• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

any kayak fisherman on here

These are the lights. They are the NOCQUA spectrum series. They have multiple colors as well as flashing alternating color and SOS signal.
0302e9e0fd5576e373e820982afeb3e6.jpg

http://nocqua.com/portfolio/nocqua-spectrum/#prettyPhoto

Awesome! Those will keep the bait fish or squid right up to the boat,and fish right in the shadow lines.

Hey if it works it works. You can spend thousands on a sweet setup or you can drill holes and mount stuff on a $300 kayak and call it a day! [wink]

Pretty much exactly what I did haha. The pictures really don't do it justice, but I have everything attached to stainless steel snap hooks so everything is connected to the boat. I have a main line with a volleyball mesh bag with all my gear in the back and a full array of lighting for night fishing. Green/Red on Bow, a very bright white light on the stern (tightens onto an eye hook on the rear), along with lights connected directly to my pfd in case I end up in the drink [laugh2]

More than anything, it's a good way to relax at the end of a long day [smile]

IMG_20140829_154616561.jpg
IMG_20140915_182520730_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140915_183440446.jpg
IMG_20140916_185348526.jpg
IMG_20140916_200326969.jpg
IMG_20140916_201150065.jpg

You guys have some really impressive rigs.

After I get some more experience on mine, hoping I can meet up with some of you to do some fishing.

Ready to go. This is my Jackson Big Tuna.
de0ab74a884988b2ba04f49589fb6f6b.jpg

How is the Big Tuna solo? Have you paddled it much with a single seat in a solo position?

After a few hours in my Wilderness Tarpon on the lake today, I'm jealous of the seating positions on your Big Tuna and BoxerJake's Big Rig.

My wife went kayaking with me today (rented her a brand new Ocean Kayak Frenzy SOT, it was her first time). She did very well and her only issue was the uncomfortable seat. The Big Tuna's seating options may be good for us so she can just play her iPad games when she gets bored or tired of paddling. My concern would be how it does solo if I end up going alone more often.

How is the Big Tuna solo? Have you paddled it much with a single seat in a solo position?

After a few hours in my Wilderness Tarpon on the lake today, I'm jealous of the seating positions on your Big Tuna and BoxerJake's Big Rig.

My wife went kayaking with me today (rented her a brand new Ocean Kayak Frenzy SOT, it was her first time). She did very well and her only issue was the uncomfortable seat. The Big Tuna's seating options may be good for us so she can just play her iPad games when she gets bored or tired of paddling. My concern would be how it does solo if I end up going alone more often.
I use it mainly for fishing and not recreationally paddling it. It's 14', so it's not small and fast. That's what I have a trolling motor for. Lol. When I do go solo, it's very stable on ponds and lakes. On the ocean, I always put the pontoons on for added stability and safety, wether I'm solo or not. That's just me. Having an extra person always creates added weight and instability. You have to anticipate what your passenger is going to do. You don't want to be leaning the same way or else you'll be buying a new iPad. Lol. I like the "sit on top" kayaks. On the Big Tuna, you and your passenger can sit in the high or low position. You can also have the wife facing you, if she prefers.
All in all, I'm really pleased with it. Just beware, it is big and heavy. The more crap you put on it, the heavier it gets.
My wife has asked me more than once, " why didn't you just buy a motorboat? " I tell her " it's not the same, you wouldn't understand " And she wouldn't. Haha

Thanks for the info. Looks like one of the better options for us. I'm not really into recreational paddling either, I just want to fish from it. She basically floated around while I fished from mine, so I showed her yours and she likes the seats and that she can just hang out in the same yak.

Heading out in them again today in a couple of hours.

Thanks for the info. Looks like one of the better options for us. I'm not really into recreational paddling either, I just want to fish from it. She basically floated around while I fished from mine, so I showed her yours and she likes the seats and that she can just hang out in the same yak.

Heading out in them again today in a couple of hours.
I got mine from http://www.zoaroutdoor.com .It's an awesome place for all your kayaking needs. They run clinics, kayak tours, training zip lining etc. etc. They have a great Outfitter Shop with everything needed for kayakers, and are one of the biggest Jackson dealers around.
They're in Charlmont. It's a 2 1/2 hour hike for me but I think it's closer to you.

Spent some time on Paradise Pond in Princeton today. My wife was bored after 20 minutes, but taking photos of me kept her occupied while I fished. Just little pickerel and bass were biting.

paradisepond_zpsql2inuvv.jpg
pickerel_zpscfbcvjfk.jpg

I've had a Hobie 14' kayak w Mirage pedal drive (ST Turbo Fins) for over 12 years. I now fish off Sachuest Point in Middletown RI. It handles any surf and/or wave conditions, and covers many miles with ease. Beach wheels are a must. I use a Wheel-A-Weigh for either the kayak or Wind Surfer. The big wheels don't sink into soft sand like the standard ones do.

http://www.anchorexpress.com/Davis-...t-Dolly-1465?gclid=CNXU0YbfxMUCFciRHwodw3sAxw

http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/miragedrive/

If you fish in the surf, you can put the drive in backwards so you can hold your position off-shore with your hands free to cast.

