Any Hope? LTC where I work?

So, I received my LTC-A target & hunting in Dracut, MA where I live and was told that "Maybe in a year" I could reapply and they would "possibly" give me a LTC-A ALP. The problem is, in one year (from date of license Jan 09) I do not plan on living in Dracut, but possibly Lowell if I end up closing on a house I was interested in. From what I know, Lowell is a bit more strict with licensing and I likely will not get my ALP if I try to apply in Lowell after 1 year of license.

I know as far as licensing goes, you can apply where you live or where you work. I work in Milford, MA which, according to the chart (http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8703) should issue Class A ALP. Since I currently hold a valid LTC-A with restrictions in Dracut, can I apply in Milford in the hopes that I get an ALP? Or is this approach futile and the Milford PD will simply issue a license with the same restrictions because of my Dracut PD issued License? Any thoughts?

Generally speaking you need to own a business in that town if you're going to use the "work" wallhack, assuming the PD will entertain the idea at all.

You could not pay me a million dollars as an MA gun owner to move into a house in Lowell. There is no "likely" about it, you will NOT get ALP/None in Lowell, unless you have some political connections of some sort. I also would bet that even if you entered with ALP/None that you would probably
get downgraded on renewal.

I'd go for some other surrounding town that doesn't have the same problems
WRT licensing as Lowell does.

-Mike

IIRC you can apply for a license in a town where you work only if it is YOUR business. It doesn't apply if you are employed by someone else.

EDIT: I see that Mike beat me to it. I also second his sentiment about living in Lowel.

Officially I am a partner in two firms based in Milford. I know how you feel about Lowell, trust me. I grew up there and am only considering moving back because of the real estate deal I found. I know several cops in Lowell and they would all vouch for me, but I don't know if that is enough pull. I technically know the Chief in Dracut where I got my license, but that didn't benefit me even after I called him at home and asked for help. My boss is friendly with the Chief in Milford and had no problem getting his ALP there. It's not that I plan on carrying concealed all day everyday, but I don't like being told I can't because of an arbitrary restriction that is unfounded. I have no record of any sort, know many cops that would write recommendations, sucessful young man (only 24), and was third in my class upon college graduation (I'm not trying to brag just painting my picture for you). Yet they still restrict me to "target & hunting"! It is a tad frustrating.

If you have connections there you'll likely need to exploit them. None of that stuff means anything unless you get some kind of real assurance that it won't be a problem.

Be aware that some red towns are VERY bad. As in, "Not giving active and retired law enforcement an unrestricted license" kind of bad. I'm not sure Lowell is that bad, but I've never heard of anything good coming out of that town licensing wise. There are some anti towns where you can wallhack an ALP/None, but I don't think Lowell is one of them.

I just don't see the point in moving into a known bad town, especially not in this real estate market- there are deals everywhere.

-Mike

My advice to you is to drop in Milford PD and have a friendly chat with Tom. He's one of the most pro-2A chiefs in MA. Explain the entire situation to him and ask him if he'd be inclined to issue ALP . . . if so, go for it. As long as you are a business owner in Milford, you qualify to get it there.

This'll cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time and you'll have your answer.

Back
Top Bottom