• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Junior USPSA or IDPA clubs in Metrowest?

There has been a lot of good work on the trap fields in this area for the kids. But not so much for other disciplines. This has me thinking about starting a jr program for USPSA/IDPA.

I see that IDPA has a 12-21 age for "offical" jr membership where USPSA has no age requirements.

How well do you think the local competition organizers accept a jr division? This will determine how the program is structured. As in keep it a local event for the kids only compared to travel team.

So.......
1. Has anyone already started something in Millis area?
2. Any fellow metrowest families interested in this if I start it?
3. Would you and your club be interested in hosting?

Anyone seriously interested in putting this together please PM me for contact info.

-Flyer

Are you envisioning bringing more juniors out to regular matches or holding separate matches for the juniors? Putting on separate matches is more work for IDPA/USPSA than for trap. Stages have to be designed and set up, props designed, build and maintained, etc.

I'm an occasional volunteer at Worcester IDPA and pretty involved with MWT/Harvard. Safe juniors will be welcomed with open arms at either club. If you want to put on a special 'intro to IDPA' class for juniors, find some interested juniors and I'll be happy to help organize and teach it.

New Bedford is starting to host Steel Challenge. SC is very junior friendly as there are rimfire divisions and it doesn't require movement (for the most part)and reloads on the clock.

Do you currently shoot IDPA/USPSA regularly? I'm not connecting your screen name with someone I know, but that could just be an oversight on my part.

Are you envisioning bringing more juniors out to regular matches or holding separate matches for the juniors?
Yes....for the difficulty of running separate matches.

I'm an occasional volunteer at Worcester IDPA and pretty involved with MWT/Harvard. Safe juniors will be welcomed with open arms at either club. If you want to put on a special 'intro to IDPA' class for juniors, find some interested juniors and I'll be happy to help organize and teach it.
Thanks for offer and the comments that you feel properly trained jr's would be welcomed.

New Bedford is starting to host Steel Challenge. SC is very junior friendly as there are rimfire divisions and it doesn't require movement (for the most part)and reloads on the clock.

Do you currently shoot IDPA/USPSA regularly? I'm not connecting your screen name with someone I know, but that could just be an oversight on my part.

I know that one father is introducing his 10 yr old this weekend to the SC. I agree that this is a great style event to bring on the young ones.

I used to shoot a lot way back when. Then kids came and I had no time to practice. This past year I was hoping to compete but spent most of my time traveling for biz. I have been able to practice once a week live fire of 200rds a session and been dry firing like mad. Also have been doing a monthly pin shoot. So now I am looking to get more involved over the winter. I figure that by involving my daughter and son (hopefully wife) we can all enjoy some shoots next year.

I have managed and coached various other youth programs and enjoy the mentoring of that participation. I also figure if I get daughter to 1/2 the level of a Tori Nonaka with a few youtube videos....I won't have to worry as much about her dating.. [wink]

Thanks for offer and the comments that you feel properly trained jr's would be welcomed.
One of the MWT leader's son has shot with us every once in a while. I think he was 12 or 13 when he started. I'm not sure if we have an age policy, I'll bring it up at the annual planning meeting coming up. Absent a more restrictive club policy or something I'm missing, my thoughts are: Anyone under 18 needs a parent/guardian to sign the waiver, anyone under 21 needs someone with them who takes responsibility for them and their guns/gear. I don't see a need for a minimum age, but obviously safety is a big concern. There are some kids that can be safe at 10, and some adults who scare me. I think 12-14 is a good ballpark for typical kids.

Juniors are the future of the sport and keeping families involved is great for everyone. Let me know any way I can help.

Flyer- like some have mentioned- it would be great to have more younger people involved in a action shooting. I've shot with a few teenagers that had great gun handling skills and were very safe... one is a Master is USPSA which a hell of an accomplishment. I'd encourage you to get in touch with some of the local IDPA/USPSA leaders at some clubs and start up a conversation face to face. I'd also recommend taking an SO/RO class.

Back
Top Bottom