• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any legal cases around magblocks if they're epoxied?

I want to grab a Springfield armory Hellcat but they don't sell mags that are 10 rounds. I found some people using magblocks with other brands and I could go that route but I've been trying to play it really safe with the law and this seems like it falls into a gray area. Reading the law is sounds [to me] that if it was epoxied it would be fine because it's not easy to reverse/remove. I'm curious if there have been any cases around using something like this in MA to get around the magazine limit?

Unless you are a FFL bringing postban magazines into the state to try and assemble them with magblocks to reduce capacity is a felony to begin with.

Unless you are a FFL bringing postban magazines into the state to try and assemble them with magblocks to reduce capacity is a felony to begin with.

Putting aside the legality of epoxying in the first place and assuming it's legit, could you buy in NH and epoxy(or rivet) in NH, then bring into mass once cured?

Lol you're never going to find case law on this. Not now, not ever.

I want to grab a Springfield armory Hellcat but they don't sell mags that are 10 rounds. I found some people using magblocks with other brands and I could go that route but I've been trying to play it really safe with the law and this seems like it falls into a gray area. Reading the law is sounds [to me] that if it was epoxied it would be fine because it's not easy to reverse/remove. I'm curious if there have been any cases around using something like this in MA to get around the magazine limit?

Just get a P365, it's the same shit, probably better than the Springfield. Springfield Armory can go f*** themselves after that anti 2nd amendment shit they pulled.

my neighbor here in FL just bought a P365 after trying a Hellcat, he was unimpressed with the Springfield Armory gun.

The P365 by all accounts is a great gun available in MA

The p365 is on the waitlist, the hellcat is on sale so figured I would get one if I could solve the magazine problem.
I would buy the magazines in NH and do the work on them up there before returning to MA.

On a side note, I've had shit luck with 10rnd Glock magazines too, I might have to do this to my original magazines that came with the glock so I stop getting double feeds.

Putting aside the legality of epoxying in the first place and assuming it's legit, could you buy in NH and epoxy(or rivet) in NH, then bring into mass once cured?
Logic would say yes. A DA or judge's interpretation of what constitutes logic on the other hand is completely open ended.

The p365 is on the waitlist, the hellcat is on sale so figured I would get one if I could solve the magazine problem.
I would buy the magazines in NH and do the work on them up there before returning to MA.

On a side note, I've had shit luck with 10rnd Glock magazines too, I might have to do this to my original magazines that came with the glock so I stop getting double feeds.
Which glock? I don't use many 10s but i have never had problems with current mags.

Just pin and epoxy them and claim you bought them that way.
Right, because MGL 140 131M says purchased and not possessed [rofl]

But I agree with you on sentiment. Just block them and move on. I 3d print blocks that replace the interior base plate to convert normal capacity to neuter mags. You can't get more than 10 in unless you buy new parts or use tools (melt, cut, etc).

No case law. If this is too risky, you probably should not own guns in MA.

Lol you're never going to find case law on this. Not now, not ever.
Never say never:
How many times have we seen dumbasses
Kill The Job by using a lame defense
and setting a bad precedent?

Some NESer might get on the radar,
hire a clueless attorney,
get body slammed at trial,
then appeal it up to a level where
binding precedents are established.

Never say never.

Never say never:
How many times have we seen dumbasses
Kill The Job by using a lame defense
and setting a bad precedent?

Some NESer might get on the radar,
hire a clueless attorney,
get body slammed at trial,
then appeal it up to a level where
binding precedents are established.

Never say never.
This is mass and a bunch of things are generally true:

Gun owners are mindlessly obesiant (some more than others) which has the tendency of keeping them out of trouble- this reduces all opportunities fundamentally, to a small non zero % of all LE "gun pings" in mass.

Kopsch and DAs are generally lazy, they'll come up with easier shit to prosecute someone with.

DAs cut deals for people to suck for a plea for this or that. (No trial) Most people just want to be done with drama and suck for the deal offered, due to costs, or a CWOF offer on the table. Even the worst attorney is going to tell his client to take the deal and a guaranteed outcome that lands the plane.

Weird technical edge cases are rarely, If ever, a primary source for paper gun crime prosecutions in mass.

All of these things result in most of the esoteric crap we argue about here never truly -being tested-* in an MA court. You're better off buying powerball tickets.

* being tested does not necessarily = or correlate with being punished for it by proxy.

This is mass and a bunch of things are generally true:
And to draw out what you said,
many minor offenses are historically only ever used to make the pile of charges bigger;
the minor offenses get traded away in a plea deal,
while still imposing consequences for the serious offenses
that form the core of prosecution.

It's all in what you wrote,
it's just a very specific prosecution strategy,
in which the random crap plays a very specific role.

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder what type of appetite a DA would have on a magazine capacity challenge if that's all they had (ie. no other offences). Reason being, their definition of "high capacity" is rather arbitrary in MGL itself, which goes on to point at the 1994 Federal Ban for nomenclature back up. What is left is a arbitrary state level call based off of nothing but the ghost of a federal ban that has long since expired. Would be fantastic if someone could argue that there's no such thing as "high capacity", only standard.

Back
Top Bottom