1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Any Harley Guys on here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by abond2014, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

Like I said before Arc Audio is good to go. What kind of components are you using? Are you just going to power them off the head unit? I would set yourself up with at minimum a four channel amp to run the fronts and the lids. You want room to expand. At that point you might as well just change out the front speakers, because, to be honest, at highway speed‘s with exhaust etc. you’re mostly hearing the fronts.
    Make sure they use quick disconnects on the lid harnesses so you can take the bags off! Not sure what amp you’re using, but you might need line levelers. Bike Tronics makes easy connect harnesses specifically for HD. You also will probably need to take your bike to HD to have them turn on the rear speakers.
    Check out the HD forums and streetglide.com. There are tons of threads that I found useful before installing my audio system myself.

abond2014 likes this.

2. abond2014

abond2014 NES Member

So Its going to be a full arc audio setup up, there amp, the 6.5s up front and 6x9s in the bags. Definitely will need the line levelers I’m intending on use using the factory head unit. To be honest I don’t know exactly which items, let me give them a call in the morning to get an idea for you, then I’ll get back to you with the exact breakdown tomorrow.

3. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

Sounds good. I’m running the stock head unit as well. Not trying to overwhelm you but I just have the stuff fresh in my mind because I just went through it. You have some pros doing it so you should be good to go. Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Right now I’m about to install a SENA FreeWire and seven pin din connector so that I can utilize the boom Bluetooth features with my Sena 20S headset. If you haven’t found out already, you won’t be able to utilize call answering with your bikes Bluetooth unless you do some mods.

4. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

Lol. Awesome. I’ve seen you and your dog.

5. mannydog

mannydog NES Member

Road King.jpg
    I like the Road Glide a lot. I went from a 2015 Road King to the Road Glide. Idles with a lot less vibration than the 103 engine. I have it garaged in Florida and have around 2 k miles on it. I get down to FL once or twice a month usually for 5 days at a time so I been able to ride this winter. Had a minor oil leak from one of the heads after about 1700 miles.

I'm riding it cross-country in May, I figure a 4 - 5 week trip.

here's my, well formerly-mine, Road King.

gasaman and abond2014 like this.
  6. abond2014

abond2014 NES Member

Hope you love your Road Glide that is a sweet machine!

7. abond2014

abond2014 NES Member

Got the 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special in for some upgrades! Here are a couple pictures I had sent to me

Attached Files:

gasaman and Canndo like this.
  8. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

How’d you make out? Dyno?

9. swampy

swampy NES Member

Is Sheldon's HOG chapter still doing their old style rides...ride 15 miles to the dealer, wait 90+ minutes for people to show up, spend 20 minutes organizing, ride 3 miles down the road for ice cream, then told, "Thanks for coming, don't forget next week's ride."

10. swampy

swampy NES Member

I have an 04 fatboy. I want to know why I can buy a $7 toaster at walmart, use it for 5 years til it breaks, toss it out in the back yard for 5 more years and it'll wipe clean and shine like brand new, yet, I ride 120 miles in a torrential downpours and the next day the chrome on my Harley is rusted and starting to pit?

cams and EddieA like this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney NES Member

Because the toaster is made from stainless steel and the chrome was applied poorly. Chrome, itself, doesn't rust but, if the steel beneath is exposed it will rust and stain the chrome.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  12. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

Stop putting ghey chrome on your bike?

13. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

005B51C8-731B-4484-A6EE-5F3F2183A2A4.jpeg

Yeah, everybody knows you just buy the aluminum, and have your scantily clad house mouse polish the bike for 4 hrs
    After every ride.[rofl]

gasaman and Canndo like this.
  14. ipscdrl

ipscdrl NES Member

No. We usually meet at Sheldon's so ride there from wherever. I believe you are in Millbury so quick trip. Then off to wherever the organizer has decided and mapped out. I went on several this past season that were pretty much all day rides. I currently organizing one for May that will have one of my gun clubs as the destination so we can do some shooting. I have only been a member for a couple of years but I understand that the group hs changed a lot from what it was a few years ago.

15. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

is it just me or has it been snowing and cold constantly since this thread started?

16. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

It's just you.

upload_2018-3-23_14-42-19.png

17. ipscdrl

ipscdrl NES Member

Ya, rub it in Allen.

