years but your license will be valid even in the window as long as you have that receipt and you renewed before the expiration date. you can even buy guns and do personal transfers, etc. while you’re on the indefinite grace period.
Great point.

I’m not even gonna read this, but even if it’s a DUI from 50 years ago it wouldn’t of mattered

A few questions:
  1. From what I understand, that's the online receipt generated when the PD actually puts your application through the system (in my town, that's a fair bit after you drop the application) as opposed to when you think you've applied by dropping the form and check at the PD. Is that correct?
  2. If #1 is correct, what's the effect on your renewal if the local PD slow walks the process (because "they're real busy") past the expiration date?
  3. How do you pronounce that if you want to give them a nudge to get the receipt? Is it "merks" or do you spell it out as "Em-Eye-Are-See-Ess"?
And I'll save someone the trouble:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uYJjDHeDU

A few questions:
  1. From what I understand, that's the online receipt generated when the PD actually puts your application through the system (in my town, that's a fair bit after you drop the application) as opposed to when you think you've applied by dropping the form and check at the PD. Is that correct?
  2. If #1 is correct, what's the effect on your renewal if the local PD slow walks the process (because "they're real busy") past the expiration date?
  3. How do you pronounce that if you want to give them a nudge to get the receipt? Is it "merks" or do you spell it out as "Em-Eye-Are-See-Ess"?
And I'll save someone the trouble:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uYJjDHeDU

I renewed last year.The Licensing officer keyed the application into the system directly and handed me a receipt.

The application process, at least in my town, was streamlined after Bruen. I never even left the lobby. I handed him my paperwork and he brought me back the receipt.

Bob

A few questions:
In my case, I was close to my expiration date so I received the the receipt for acceptance of renewal in the mail in a few days, you can alway check the status of your licence in the MA portal. I have had no issues buying guns or ammo, even at walmart with the expired licence and a validation generated from the portal

I renewed last year.The Licensing officer keyed the application into the system directly and handed me a receipt.

The application process, at least in my town, was streamlined after Bruen. I never even left the lobby. I handed him my paperwork and he brought me back the receipt.

Bob
Short of Constitutional Carry, I guess I'd say that is about as streamlined as it can get. The only thing better, would be if they do it like your driver's license, and you get a temporary paper one on the spot, which you just throw away when the real one comes in the mail.

Firearms licensing process is pure BS. My RE license expired last month. I paid it at like 1155PM... 5 mins before expiration. Paid. Renewed. Good to go. Status updated on license check website the next day I think. And that's not even a right.

"Sealed Record" = almost meaningless. Once paper exists on whatever the incident is that typically isn't erasable and it lives forever somewhere in the system. Someone will find it... don't believe anybody who says otherwise.
One of the issues is that record keeping, and searching, has gotten a lot better over the years with computerized records that are shared between departments and digitizing old records. In the past an arrest record would stay within a town and all you had to do to avoid it was let time pass and/or move to another town. But now the systems are digital and they've gone back and include all the old records. On top of that, cross agency databases allow an officer to search everywhere from his car. So even an expunged court record will still get a hit on the arrest records.

In places that don't have suitability this isn't a huge issue. But in MA an arrest where the charges were dropped before any court action, from decades in the past, wouldn't have a court record. But it would have an arrest record that can be used to justify a suitability denial.

Great we get feathers ruffled by some whack ass story that is THIRD HAND.

Everyone should be ashamed of themselves

Short of Constitutional Carry, I guess I'd say that is about as streamlined as it can get. The only thing better, would be if they do it like your driver's license, and you get a temporary paper one on the spot, which you just throw away when the real one comes in the mail.
You really think so?
In NH a P&R (the NH version of an LTC) takes less than 10 days by law, or the CoP is personaly liable. But in reality they take anywhere from a single day to a single week. I've never even heard of anyone taking 10 days.
So apparently it can be done more quickly.

Even my non-resident NH P&R took less than 10 days.

BTW this was the case before NH went con carry as well.

It seems worse for out-of-staters. One person on our NH FB group teaches in MA. He submitted his non-res application in February. Expires in a few months, but his interview isn't until July. I submitted in February, also. Mine expires in July, and my interview isn't until October! In December of 2021 I submitted a renewal for a February 2022 expiration (it used to be January, but kept getting pushed forward). The "February" license didn't come until July of 2022, so that makes this one expire in July of this year. Since I won't be able to renew until October, that means next year's will be even later. Guess I'll have to start submitting my next yearly renewal as soon as I receive each the current year renewal. You guys are lucky with having one last 5 years - as long as you can get one to begin with.

I mailed my Mass Resident renewal a week or so ago. Per my PD, don’t call, stop by, or anything else - just mail the completed form and $100 check. Expires in May

A friend emailed you? In 2023? You sure it wasnt a telegram via USPS on horseback?
? I don't get it.

You really think so?
In NH a P&R (the NH version of an LTC) takes less than 10 days by law, or the CoP is personaly liable. But in reality they take anywhere from a single day to a single week. I've never even heard of anyone taking 10 days.
So apparently it can be done more quickly.

Even my non-resident NH P&R took less than 10 days.

BTW this was the case before NH went con carry as well.
Did you miss where I said they could give you a temporary paper license on the spot?

My hometown Chief of Police busted me on a B&E, then signed off on my LTC maybe six years later. It varies.

There weren't any charges, just a "knock it off, idiot!"

My Gram would have pinned his ears back if he'd taken me in 😆

Small Town grandmothers give no effs.
I did some really stupid shit during the Blizzard of 78.
The very hard assed chief who wouldn’t even give LTC’s to other LEO’s signed mine.

Not an LTC but a notice to renew my BFS (instructor) from MA-SP. It asked for proof of current qualification, IOW my NRA certification being up to date. I always keep it valid so I had it but I don't ever remember being asked to provide that after the initial license. Either a new requirement or my memory is faulty.

I had to provide proof of NRA training certification when I got my state cert and when renewing. I’m going with, “memory is faulty”.

Back
Top Bottom