• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

any heads up while carrying in NH

Just a reminder, in NH there is no "LTC". It's a concealed carry permit.

If you want to carry a gun in NH, you don't need a license. Just OC.

Yeah, with the caveat that as soon as you step into an MV you're breaking the law, which makes permitless OC pretty much worthless.

-Mike

But do you know anyone who has ever actually been asked to leave? I don't, and I OC pretty much exclusively everywhere including Keene and Nashua regularly. The only encounters I actually have had were people who were gun owners or wanted to know more about getting a gun.
No. I was just stating that such policies exist and that a carrier should comply with policy enforcers if asked since not doing so could lead to a trespass charge.

Some free keene types got kicked out of Pheasant Lane mall after OCing there, then they dropped their food on the food court in a tantrum protest of sorts when they were asked to leave. There also was an incident in Portsmouth but I don't remember the details.

-Mike

I've OC'd at the mall on many occasions. Never had an issue. But I wasn't there intentionally drawing attention to myself either.

But basically, you have two examples. Not much of a trend based on how many people carry in NH.

- - - Updated - - -

No. I was just stating that such policies exist and that a carrier should comply with policy enforcers if asked since not doing so could lead to a trespass charge.

I agree. No point stirring the pot beyond the asked to leave situation. Unless you really like dealing with cops and courts.

I've OC'd at the mall on many occasions. Never had an issue. But I wasn't there intentionally drawing attention to myself either.

But basically, you have two examples. Not much of a trend based on how many people carry in NH.

I'm not saying it's even a trend, I'm just suggesting that it can happen. Obviously real world, big boy rules apply... if someone goes somewhere and isn't a douche, the odds of having a problem from OC in NH are probably pretty minimal.

-Mike

I called the NH State Police and yes ...
You guys are right. Gun should be in a case not loaded and the ammo should not be in the same case either. I guess I should have called them instead of asking the
LEO in MA.
Rob ....

I called the NH State Police and yes ...
You guys are right. Gun should be in a case not loaded and the ammo should not be in the same case either.
I guess I should have called them instead of asking the
LEO in MA.
Rob ....

LOL, you wasted your time actually calling the kopsch? [rofl]

BTW all of upper new england is "free by default." Unloaded guns in a car are no problem in VT, NH, and ME... and in VT and ME you can carry a loaded handgun with you too no problem, concealed. If you get your P/R license in NH you can carry loaded handguns in car, too. Only caveat is ME is "must notify" the LEO on traffic stop if you are carrying and don't have a license.

-Mike

well ya ... I got plenty of free time ...
oh ya I forgot ... that's right everything you read on the Internet must be true ... SMH ...
Rob ...

well ya ... I got plenty of free time ...
oh ya I forgot ... that's right everything you read on the Internet must be true ... SMH ...
Rob ...

So the fact that like several hundred people on this board live in NH, know the law... and a good portion of the rest of us who don't live there..... who probably visit NH weekly or several times a year... who also know the law.... we're all lying to you?

Also RSA 159 isn't that difficult to decipher. I don't even think all of NH gun law is more than 3 pages long and you could probably summarize it on two sides of an index card or a few cocktail napkins.

-Mike

I did just read the STICKY thread here ....
I found it funny to read that you can actually carry a handgun (empty)
not concealed in public in NH and it is OK .... Dammm ....
If I tried that here in MA in my own yard and someone drove by
I would probably have SWAT called in on me. Crap ...
I live in the wrong State ...
Sorry I am new to being a gun owner ...
Just went to my LTC class in MA this past December and do not want
to have my scared privilege of gun ownership taken away in this suckass State :-(
BTW .. Thanks for enlighten me on the NH laws. Guess I should have read the STICKY first :-(
Rob ....

Last edited:
I found it funny to read that you can actually carry a handgun (empty)
to have me scared privilege of gun ownership in this suckass State :-(
Rob ....

Not empty. You can buy guns and ammo and open carry a LOADED firearm without ever getting any kind of license.

You can't carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a conceal carry permit. It's a weird interpretation of the conceal/OC law.

Not empty. You can buy guns and ammo and open carry a LOADED firearm without ever getting any kind of license.

You can't carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a conceal carry permit. It's a weird interpretation of the conceal/OC law.

Dammm .... Who writes these crazy ass laws ...
I am from MA and they won't let me walk out with a handgun in NH.
I went to Shooter's for the first time a week ago with my Wife and
my jaw hit the floor. I looked at my Wife and said I didn't bring enough
money ... LOL ... They should hand out towels at the door for us first timers.
I have never drooled over so many guns in one place. Sad part was we
went to go look and buy our first hand guns they said ... Sorry we do not sell
handguns to MA residents because they do not ship out them.
Ended up at Four Seasons in Woburn, MA and bought three in one day :)
Then we go to another small shop in Western MA to buy a handgun for my
Wife since all the other places down here ran out of the one she wanted.
Went there bought one and looked at another handgun and the guy says
sorry we only sell ONE handgun a day per person because they have to
notify ATF (I think that is who they said) if you buy more than ONE handgun.
They said they did not want raise a red flag for them or us. Wife looked at
me like WTF ... you bought three ... so I said I guess FS didn't care and
I didn't look for any helicopters in the sky following me home .. LOL ..
Rob ....

Last edited:

in addition - you can actually carry a gun concealed with no permit if it is unloaded and you have no ammo anywhere on your person. But of course if you are doing that... what's the point...

question for those in the know, how open does oc have to be for a non permit non resident. if just the back of the but or backstrap shows, is that enough to not be accused of concealed carry. i will apply for a permit but dont have one at present

I found it funny to read that you can actually carry a handgun (loaded)
to have my scared privilege of gun ownership taken away in this suckass State :-(
BTW .. Thanks for enlighten me on the NH laws. Guess I should have read the STICKY first :-(
Rob ....

