• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any home-based RI FFL holders on here??

I have applied for my home-based FFL in RI and I am wondering if there is anyone on here who currently holds a valid home-based FFL and would be willing to speak with me personally regarding some questions I have. I am willing to pay for your time. Please either respond here or private message me if anyone is able to help.

Thank you in advance!!

I know there is a guy at my gun club who had one, and I have heard of a few others as well. From what I understand it's difficult to get them now and those guys got them years ago. There are about to 100 FFL's in RI according to the ARE, and there are not that .any who has a store front.

My understanding is I should be good to go as long as I have no dis-qualifiers. Also, I have been told the number one reason for denials is zoning issues. My home is zoned as B2 - General Business. I've already cleared it with zoning, I am good to go to operate a business from my home. I could actually post a sign and have customers coming and going as I please and the neighbors can't do anything about it. All I would need in addition to my FFL is a town business license. I see alot more home-based FFL's in RI as active versus store fronts.

I have heard that MA is an absolute denial for home-based FFL's but in RI it seems doable. I also see that alot of these home-based FFL's in RI have renewed recently as well. I would just like to spend an hour or so with someone who currently holds a home-based FFL to pick their brain with a few questions I have, if anyone is willing...

One last thing....if I am denied I get my $200 fee back so I really have nothing to lose in trying.

I was going to start a new thread, but figured I would just use this one to document my FFL application process. I sent my FFL app to the ATF on 10/9/2016 and just received a call from my local ATF agent. He was very friendly and informative. At this point, I am waiting to go in front of the town board to get my business license and zoning clearance. Once I have that, he said to give him a call so we can setup our FTF appointment.

I am cleared on the federal level, good to go. I go in front of the board Nov 14th for my business license approval, I'll keep everyone posted as things progress.

I did have a discussion with my town Zoning department a few weeks ago and they indicated I would be approved based on the fact that my home is zoned General Business, so hopefully there are no hold ups.

So I had my ATF interview 11/22, my FFL has been approved! Just waiting on my physical license to arrive in the mail now. I was a bit nervous going into the interview, however my nerves were eased quickly. The agent was very friendly & informative. Eventually, i felt like i was just having a conversation with a friend about firearms. He explained a few forms, including the newly revised 4473. Went over federal law sections briefly, unless i had additional specific questions. He even clarified what is considered manufacturing, and how to work around the laws to stay within guidelines which was interesting.

I definitely learned some things, look forward to helping people out with purchases, transfers & training. Next step is to get my NRA certification so i can do live-fire qualifications.

Welcome aboard. Now go "Dealer". Jack.

Thanks!! I have messaged a few admins to get an understanding of what the advantages are for going "Dealer" rather than just going "green". Trying to see if the $100 is worth it....but i have not gotten any responses. If I go green, I can still utilize the classified section.

Back
Top Bottom