any heads up while carrying in NH

will be travelling to Laconia for bike week. Anything I should be alerted about while carrying with my non
resident CCW? I know if its posted at establishment no CCW, you dont carry. Any other laws I should be
aware of? Thanks

will be travelling to Laconia for bike week. Anything I should be alerted about while carrying with my non
resident CCW? I know if its posted at establishment no CCW, you dont carry. Any other laws I should be
aware of? Thanks

Posting has no legal force in NH, and very few places are actually posted. If you go to a place that's posted, just keep it concealed. They won't know, and you aren't breaking any laws.

Don't drink, Cops tend to have attitudes at times and a lot of places are posted no weapons

Very few places are posted in NH, and I can't recall a single bar, nor have I ever heard of a NH cop giving someone a hard time for having a few drinks while armed, so long as you don't get drunk and act like an idiot.

Welcome to New Hampshire, welcome to America. Please leave the Massachusetts statism at the border. Thanks so much. [grin][smile]

This.

Don't act like you're from Mass while you're here. Act like you know how to be responsible for yourself and are prepared to take the consequences of your actions. You know, like a grown up. You'll be fine. [wink]

Keep in mind, as always and especially so at bike week, that you will not be the only one armed. Also, a heads up - if you plan on visiting the beer tent behind the Lobster Pound, you will be patted down before you enter and you will be turned around if your found carrying.

Keep in mind, as always and especially so at bike week, that you will not be the only one armed. Also, a heads up - if you plan on visiting the beer tent behind the Lobster Pound, you will be patted down before you enter and you will be turned around if your found carrying.

Things have changed then in the few years since I last attended. We used to have a tent in the vendor area at the Lobster Pound, and there was no doubt that we were both armed, and having a few drinks, but maybe they just treat vendors differently.

Posting has no legal force in NH, and very few places are actually posted. If you go to a place that's posted, just keep it concealed. They won't know, and you aren't breaking any laws.

Very few places are posted in NH, and I can't recall a single bar, nor have I ever heard of a NH cop giving someone a hard time for having a few drinks while armed, so long as you don't get drunk and act like an idiot.

I cannot recall ever seeing a no weapons sign.

However, if you are asked to leave because it is found out that you have a weapon, you must leave or face trespassing charges. (IANAL but this is my understanding of the law).

What everyone else said...

Over the weekend I was out with the family on the ATVs. I always keep my gun in a fender bag by my left leg. We stopped in one town for the fair they were having. I strapped the gun to my belt and went to the fair. I defiantly caught LE looking me over at a distance but that was it. I wasn't causing and trouble and well within my rights to carry. This is all I expect when open carry. For CC you will have no problem unless you get drunk and cause a problem...

If I were to carry at bike week it would be concealed or not at all. I went there for the first time back in 1971 and been there the last 15 years straight. To open carry carry in a crowd there will be at least one drunk that would think its funny to try to grab it. The girls at the beer tents never ever shut anyone off for drinking to much that can still hand them money and tip. Talking to local leo's from Laconia, Sturgis etc they all say the same thing that is not really the bikers that are the problems. I have bee told that 75% of the arrests are local kids that live with in 25 miles that think this is their chance to go wild and get away with it.

I am not concerned if there is no Ramifications if I carry where its posted no weapons. I conceal carry. As far as pat down, there are many carry options, ankle, undercarry, chest,pouch carry and others.

What everyone else said...

Over the weekend I was out with the family on the ATVs. I always keep my gun in a fender bag by my left leg. We stopped in one town for the fair they were having. I strapped the gun to my belt and went to the fair. I defiantly caught LE looking me over at a distance but that was it. I wasn't causing and trouble and well within my rights to carry. This is all I expect when open carry. For CC you will have no problem unless you get drunk and cause a problem...

Welcome to the North Country! :)

Over the weekend I was out with the family on the ATVs. I always keep my gun in a fender bag by my left leg. We stopped in one town for the fair they were having. I strapped the gun to my belt and went to the fair.
Just a reminder for folks who might not know: this is legal with a handgun, but it is illegal to carry any long gun in a motor vehicle, OHRV (ATV), or snowmobile, if it is loaded or there is ammo in the magazine.

Just a reminder for folks who might not know: this is legal with a handgun, but it is illegal to carry any long gun in a motor vehicle, OHRV (ATV), or snowmobile, if it is loaded or there is ammo in the magazine.

It is also illegal to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle unless you have a NH pistol / revolver license (or are from a state that has reciprocity with NH. No New England state has reciprocity with NH).

It is also illegal to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle unless you have a NH pistol / revolver license (or are from a state that has reciprocity with NH. No New England state has reciprocity with NH).

I know this is a really old thread, but seemed like a good place to ask a follow-up question still. [grin]

I am a MA resident. Can I bring an unloaded, container-locked-up handgun into NH in order to just go to a shooting range/shooting class, without a non-resident pistol/revolver license?

Thanks!

I know this is a really old thread, but seemed like a good place to ask a follow-up question still. [grin]

I am a MA resident. Can I bring an unloaded, container-locked-up handgun into NH in order to just go to a shooting range/shooting class, without a non-resident pistol/revolver license?

Thanks!

Yes. No 'locking up in container" part required though once you enter NH.

-Mike

Yes, unloaded while in car or carrying concealed with no p&rl, locked up in container is irrelevant. Locked case or trunk is a MA thing.

I asked a LEO here in Boston where I work early last week while on my walk
to lunch in Chinatown. I asked because I just got my MA LTC and wanted to
take my handguns to the indoor range in Hudson, NH only 13 miles from my
house. The LEO said it was not legal .... No biggie for me because we were
going there to rent guns anyway and I already applied for my non-resident
LTC in NH and should have it anytime now !
IMHO ... I would call a NH Police Station or the State Police and ask just to
be sure. It would suck if you took the word here and get caught. I was going
to chance it but decided it was not worth the chance.
Rob ....

Just a reminder, in NH there is no "LTC". It's a concealed carry permit.

If you want to carry a gun in NH, you don't need a license. Just OC.

Rob ....
Go back to the LEO, get this in writing and have him sign it. Then post the letter here. Should be good for a laugh. Jack.

Rob ....

It's pretty much covered. We know our laws.

Rob ....

first mistake...

As with all other states, pretty much all corporate brick & mortar establishments in NH have policies against carry. Pick any mall, cinema, whatever and there will be a policy against carry. Signs are legally non-binding, but refusing to leave after you have been called out could result in a trespass charge.

As with all other states, pretty much all corporate brick & mortar establishments in NH have policies against carry. Pick any mall, cinema, whatever and there will be a policy against carry. Signs are legally non-binding, but refusing to leave after you have been called out could result in a trespass charge.

But do you know anyone who has ever actually been asked to leave? I don't, and I OC pretty much exclusively everywhere including Keene and Nashua regularly. The only encounters I actually have had were people who were gun owners or wanted to know more about getting a gun.

But do you know anyone who has ever actually been asked to leave? I don't, and I OC pretty much exclusively everywhere including Keene and Nashua regularly. The only encounters I actually have had were people who were gun owners or wanted to know more about getting a gun.

Some free keene types got kicked out of Pheasant Lane mall after OCing there, then they dropped their food on the food court in a tantrum protest of sorts when they were asked to leave. There also was an incident in Portsmouth but I don't remember the details.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom