Any Hunting in the Billerica State Forest -- Archery? Firearms?

aeromarine

NES Member
From what I can find state forests are owned by the Commonwealth and managed by DCR, and in almost every instance I could find these properties are open to hunting. The one exception I'm aware of is at Harold Parker where some of the land is closed to hunting, I think that part in the Town of Andover. The reason I ask about Billerica is that the town website clearly indicates that hunting is not allowed in the State Forest within its town borders. They treat it the same way they do their other park land which comes under the regulations of the town's Conservation Commission. I'm just curious about how the town can claim jurisdiction over state property since I would have thought the Doctrine of Preemption would prevail. Does anyone know about the details underlying this situation? Did DCR give them a carve out? Has anyone ever challenged lthe town's position? If you have any information about this, please let me know.

Last edited:
No idea, but when I used to walk in the Billerica town forest, I would see people bow hunting all the time. I assumed it was legal, but I didn't think about it.

I don't know if it applies here, but there are times when the State temporarily relinquishes control of its property to a local jurisdiction. Maybe there is such an agreement with regard to this forest.

Dave

From what I can find state forests are owned by the Commonwealth and managed by DCR, and in almost every instance I could find these properties are open to hunting. The one exception I'm aware of is at Harold Parker where some of the land is closed to hunting, I think that part in the Town of Andover. The reason I ask about Billerica is that the town website clearly indicates that hunting is not allowed in the State Forest within its town borders. They treat it the same way they do their other park land which comes under the regulations of the town's Conservation Commission. I'm just curious about how the town can claim jurisdiction over state property since I would have thought the Doctrine of Preemption would prevail. Does anyone know about the details underlying this situation? Did DCR give them a carve out? Has anyone ever challenged lthe town's position? If you have any information about this, please let me know.

The link that you supplied says no hunting and it isn’t listed on the Masswildlife Lands Viewer so I would say that the answer is no. Call MassWildlife to check.

No idea, but when I used to walk in the Billerica town forest, I would see people bow hunting all the time. I assumed it was legal, but I didn't think about it.

Doesn't make it legal.

Bob

I bow hunted and shotgunned there in the 80's and 90's, Used to talk to a very cool MEP Game Warden (who is also a member here) and it was good-to-go then as long as distance laws were followed.
I don't know what its status is now, but this I do know: It is extremely small and crowded with walkers. There are signs posted "Open to Hunting" at all the main entrances. Part of the area is Conservation Land so make sure you don't cross over.

Deer are scarce, but they are there. When hunting pressure is on, they push to the perimeter and
that is bordered by homes or Rt. 3, so Out-of-bounds...

Oh, and the best number of deer were always behind Holland's Junk yard.

Call Mass Wildlife to get the dope...

Happy Hunting...
~Enbloc

Last edited:
Unless DCR has made rules in regards to their properties, Cities and Town By laws or Ordinances do not over ride "State Sovereignty" For DCR properties ask for a copy of their rules and regulations as to what use is allowed on various properties. Then read them yourself, take no ones word. The same goes for town By laws.
Hey enbloc, Thank You.
That was once part of my old stomping grounds (I grew up in N. Billerica) I used to trap that brook right off of 129 for Mink and Coon.

Last edited:
Unless DCR has made rules in regards to their properties, Cities and Town By laws or Ordinances do not over ride "State Sovereignty" For DCR properties ask for a copy of their rules and regulations as to what use is allowed on various properties. Then read them yourself, take no ones word. The same goes for town By laws.
Hey enbloc, Thank You.
That was once part of my old stomping grounds (I grew up in N. Billerica) I used to trap that brook right off of 129 for Mink and Coon.

Yeah, I think it was in those woods I first met you and we talked for some time. You not only gave me great tips on the deer in that area, but also about you being an active fur trapper.
First one I had ever met.
Your commitment to Our sport and the professionalism you bring to it told me a lot about you Joe. I would expect no less from a U.S. Marine...

~Enbloc

The link that you supplied says no hunting and it isn’t listed on the Masswildlife Lands Viewer so I would say that the answer is no. Call MassWildlife to check.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. However, I think the Land Viewer mainly shows Wildlife Management Areas and not the State Forests. Several year ago there used to be signs at the Billerica State Forest warning hunting was allowed year round. The signs were very old and deteriorated but now are gone. Agree, the best way to get an answer is to call the agency with authority over the forest. I've been told by others that if you call Billerica PD you will be told flatly no hunting is allowed in the town off private property, it's their automatic response. But I still question whether a town can exercise authority over actual State Forest property. So, I think I'll call DCR and see what they have to say. But thanks for your input!

For what it's worth, I've seen hunters in there this year. No local police presence...

To bad. You can mountain bike all over the place in Massachusetts... hunt? Not so much.

Every tract of land lost from hunting is a shame.

Well, I just checked on line and found a Mass website that shows in what parks and forests hunting is permitted. Billerica is not on the list so I guess that answers my question. Thank you all for your input!

I read a bit of that website, Seems to be very edited and abbreviated. I question its accuracy. I would suggest that you get a "Current" copy of 304 CMR 12.18 That is the actual Official, Documented Answer. Your State Rep should be able to get one for you at no charge. (That is part of their job)

Last edited:
A good place to park and access the Billerica State Forest is on the road leading into Holland's auto recycling yard just off Treble Cover Road.
By the way another hidden gem for hunting is the Land Locked Forest in Burlington, another area also favored by cyclists. Everyone seems to get along just fine at this point. Note a town permit is required to Hunt there. The land is right on the Lexington border and Lexington has nasty signs that say "No Hunting - If You See Hunting Activity Report it to the Police". It almost makes me laugh to see how two towns can be so different. Actually, it's quite sad to see how anti hunters are able to use their political power to restrict the rights of others. There are now some spots on Carlisle Conservation lands that abut Great Meadows that are open to hunting, too. Both of the above are restricted to archery, though.

A good place to park and access the Billerica State Forest is on the road leading into Holland's auto recycling yard just off Treble Cover Road.
By the way another hidden gem for hunting is the Land Locked Forest in Burlington, another area also favored by cyclists. Everyone seems to get along just fine at this point. Note a town permit is required to Hunt there. The land is right on the Lexington border and Lexington has nasty signs that say "No Hunting - If You See Hunting Activity Report it to the Police". It almost makes me laugh to see how two towns can be so different. Actually, it's quite sad to see how anti hunters are able to use their political power to restrict the rights of others. There are now some spots on Carlisle Conservation lands that abut Great Meadows that are open to hunting, too. Both of the above are restricted to archery, though.
I believe that you can also access that area off of Rangeway Rd. If I remember correctly, by the power lines. Be careful in Carlisle they have been known to go out of their way to screw with hunters.

I believe that you can also access that area off of Rangeway Rd. If I remember correctly, by the power lines. Be careful in Carlisle they have been known to go out of their way to screw with hunters.

From what I've heard the area off Rangeway Rd is now considered town park land and it is managed by the Billerica Conservation Commission and not DCR. But there is access to BSF off Route 129 just east of the Route 3 overpass. It's only a path so parking would have to be on the road.

From what I've heard the area off Rangeway Rd is now considered town park land and it is managed by the Billerica Conservation Commission and not DCR. But there is access to BSF off Route 129 just east of the Route 3 overpass. It's only a path so parking would have to be on the road.
Once again, What you heard is not the "Regulation" Get that CMR and read it for yourself. My Copies of the CMR's are somewhat dated. (I have been retired for ten years come the end of January)

By the way another hidden gem for hunting is the Land Locked Forest in Burlington, another area also favored by cyclists. Everyone seems to get along just fine at this point. Note a town permit is required to Hunt there. The land is right on the Lexington border and Lexington has nasty signs that say "No Hunting - If You See Hunting Activity Report it to the Police". It almost makes me laugh to see how two towns can be so different. Actually, it's quite sad to see how anti hunters are able to use their political power to restrict the rights of others.
It should also be noted that hunting at the land locked forest in Burlington is archery only, no firearms.

Back
Top Bottom