• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any lefty pistol recommendations?

Got a friend in MA who just got his LTC. He is a lefty though. Never thought about slide and mag release for a lefty before.

Any recommendations? I found an H&K VP9 on the approved roster, but curious on other options.

Your name is lefty - you must know your stuff!

Range for sure, but he will want to carry something as well. So I guess options for each.

I’m a lefty. There’s no real diff besides having to use your index/trigger finger as your mag drop, I’ve actually found it works better for me than when I shoot righty and use the thumb. Longer finger = more positive detent, at least for lefties.

If he desires or ever buys anything with an external safety (MA 365/1911/HK) just remind him that he should find one or be ready to install, an Ambi safety lever.

That’s it. Don’t make it complicated, just make sure he trains a bit with you and watch his finger/mag drop to make any corrections until he’s kind of fluid and understands wth he’s doing. You can conduct this unloaded in your kitchen or whatever. It’s just finger to button reps and swapping mags.

I'm pretty sure most modern iterations of top pistols are ambi slide stop/release and mag release can be flipped to other side if required. Glock Gen5's and Sig P320's, for example. Long gone are the days lefty's were relegated to second class citizens with the green scissors.

lefty-scissors.jpg

Got a friend in MA who just got his LTC. He is a lefty though. Never thought about slide and mag release for a lefty before.

Any recommendations? I found an H&K VP9 on the approved roster, but curious on other options.

I like my ambi safties.
I was able to switch the mag release on my cz (shadow would, 97 won't). I'm sure theres plenty other models out there that will do it. M&P I think is another.
Slide release- my left index finger is ripped so its a non-issue.
Any revolver

As a lefty, tell him to not worry about ambi anything and learn the manual of arms on pistols as is. This way, if he’s trying a new gun, or someone lets him try something at the range that isn’t ambi, he’ll have a better time. It’s a right handed world, there’s no getting around it.
I went VP9 first but just learned to figure it out and sold it. The only real issue is safetys like 1911’s can be cumbersome if not ambi. Mag release is index or middle finger, slide stop is right middle finger over the top.

Revolvers are actually less lefty friendly than some might think. The way I was shown to handle revolver reloads involves two right hand fingers through the open frame to reload with the left hand and then transfer back. Only platform I actually have to switch hands with.

I'm pretty sure most modern iterations of top pistols are ambi slide stop/release and mag release can be flipped to other side if required. Glock Gen5's and Sig P320's, for example. Long gone are the days lefty's were relegated to second class citizens with the green scissors.

I’ve purposely resisted swapping my mag release to the right side. Index finger works better for me where it is.

I also have an old Sig 516 with ambi controls for mag release and I don’t like it on the left side at all. Interferes with the bolt catch for me (as in if I’m not looking right at it I don’t know what button my finger is pressing) and I should be able to use those controls without looking at them but they’re too close together.

Revolvers are actually less lefty friendly than some might think. The way I was shown to handle revolver reloads involves two right hand fingers through the open frame to reload with the left hand and then transfer back. Only platform I actually have to switch hands with.
Righties do exactly the opposite: left middle and ring through the frame, right hand depresses the ejection rod then loads the cylinder.

Righties do exactly the opposite: left middle and ring through the frame, right hand depresses the ejection rod then loads the cylinder.

So there’s a hand swap regardless?! Well, I feel a little better. Never noticed.
I’m new to wheel guns, so it’s all foreign to me.

Sig 320/m17 or 18 are fully ambidextrous. Also Sigs DA/SA controls aren’t much of an issue at all to manipulate as a lefty either.

I try to practice so both hands are equally comfortable as shooting hand. HK and FNH are lefty friendly. In nine mil, go P30 or FNX-9 if he wants controls on both sides - safety decocker and slide stop. The USPs come with just one side safety but it's a pretty easy install with the correct ambi part.

I'm sinister and have no trouble running my Glocks.

(I throw frisbees, use chainsaws and computer mouses right handed.)

Last edited:
I’m a lefty but shoot handgun righty and rifles lefty. So it’s not impossible to do both. I do t practice left hand shooting much. I got comfortable righty.

I’ve purposely resisted swapping my mag release to the right side. Index finger works better for me where it is.

I also have an old Sig 516 with ambi controls for mag release and I don’t like it on the left side at all. Interferes with the bolt catch for me (as in if I’m not looking right at it I don’t know what button my finger is pressing) and I should be able to use those controls without looking at them but they’re too close together.
Why didn't the nuns beat your evil ass with a ruler until you became a righty?
And if that old Sig really bothers you, I will help you out and buy it from you for 10% more than you paid for it.

Is he a true lefty, ?

Left eye dominant ?

Im a lefty , naturally pick up and use everything with my Left hand.
My elders of past constantly tried to correct my left hand ways.
Only thing I dont do left handed is Hockey stick but it can be argued that righty is actaully Lefty with a hockey stick

Anyway my most comfortable handgun to shoot LH is 1911, 4013 tsw , revolvers
My ruger MKIII is fine left handed

Best thing to do is have him try as many guns as possible a true lefty will make short order of what works and what does not

I'm sinister and have no trouble running my Glocks.

(I throw frisbees, use chainsaws and computer mouses right handed.)

We lefties are weird. I bat, golf, play hockey, and lacrosse all right handed. Left eye dominant and write lefty. I’ll go back to the boiler room with Freddy now..

We lefties are weird. I bat, golf, play hockey, and lacrosse all right handed. Left eye dominant and write lefty. I’ll go back to the boiler room with Freddy now..
You are weird bit you are NOT a lefty
Now if you said you golf lefty but use a right handed putter you might be a lefty.
True Lefties IMHO can bat LH or RH but often do both …..not so good

You are weird bit you are NOT a lefty

Lol, what?

A predominance to use my left hand for everyday tasks such as writing, eating, gripping, cutting, and manipulating hand tools and I’m NOT a lefty?!? All this time I didn’t have to write over bindings and suffer the silver surfer curse and I had no idea!!?!
Well, shit!

Back
Top Bottom