• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any laws concerning back yard archery range?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
My new house comes with a little over 2 acres of land and the back yard abuts conservation/wet lands. The more I look at the back yard the more I'm thinking of putting up small wood barricade with a hanging archery target in front of it by my back property line, which is wooded. That should give me up to 30 yards for an archery range. If I'm facing the back woods with my house behind me the closes neighbor is roughly 50-60 yards to my right.

Just wondering with the above if there are any Mass laws concerning archery/crossbows that I should be aware of before I set this up?

Thanks

Last edited:
I vaguely remember reading something about a guy getting screwed for "discharging" an arrow across a street I believe it was. But considering we are talking about non regulated items that can be bought by anyone, I think you'll be fine. What town? Personally, if your that worried about it, I would just call the PD and ask. It's just a bow after all. It isn't like your calling to ask if it is ok to shoot an RPG in your yard.

It is just ****ing absurd that anyone anywhere would ever have a legitimate reason to ask that question. I feel for you guys.

Check the town's by-laws also. That's the real killer. Sudbury has a by-law against firing of anything that uses "compressed air as a mechanism for launching a projectile." DPW got it added a couple of years back to reduce the damage to street signs and public property from bb/pellet/paintball guns. I talked to the CoP and there's no restriction on archery. Someone tried a couple of years ago and when the PD couldn't provide examples to the BoS they voted it down. Amazing how that works sometimes.

My kids love practicing in the backyard.

Aloha

<shrug>

I leave the target outside all the time, no one ever says nuthin. Quite a few houses around town I drive by have some real shot up styrofoam deer in their yards. Maybe its only legal out here in the sticks?

I want one of these for the backyard.

4 and a half feet tall, 8 and a half feet long....wonder how long till the neighbors call the cops freaking out!

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section58

Section 58. A person shall not discharge any firearm or release any arrow upon or across any state or hard surfaced highway, or within one hundred and fifty feet, of any such highway, or possess a loaded firearm or hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.

I would do it for sure. But I would get some hay bales or Styrofoam pads to stop the arrows. They are REALLY HARD to find in the woods if you miss (trust me on this) and can go a long ways, so if a neighbor kid is back there you could have a real problem.

Since there is no gunshot, no police will be showing up to investigate. Do realize that many towns will not allow you to hunt in town (like if a deer walked by, you flanging an arrow at it). Also, the setback for hunting from an occupied house applies even to hunting with arrows.

Section 58. A person shall not discharge any firearm or release any arrow upon or across any state or hard surfaced highway, or within one hundred and fifty feet, of any such highway, or possess a loaded firearm or hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.

If I read that correctly, if my firing line is 150+ feet from all roads I can fire in the direction of the street as long as the shot doesn't reach the street (and the right of way, I presume).

Interestingly this would put my permissable spot for a firing line on my property, somewhat near the corner where my two neighbor's plots abut mine, shooting back towards my house or parallel to one neighbor's house towards another street.

(A development was put in behind me along with a road alongside me well after I purchased this house, turning my lot into a corner lot. [rolleyes])

Stay on your property be further than 150 ft from road and get permission from neighbors and you can do whatever you want within the 500 ft rule you can Evan hunt and shoot deer if you choose land owner permission in writing is the key ...

If I read that correctly, if my firing line is 150+ feet from all roads I can fire in the direction of the street as long as the shot doesn't reach the street (and the right of way, I presume).

Interestingly this would put my permissable spot for a firing line on my property, somewhat near the corner where my two neighbor's plots abut mine, shooting back towards my house or parallel to one neighbor's house towards another street.

(A development was put in behind me along with a road alongside me well after I purchased this house, turning my lot into a corner lot. [rolleyes])

I think we need the definition of a "highway" it doesn't say street or road it says state highway or hardpacked high way.

DO NOT CALL THE POLICE THEY ARE USELESS IN THIS MATTER. GO TO TOWN HALL AND SEARCH FOR BY LAWS. my town currently does not have any bylaws pertaining to bows or pelletguns. other than the a few open space areas like the sports center and town park. the rest is open land. there has been several towns in my local that have bylaws eliminating discharge of compressed air discharge and bows......
build a proper back stop and if you can have the shooting position elevated. its amazing how far arrows can go when they bounce.
don't involve the police.....sure enough to shut you down.