Sheldon's HD is having an Easter basket filling for kids today along with the annual Safety Saturday event. Come see me and I'll tell you all about helmets. [smile]

18. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

I had a really brutal couple of weeks at work. So yesterday instead of shooting an IDPA match at my local club, which would have meant showing up at 7, setting up, SO'ing, helping admin, tearing down and basically working the match -- I took a break. There was a USPSA match at a club an hour south from here. I know a couple of the guys that shoot there, but I'd never been there. Loaded my gear into my T-Bag, bungied a knapsack on to carry my ammo, water, etc around with me while I was there, and went.

Nice ride down, little chilly, but not bad. Great day shooting - six stages and I shot well. (well for me, that is. I've been rushing my shots lately, missing too many. yesterday I had 84 A, 4 B, 20 C, 6 D and 4 M. Not going to win any awards, but I'm not unhappy). Ride home was nice - yeah - it was warm.

Edited - Actually it was 5 misses, and 2 of those misses were because I overlooked a target. Duh. Blew right past a target that was "hiding" behind a barrel. Got a procedural for it too.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  19. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

OP? Cam and audio results?

20. M60

M60 NES Member

That pup is to cute on your bike.

21. robjax

robjax NES Member

Just a blast from the past. I found this old picture of my 1978 AMF Harley Davidson 175 SX.

I was only 15 so it had to be delivered and it was in that El Camino behind it. The kid I bought it from also owned that car...I never owned that car but I wish I had both that bike and that car today.

[​IMG]

enbloc and gasaman like this.
  22. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

Cool,

In 77 I had the 250 , broke the transmission 3 times doing wheelies from a dead stop.

It had a carb made in Italy, a del ortro I think.

robjax likes this.
  23. robjax

robjax NES Member

I never broke anything on mine until I was side swiped at the corner of St. Alphonsus and Tremont streets on December 7th 1979 by a guy driving a brown Ford Ranchero. He took off. Nobody got the plate number or even admitted to seeing anything. I couldn't hang around for very long. The foot peg went into my leg above my boot and through my jeans. There was blood everywhere. I got 37 stitches. This dude and his girlfriend and dog drove up and saw me and stopped to help. The guy picked up the extra parts on the ground and tossed them in his van. He drove the bike to my house and then they dropped me at the hospital. Nice people for taking the time.

cams and W.E.C like this.
  24. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

I took a dump on the trolly tracks in J.P. that winter, tried to turn on the wet track and slid down the rail,

Cars kept going by on both sides, never stopped, I had to pick up the pieces and get off the street fast before someone ran me over when I was down.

Ahh, good times.

cams and robjax like this.
  25. robjax

robjax NES Member

So I guess I was lucky that someone stopped for me...lol. Yeah, the tracks were fun to navigate. If this happened to us today we could tell our stories on social media and open up gofunme pages and make some money on the deal....lol

W.E.C likes this.
  26. ipscdrl

ipscdrl NES Member

Ah yes, the AMF "spaghetti" Harley's. My very first bike was a 125cc version that looked a lot like yours.
    Oil injected 2-stroke. I had a TON of fun on that bike.

robjax likes this.
  27. cams

cams NES Member

F665738B-4DFF-4ED3-B78B-C3C550F3C45F.jpeg

‘99 Night Train. Needs some cosmetic done now, pitted chrome, just pulled off the front end and getting it powder coated, guy in RI, good price too. Looking forward to some sun.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    M60 and gasaman like this.
  28. MP-In-The-Wind

MP-In-The-Wind NES Member

Hi Mike....my SO and myself used to ride with Worcester HOG a while ago...maybe we have to join back up if you're the RC! :)

29. robjax

robjax NES Member

yup....that was a fun bike. A good first bike to have. A buddy of mine had a Kawasaki 100. He was mr. cool on his endure. He was pissed when I bought that. lol

I had no choice but to get it. I looked in the Want Ad and my father took the book with him to work and showed the bikes I circled to a buddy of his that he worked with. Well this guy was Harley guy so he looked through the book and found that and that was the end of the search. He went with us to look at the bike and he test drove it. Said yup..good bike so I bought it. lol

30. ipscdrl

ipscdrl NES Member

Yes, we would be happy to have you. The HOG group is a great bunch of folks and we do lots of good rides.

Today was our annual "Ice Breaker" ride. 96 bikes and over 130 people participated in a brisk ride from Sheldon's to the Village Haven restaurant for family style chicken dinner. Good times. [thumbsup]