Last edited:
I've had a Hobie 14' kayak w Mirage pedal drive (ST Turbo Fins) for over 12 years. I now fish off Sachuest Point in Middletown RI. It handles any surf and/or wave conditions, and covers many miles with ease. Beach wheels are a must. I use a Wheel-A-Weigh for either the kayak or Wind Surfer.

http://www.anchorexpress.com/Davis-...t-Dolly-1465?gclid=CNXU0YbfxMUCFciRHwodw3sAxw

http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/miragedrive/

If you fish in the surf, you can put the drive in backwards so you can hold your position off-shore with your hands free to cast.

I really like the pedal drive idea, but the Hobie's are just more than I'm willing to spend right now.

I really like the pedal drive idea, but the Hobie's are just more than I'm willing to spend right now.

It was a lot more than any other kayak at time, but I never regretted it, especially when I blow by people with paddles [rofl]

It was a lot more than any other kayak at time, but I never regretted it, especially when I blow by people with paddles [rofl]

I watched a guy run circles around me on his Hobie the other day, so I just ordered a 2015 Hobie Mirage Outback. Should deliver to my door by the end of the week.

Time to put my Tarpon up for sale.

Last edited:
73BLow

Check the hull very carefully for thin spots or holes. Mine had a 1/4" hole in it due to a bad roto mold. The dealer came to my house to pick it up and drop off the replacement which he had to pay $200 in shipping. He missed it when I picked it up. He just a a couple of kids load it rather quickly.

That's a very nice model you selected. Another plus is the hole for the pedal drive is great for taking a leak [laugh2]

It's like having a built in bathroom [rofl]

Last edited:
73BLow

Check the hull very carefully for thin spots or holes. Mine had a 1/4" hole in it due to a bad roto mold. The dealer came to my house to pick it up and drop off the replacement which he had to pay $200 in shipping. He missed it when I picked it up. He just a a couple of kids load it rather quickly.

That's a very nice model you selected.

Thanks guys.

I ordered it from http://www.delawarepaddlesports.com/2015-hobie-mirage-outback/

Awesome customer service. They have been answering lots of questions over the past few days while I went back and forth between the Jackson Coosa HD and the Hobie.

Shipping via Old Dominion tomorrow and already have a tracking number.

Took it out for the first time this morning. I love the Mirage drive system and the rudder system. Pushing the pedals is effortless. It was pretty windy, so would have spent the whole time paddling. The new seat is really comfortable. I just kept it in the high position. I am going to order the turbo fins and larger rudder and some other fishing accessories. Off to go get a new fish finder now.

HobieOutback_zps3stkyeuq.jpg

Took it out for the first time this morning. I love the Mirage drive system and the rudder system. Pushing the pedals is effortless. It was pretty windy, so would have spent the whole time paddling. The new seat is really comfortable. I just kept it in the high position. I am going to order the turbo fins and larger rudder and some other fishing accessories. Off to go get a new fish finder now.

HobieOutback_zps3stkyeuq.jpg

Great boat.

Sell me on kayak fishing, guys. What are the advantages over a canoe?

I'm just getting back into open water fishing after going years without wetting a line. I have two canoes that I use (one with a keel and one without for moving water) and they seem to get the job done pretty well and I can load either one on top of my tiny city cars. Although kayaks tend to be slightly smaller, it doesn't seem like there is much difference and I like the fact that i can load my canoes with two people and a weekend worth of gear.

But, I'm easily convinced that there is new equipment I need to buy :) Explain the advantages of the kayaks so I can justify buying one for myself.

I've posted pics of my little motor boat here before. I bought it a few seasons ago to use for duck hunting. I have a marsh-patterned camo cover with swing-open doors for it, but it also works nicely as a fishing boat. It draws about as much water as my 10 foot kayak so it gets into very shallow areas easily. This pic was taken last Sunday in the Bass Hole river. It was nice and calm on the way in. I caught one little schoolie, and left around noonish. On the way back the wind had picked up big time and I was getting f*cking battered on the way back to the launch. The waves were slamming me head on and filling the boat. A few times, the wind almost flipped the hull over. When I got back to shore, it was almost half-full of water. And of course me being a dumbass I had left my PFD in my truck because it was so clear and calm on my way out. Never again. ALWAYS bring the PDF along. [hmmm]

Other than thinking I was going to have to abandon ship, and the fact that everything was completely soaked, it was a fun time! I may go back there as long as there's zero wind in the forecast. It definitely isn't a sea-worthy boat.

beavertail.jpg

Never mind... I guess the eels work. Caught this 23in last night
View attachment 139211

From a kayak, eels at night & eels during the day! Tube and worm work excellent too, sometimes the bigger the worm the better. I dont kayak but I have friends that have Hobie Pro Anglers with more gear than most recreational boater have and they do very well.

Back
Top Bottom