• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

any heads up while carrying in NH

Try again. I know some FAQ carries heavy weight, but I quoted both the law

RSA 159:4

and the court case that interprets that law

THE STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE v. ORIOL DOR

But, hey, there is the FAQ...

Well I guess you can try it out.... turn in your permit and walk around concealed with the mags across your chest and let me know how that works out. You may be right in the end, and the FAQ's are a pile of crap, but the officer that arrests you will tell you to complain to the judge about RSA 159. Not worth the arrest and aggravation to me.

Well I guess you can try it out.... turn in your permit and walk around concealed with the mags across your chest and let me know how that works out. You may be right in the end, and the FAQ's are a pile of crap, but the officer that arrests you will tell you to complain to the judge about RSA 159. Not worth the arrest and aggravation to me.

You don't complain to the judge, you reference the case above and your charges get dismissed.

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about case law.

The FAQ is incorrect and a FAQ is not binding law.

You don't complain to the judge, you reference the case above and your charges get dismissed.

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about case law.

The FAQ is incorrect and a FAQ is not binding law.

ok that's fine. Not hard to understand at all. I'm just not going to put myself in a position to be in front of the judge. Spent most of my life in NH and have my license anyway so no worries.
One might think they would not contradict themselves and at some point update their website - as the official website should be somewhere to go to be able to get reliable information.
The FAQ is apparently incorrect as you say - so by all means, write to the NH state police and tell them to correct their website.
But please, if you feel the need, instead, keep jumping all over me for the inaccurate website, I can handle it.

Yes, the FAQ on the NH website is incorrect, who knows when they will ever get around to updating it. I've emailed them, and posted about it here, maybe they forgot the Microsoft Frontpage password.

I see that State of NH v. Oriol Dor, was decided 8/7/2013. Wonder what the chances are they get the website fixed to reflect case law by 8/7/2016?

So if you had like say 2 acres you can shoot your handgun ? Of course I would imagine you would have to have a real good back stop to prevent shots going elsewhere.
If this is so my neighbors would hate me until it gets old shooting.
Correct -- avoid compact areas and set up a good backstop, then to ensure your neighbors don't complain, get a good suppressor or two.

Last edited:
ok that's fine. Not hard to understand at all. I'm just not going to put myself in a position to be in front of the judge. Spent most of my life in NH and have my license anyway so no worries.
One might think they would not contradict themselves and at some point update their website - as the official website should be somewhere to go to be able to get reliable information.
The FAQ is apparently incorrect as you say - so by all means, write to the NH state police and tell them to correct their website.
But please, if you feel the need, instead, keep jumping all over me for the inaccurate website, I can handle it.

No one is jumping all over you for the inaccurate website. They're jumping all over you for giving demonstratively wrong information to others about NH laws.

Live your live as you choose, but don't give shitty advice to others.

The gun just need to be identifiable without moving clothing. So if you have a Crossbreed supertuck, you can use it as long as you don't cover the grip with your shirt.
thanks, i will carry my NAA 22mag peahooter for now IWB, the grip is so small it does not look like a gun.

I live only a few miles from Old Glory Gun store in Mason,NH and love going there to fondle all the rifles ... LOL ...
Is there an AA type of meeting for gun ownership ;-)
They have some big ass rifle on the counter ... I think it is a 50 caliber ...
All I know I would hate to be the poor sucker on the receiving end of it's bullets.
They sell the empty bullet (casing ?) at the counter and I almost bought one to
put on my desk at work. I decided not to since I work in downtown Boston and
it probably wouldn't go over so well ... LOL ...
Rob ...

Welcome to the neighborhood. I moved to Mason a little over a year ago. I shoot quite often at my house.

No one is jumping all over you for the inaccurate website. They're jumping all over you for giving demonstratively wrong information to others about NH laws.

Live your live as you choose, but don't give shitty advice to others.

I think that would be the NH state police giving the wrong information to everyone.
Alas - i should be lucky enough to one day achieve the moral superiority of some who had an opportunity to simply correct the information stated without having to call is all "BS" from high atop the mountain.
Oh and yes - I will live my life as I choose.

But do you know anyone who has ever actually been asked to leave? I don't, and I OC pretty much exclusively everywhere including Keene and Nashua regularly. The only encounters I actually have had were people who were gun owners or wanted to know more about getting a gun.

My former roommate was asked to leave the outlets (or place the firearm in his vehicle) in Merrimack because he wasn't completely concealed and a rent a cop saw it. Meanwhile I was standing right next to him with my properly concealed firearm and was ignored.

I called the NH State Police and yes ...
You guys are right. Gun should be in a case not loaded and the ammo should not be in the same case either. I guess I should have called them instead of asking the
LEO in MA.
Rob ....

And even the NHSP got it wrong. There's no requirement for ammo to be in a separate case (or any case at all).

Dammm .... Who writes these crazy ass laws ...
I am from MA and they won't let me walk out with a handgun in NH.
I went to Shooter's for the first time a week ago with my Wife and
my jaw hit the floor. I looked at my Wife and said I didn't bring enough
money ... LOL ... They should hand out towels at the door for us first timers.
I have never drooled over so many guns in one place. Sad part was we
went to go look and buy our first hand guns they said ... Sorry we do not sell
handguns to MA residents because they do not ship out them.
Ended up at Four Seasons in Woburn, MA and bought three in one day :)
Then we go to another small shop in Western MA to buy a handgun for my
Wife since all the other places down here ran out of the one she wanted.
Went there bought one and looked at another handgun and the guy says
sorry we only sell ONE handgun a day per person because they have to
notify ATF (I think that is who they said) if you buy more than ONE handgun.
They said they did not want raise a red flag for them or us. Wife looked at
me like WTF ... you bought three ... so I said I guess FS didn't care and
I didn't look for any helicopters in the sky following me home .. LOL ..
Rob ....