FIFY

Last edited:
question for those in the know, how open does oc have to be for a non permit non resident. if just the back of the but or backstrap shows, is that enough to not be accused of concealed carry. i will apply for a permit but dont have one at present

The gun just need to be identifiable without moving clothing. So if you have a Crossbreed supertuck, you can use it as long as you don't cover the grip with your shirt.

Oh .. I meant if you are from MA and do not have a non-resident CC
Am I reading that right ?
I (being from MA and not having a non-resident CC) could walk around (legally)
in NH with an unloaded and/or loaded handgun and not have it concealed in NH and it is OK ?
And the only time I have to worry is when it is in my truck and to have it not loaded and in a case ?
I live right on the MA/NH border so sorry I ask so many questions about it.
Just do not want to get in trouble until my non-resident comes in.
Mailed in money and form 2 weeks ago.
Rob ...

Last edited:
Oh .. I meant if you are from MA and do not have a non-resident CC
Am I reading that right ?
I (being from MA and not having a non-resident CC) could walk around (legally)
in NH with an unloaded and/orloaded handgun and not have it concealed in NH and it is OK ? YES
And the only time I have to worry is when it is in my truck and to have it not loaded ? YES
I live right on the MA/NH border so sorry I ask so many questions about it.
Just do not want to get in trouble until my non-resident comes in.
Mailed in money and form 2 weeks ago.
Rob ...

see above

WOW ....
I definitely live in the wrong friggin State :-(
So I could have WALKED there with the gun in my hand all the way ... LOL ...
Not sure if this is the right place to ask ...
I know in MA there is no friggin way I can shoot mine on my 2 acres of land
where houses are about 200 to 300 feet away. I think in MA it is something like
500 feet from a house but not sure. What is it like up there ?
Rob ....

Up here the limitation is for hunting distance, not target shooting. There are compact areas where shooting can be restricted. Mostly these would be your town centers where lawns don't exist anyway.

WOW ....
I definitely live in the wrong friggin State :-(
So I could have WALKED there with the gun in my hand all the way ... LOL ...
Not sure if this is the right place to ask ...
I know in MA there is no friggin way I can shoot mine on my 2 acres of land
where houses are about 200 to 300 feet away. I think in MA it is something like
500 feet from a house but not sure. What is it like up there ?
Rob ....

Definitely don't walk around in any state with a gun in your hand, always in a holster.

NH it's 300 feet, or permission from a landowner if you're closer. Just have to make sure you have a suitable backstop.

OMG ....
So if you had like say 2 acres you can shoot your handgun ?
Of course I would imagine you would have to have a real good
back stop to prevent shots going elsewhere.
If this is so my neighbors would hate me until it gets old shooting.
Right now I can't get enough .. as it is I stop at every Walmart to check
9mm bullet prices. Just bought a case of 250 out in Orange, MA on
the way home from buying my Wife's gun ;-)
Rob ....

Last edited:
OMG ....
So if you had like say 2 acres you can shoot your handgun ?
Of course I would imagine you would have to have a real good
back stop to prevent shots going elsewhere.
If this is so my neighbors would hate me until it gets old shooting.
Right now I can't get enough .. as it is I stop at every Walmart to check
9mm bullet prices. Just bought a case of 250 out in Orange, MA on
the way home from buying my Wife's gun ;-)
Rob ....

You could shoot a 50BMG machine gun if you wanted to. I routinely hear gun fire at my house from neighbors. It's normal up here.

Definitely don't walk around in any state with a gun in your hand, always in a holster.

Ohh .. I would not do that .. I was only saying I could have legally ...
Have not decided on a holster yet. Bought a Uncle Mikes #4 for my
Shield to carry it in my inside Winter jacket for now.

NH it's 300 feet, or permission from a landowner if you're closer.
Just have to make sure you have a suitable backstop.

Oh ... OK ... I guess my house will have to be on 10 acres ;-)

I live only a few miles from Old Glory Gun store in Mason,NH and love going there to fondle all the rifles ... LOL ...
Is there an AA type of meeting for gun ownership ;-)
They have some big ass rifle on the counter ... I think it is a 50 caliber ...
All I know I would hate to be the poor sucker on the receiving end of it's bullets.
They sell the empty bullet (casing ?) at the counter and I almost bought one to
put on my desk at work. I decided not to since I work in downtown Boston and
it probably wouldn't go over so well ... LOL ...
Rob ...

in addition - you can actually carry a gun concealed with no permit if it is unloaded and you have no ammo anywhere on your person. But of course if you are doing that... what's the point...

Well, that's wrong. Nothing like spewing a little BS into the thread.

State of NH v. Dor: Accordingly, we hold that in order for a pistol or revolver to be considered “loaded” within the meaning of RSA 159:4, the pistol or revolver must contain a cartridge in the chamber or must contain a magazine, cylinder, or clip inserted in or otherwise adjoined to the firearm such that the firearm can be discharged through normal operation.

You can have a bandoleer of mags across your chest and an unloaded pistol "...in any vehicle or concealed upon [your] person" and still be good to go.

Well, that's wrong. Nothing like spewing a little BS into the thread.

You can have a bandoleer of mags across your chest and an unloaded pistol "...in any vehicle or concealed upon [your] person" and still be good to go.

Oh really? well THAT's wrong...

I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

• You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
  • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
  • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
  • Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html#A1

Oh really? well THAT's wrong...

I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

• You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
  • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
  • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
  • Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html#A1

Try again. I know some FAQ carries heavy weight, but I quoted both the law

RSA 159:4

and the court case that interprets that law

THE STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE v. ORIOL DOR

But, hey, there is the FAQ...

Back
Top Bottom