Any idea what this might be worth?

Probably not much.

If you’re expecting a massive premium because of the CIA seal, you’d need provenance and more of a story than you’ve given us here. Other than that, it looks like a very typical Victorinox Classic or Ambassador. Millions of those out there.

If your dad was given this after Desert One by General Vaught, well... sure. There’d be a premium.

My dad said an agent gave it to him. He was in law enforcement for 26 years. My dad knew judges chiefs of police etc. just wondered if the knife would have any value.

don't know the value but victorinox put out the classic at one time with circular medallions representing the department of the navy, department of the army, cia, treasury department...just about one for all gov. departments. i've seen 2 styles, one has the logo printed onto the scale and the other version has the medallion like the one you're showing. you can find them on ebay sometimes for around 20 bucks, usually without the box and beat to shit and tired looking. i've never seen the cia one on ebay but i've seen a few in collections and never in decent shape. seems most who bought them hung them on a key chain. it's very possible it came from an agent who got it as a memento of service. my opinion is it wasn't given to the agent by the agency for security reasons. since a lot of agents work in clandestine operations the agency would never hand out trinkets like this that could id an operative as cia. i actually did read that somewhere, but take it with a grain of salt.

Maybe that CIA medallion is Gold and was intended to buy safe-passage out of Zanzibar...

iu

Why wouldn't you want to keep it as a gift from your Dad? That is where its value lies...

it's very possible it came from an agent who got it as a memento of service. my opinion is it wasn't given to the agent by the agency for security reasons. since a lot of agents work in clandestine operations the agency would never hand out trinkets like this that could id an operative as cia. i actually did read that somewhere, but take it with a grain of salt.
Very true. I have a college friend who worked as a "spook" his entire career and even now that he is retired he'll only admit that he worked for the gov't, with no admission of what agency he worked for.

If it was a gift from your dad, it should be worth more to you just in sentimental value than any monetary offer.

If I had a gift like that, I wouldn't even inquire about its monetary worth.

Maybe that CIA medallion is Gold and was intended to buy safe-passage out of Zanzibar...
some sexy hands ya got there, bro...who does your nails? [wink]
Very true. I have a college friend who worked as a "spook" his entire career and even now that he is retired he'll only admit that he worked for the gov't, with no admission of what agency he worked for.
they won't put names up on their wall of honor for agents who died in the line of duty, they just place a star to represent each one. classified even at the end.

I’m not looking to sell it. I was just wondering if it had any value besides sentimental value. I’ve never ever taken it out of the box it came in

I think they sell those things at the CIA Museum gift store, but you can,t go in unless you have clearance.You can also try ebay.

Back
Top Bottom