So, Federal law is that if an FFL sells two or more handguns to an individual within five business days (typically a full week due to the weekends), they have to fill out a Form 3310 for the individual. The form gets sent to the FFL's Chief of Police, the ATF, and retains a copy for their records.

It is not a "red flag" for the ffl, just extra paper work, and probably why they didn't want to do it. It may trigger a conversation between the Individual and the ATF. I personally have trigger the 3310 multiple times in one month and haven't gotten a call/visit from the ATF.

Like everything else, there are ways to avoid the 3310 if you are so inclined, but it's a lot of effort for little reward.

So, Federal law is that if an FFL sells two or more handguns to an individual within five business days (typically a full week due to the weekends), they have to fill out a Form 3310 for the individual. The form gets sent to the FFL's Chief of Police, the ATF, and retains a copy for their records.

It is not a "red flag" for the ffl, just extra paper work, and probably why they didn't want to do it. It may trigger a conversation between the Individual and the ATF. I personally have trigger the 3310 multiple times in one month and haven't gotten a call/visit from the ATF.

Like everything else, there are ways to avoid the 3310 if you are so inclined, but it's a lot of effort for little reward.
i concur. couple notes,
1) the business days are counted by the operating days of that particular business, NOT standard business days. i.e. if the FFL is open 1 day a week, it would take 5 weeks.
2) i think they call the FFL first. at least from what a FFL dealer told me, i got the impression that they always follow up with the FFL.

So far, for the shop I help out part time in, the only time the atf called about a 3310 was when someone didn't completely fill it out (forgot DOB and place of birth)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

But do you know anyone who has ever actually been asked to leave? I don't, and I OC pretty much exclusively everywhere including Keene and Nashua regularly. The only encounters I actually have had were people who were gun owners or wanted to know more about getting a gun.
Some free keene types got kicked out of Pheasant Lane mall after OCing there, then they dropped their food on the food court in a tantrum protest of sorts when they were asked to leave.

Two Pheasant Lane mall cops got mouthy with me for open-carrying a Nikon Coolpix 7900 near the Food Court on Mike Huckabee's Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day in 2012. "Near" the Food Court, because the line of customers waiting peacefully to buy Chick-Fil-A stretched out into the mall proper.

I've OC'd at the mall on many occasions. Never had an issue. But I wasn't there intentionally drawing attention to myself either.

That's a quantum leap in "oblivious" on the mall cops' part.

They were probably too busy looking for cameras.

And even the NHSP got it wrong. There's no requirement for ammo to be in a separate case (or any case at all).
^This.

well the short story in New Hampshire is that you can probably get away with more here than any other state except maybe alaska. i'm not even sure i can name a state or local gun law here, maybe there's one that forbids carrying past the metal detector at a court house or something. a couple state/local laws may come into effect if you're a felon or have a domestic violence restraining order. do anti gun signs in buildings even have any legal enforceability here beyond being able to make someone leave?

Move to NH for gun freedom
Free State Project | Liberty Lives in New Hampshire

Wow, NHSP updated the FAQ!

i'm not even sure i can name a state or local gun law here, maybe there's one that forbids carrying past the metal detector at a court house or something. a couple state/local laws may come into effect if you're a felon or have a domestic violence restraining order. do anti gun signs in buildings even have any legal enforceability here beyond being able to make someone leave?
No rights are safe while the statehouse is in session, especially now. But for the moment, statewide preemption means there are no local laws, only state laws, and very few of those.

well the short story in New Hampshire is that you can probably get away with more here than any other state except maybe alaska. i'm not even sure i can name a state or local gun law here, maybe there's one that forbids carrying past the metal detector at a court house or something. a couple state/local laws may come into effect if you're a felon or have a domestic violence restraining order. do anti gun signs in buildings even have any legal enforceability here beyond being able to make someone leave?

Move to NH for gun freedom
Free State Project | Liberty Lives in New Hampshire

The only punt in the rectum in NH is no loaded long guns in motor vehicles, because the douchebags at F&G kept shooting down the law every time it was proposed to change it. They should have at least changed it so you could have a rifle/shotgun mag/tube loaded but no round chambered that'd at least be a huge improvement.

-Mike

The only punt in the rectum in NH is no loaded long guns in motor vehicles, because the douchebags at F&G kept shooting down the law every time it was proposed to change it. They should have at least changed it so you could have a rifle/shotgun mag/tube loaded but no round chambered that'd at least be a huge improvement.
SB500 made a start at this, fixed up RSA 207 including a definition for "loaded" took effect 08/24/2018:

1:XIV-a.Loaded” shall mean a round or projectile in the chamber fully dischargeable by pulling the trigger.
7, II No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile, or aircraft, when moving, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, muzzleloader, or air rifle...

Last edited:
SB500 made a start at this, fixed up RSA 207 including a definition for "loaded" took effect 08/24/2018:

1:XIV-a.Loaded” shall mean a round or projectile in the chamber fully dischargeable by pulling the trigger.
7, II No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile, or aircraft, when moving, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, muzzleloader, or air rifle...

If that actually passed completely, that's a big step ahead from what it used to be!

-Mike

I have seen a few bars post No Weapons signs. These are local places and not a chain.
But they don't always have them posted other times but strictly for bike week.

I have seen a few bars post No Weapons signs. These are local places and not a chain.
But they don't always have them posted other times but strictly for bike week.
They can post whatever they want, but no sign has force of law, the "No Weapons" sign at the biker bar means no more or less than the sign at Costco or on the entrance to Pheasant Lane Mall.

Back
Top Bottom