The cited statute is a PITA, as it makes the use of a bow and arrow more restrictive than a gun

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12E

Note the language that exempts "ranges" from setback requirements.

Since I'm the owner of my own property (unless I'm just the occupant and the bank is the owner), I don't have to worry about any setbacks if I'm on a target range? How is range defined or regulated (if anywhere)?

I wouldn't mind using my garage as a range for 22 or even .380. I can put up some steel for a trap and an exhaust fan.

AFAIK, there is no "definition" of a range. A few bottles on the fencebtween you and the playground next door would likely not be acceptable. [laugh]

The guy in Manchester-By-The-Sea had a range in his attic; the charge of discharge too close was dropped (along with most of the others IIRC)

The guy in Northborough has "real" range - and his rights were affirmed in land court.

My guess is that if you're on a "range" you are not hunting.

The 500' / 150' setbacks for hunting are to keep holes from appearing in houses.

Dammit! I didn't go back far enough back. Even though this is Mass and a lot may have changed from 2010. I guess I'll wait until we move in and then call the police station.

Wrench75, this is just the tip of the iceberg up here..... Sad, isn't it.

You are kidding right?

The police don't know the law. If you find out its legal and proceed. I'd suggest you print out the MGL in case the police do show up.

Don

Since I'm the owner of my own property (unless I'm just the occupant and the bank is the owner), I don't have to worry about any setbacks if I'm on a target range? How is range defined or regulated (if anywhere)?

I wouldn't mind using my garage as a range for 22 or even .380. I can put up some steel for a trap and an exhaust fan.

I shoot inside my barn in CT. I don't do it much, because I don't want the lead contamination. But if I need to test something, it goes straight down into a barrel filled with sand sitting on the concrete floor.

The funny thing is that I mentioned this in my zoning permit application when I got my home based FFL. The application, along with the ZEO's signature is always at hand when I test.

I live in Northborough and shoot on a small outside range that parallels my local street. It's probably about 60' off the pavement. The "range" is 10/20 & 25 yards and I shoot into a conventional sq box target that's about 20" square. I've used this setup for a couple years. No complaints, no police, no crazy random arrow shots. I tend to group in about 8" diameter shots, so I am never a danger. And I haven't conferred w/ the police. To my knowledge no one has complained. I have spoken to my immediate neighbors to 'reassure' them.

The cited statute is a PITA, as it makes the use of a bow and arrow more restrictive than a gun

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12E

Note the language that exempts "ranges" from setback requirements.

How does it make archery more restrictive?
Unless there is something else besides the following then the only limitation is 150' from the road if you're not hunting.

Get a bag of rags. Put that bag in a box. Put target on box. Shoot arrows.

Just learning I would set up in the basement to work on form.

Hay bales turn into bees nests when not in use and they tend to dislike arrows interfering with their stuff. Pulling arrows will aggravate them. Get stung.

The first question is what is the legal definition of highway. Is it any paved road, or only a numbered state or interstate highway? If it's the latter, as long as your land is more than 150 feet from the highway, you're not running afoul of the first part of the law. Technically, as it's written, the part about hunting within 500 feet of any dwelling would only matter if you were hunting on someone else's land. I highly doubt that's now it's enforced though.

The first question is what is the legal definition of highway. Is it any paved road, or only a numbered state or interstate highway? If it's the latter, as long as your land is more than 150 feet from the highway, you're not running afoul of the first part of the law. Technically, as it's written, the part about hunting within 500 feet of any dwelling would only matter if you were hunting on someone else's land. I highly doubt that's now it's enforced though.

http://thelawdictionary.org/highway/

Once you move in, I'll bring over the Thundermug and we can test to see how excitable the new neighbors are. [devil2]

They won't bat an eye at a few arrows after that.................................... [wink]

Back
Top Bottom