1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Any heating guys in Quincy area? Gas steam boiler problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by minininjer, Feb 20, 2018.

1. minininjer

minininjer NES Door Greeter NES Member

Is anyone here a heating guy or have a heating guy in the Quincy area?

Sooo, I just arrived today in the Q. My parents (who live in Quincy) have been without heat for almost a week now. What happened was, I believe, my mom turned down the thermostat; it was warm’ish for a couple days last week, then when it got colder again she turned it back up a little and noticed the actual temp didn’t go up. The house is colder than it normally should be. My parents called a few places and no one returned their calls for some reason.

Bare with me as I know jack squat about this stuff. Basics.... it’s a gas steam boiler, I think. The pilot light is on. I couldn’t see the flame glow during the day, even with all the lights off because the daylight from the windows were too bright. But I saw it tonight in the pitch dark and it does glow. There is some kind of hissing sound, which I believe is normal. Turning the thermostat up, I can’t hear the boiler kick on. I don’t smell gas so I don’t think it’s leaking. If it was leaking, they would be dead by now, wouldn’t they?? Stopped working last Wed, I think.

If I had balls, they will freeze off and I’ll get hypothermia tonight during my sleep. I need halp, pls save me! If you know a guy who does heating services in Quincy or if you’re a guy who does it, please let me know here or PM is fine as well. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dustoff22 and namedpipes like this.

2. Hanwei

Hanwei NES Member

PM Inbound

3. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

PM sent

4. namedpipes

namedpipes

Rotate the dial clockwise. You have the temp set for like 40F.

If that doesn't work, try binking the thermostat.

5. Danb3387

Danb3387

Go try a new thermostat. Very simple to wire up. It’s only two wires.

6. zboys

zboys NES Member

Oh boy, amateur hour. 99.999% of the time it is never the thermostat, people need to stop changing them just because it's been the only thing they can do.

gasaman, 71montess and Fixxah like this.
  7. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Jump out the thermostat. I am leaning towards the pigtail being plugged with goo. It is the loop under the pressuretrol switch near top of boiler.

Make sure there is enough water in there. Reset low water cutoff if red light is on.

8. CC driver

CC driver NES Member

Yes, chances are the water level is too low. The sight glass is dirty, making it difficult to see what the water level might be. Also, the boiler appears to be beyond its expected service life. At the very least, have a qualified technician service the boiler. Good luck!

42! likes this.
  9. mjbitt

mjbitt NES Member

Clean out the pig tail under the limit control

10. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

She says the furnace comes on when turning the thermostat on, so it's not electrical or a gas issue. Definitely check the water level. I don't know if it was because the water level cut off wasn't working or it just wasn't low enough but my, very similar, gas boiler still fired when the water was low and I'd get little or no heat. But be careful with the fill valve, they can rot internally and may not shut completely. A slow leak through the fill valve will eventually fill the system with water, and it doesn't work that way either.

11. namedpipes

namedpipes

You have to understand Minininjerese. As cute as she is, she's still just a millenial...

Maxing or mining the thermostat made no difference. The boiler did not fire up.

Since then, an NES'er has gone out and the boiler does fire when jumpered at the boiler but not when jumpered at the t-stat. So likely a bad connection or broken wire.

minininjer likes this.
  12. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Glad it is done. The ideas from those who haven't a clue has been limited which prevents migraines.

boscru likes this.
  13. namedpipes

namedpipes

Last I heard (offline) was they got it to fire by jumpering. It may not be done YET but it sounds like they have it figured out.

14. minininjer

Well, normally it does lol but right now, no, it does NOT turn on when I turn the thermostat up.

Someone I got a PM from (we’ll keep you as a lurker ;)) this morning came over and he shorted the red and yellow wires? from the 3rd pic and it kicked on. Did the same thing at the thermostat and nothing, it did not kick on. Checked various controls and couldn’t seem to find the problem. We now have someone coming out to the house tomorrow morning. So, we’re just waiting for that to happen.

I’ll update when I have something.

15. minininjer

Ummm, ya, what namedpipes said. How’d you know all those details? Wait, you have cams setup in my parents house too???! How do you know where my parents live?!!!

enbloc likes this.
  16. CWulf

CWulf NES Member

I'm pretty sure its the hubcap. Its probably interfering with the alignment of the Gonkulator and the Fratastat. A well known problem with those old boilers.

Oldarmy and MisterHappy like this.
  17. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

Oh well I tried [frown] GIGO

namedpipes likes this.
  18. namedpipes

namedpipes

No, the gps, cam and mic is in the brooch I gave you for Christmas. It was a stroke of genius to build them into a figurine of a fortune cookie!

minininjer likes this.
  19. chopper_man

chopper_man Army Veteran NES Member

You need to check the water level. The glass appears to show some BUT they have been known to give false reading due to the brass fittings filling with crud and actually trapping the water in there. The low water cut-off should be protecting you and preventing the boiler from firing if the water is low but it is possible that has failed as well.

20. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

I'm actually pretty sure that there are supposed to be two hubcaps for it to run properly.

I will echo the need to check the water level I used to live in a house with two steam boilers, and the newer unit used to need water constantly. We shut the automatic feed off because it would overfill.

21. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

This thread... or the furnace? :)

minininjer likes this.
  22. boscru

boscru NES Member

nailed it !!!!!! exactly the reason i did not post. i might screw around with my own boiler, but not experienced enough to give others advice, and smart enough to know when i'm in over my head. age does have advantages sometimes

23. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    reps for Gonkulator reference

Fixxah likes this.
  24. minininjer

Update... heat is fixed. I wasn’t there during the repair but I think/heard what happened was.... water level was ok but it was super dirty and basically needed to be cleaned out. Once the tech cleaned it out (took about an hour), all was good to go.

I know some people mentioned “pig tail” and stuff being plugged/clogged up. Is this what you guys were referring to or is that something else?

25. bill o

bill o

The pigtail is a loop of tubing that protects the pressuretrol from heat. There is normally water in it, but it can get clogged with sediment and prevent the pressuretrol from reading the actual pressure in the boiler.

I recommend the book "We Got Steam Heat" to understand what's going on.

26. namedpipes

namedpipes

Just don't ever cut the red wire.

Or was it the green wire?