Any gunsmiths that can repair a J Frame sight?

Pants

NES Member
Soooo...had a little accident this weekend. I went to re-holster my 642 and missed the holster and it hit the floor. Now I have a good size gouge in my front sight. I could call S&W to deal with this, but figured there may be someone in the area who can repair it. Then I came across this Midway video on YouTube. This wouldn't be a bad option - but I wouldn't attempt it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RZvGFHZxeE

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Agreed, but that won't fix the gouge. If it's filed down enough for the insert, that will get rid of the gouge.

So your carry gun lost its virginity… I suppose new scratches will hurt a lot less after this.

You could drop it in the driveway and kick it through the gravel just to get it over with.

Haha I know. I don't mind a couple scratches - but this looks ugly! Good point though!

Soooo...had a little accident this weekend. I went to re-holster my 642 and missed the holster and it hit the floor. Now I have a good size gouge in my front sight. I could call S&W to deal with this, but figured there may be someone in the area who can repair it. Then I came across this Midway video on YouTube. This wouldn't be a bad option - but I wouldn't attempt it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RZvGFHZxeE

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Over the years, I have done a lot of sight inserts. I did one on a J frame and it was the most difficult I ever did. The blade is too narrow and you have to drill 2 indents into the dove tail after it is cut to hold the sight. even then, it lasted a year before I had to re do it.

Its a 642. Its not a safe queen. Unless the sight fell off/broke I'm having a hard time seeing what needs to be fixed.

Its a 642. Its not a safe queen. Unless the sight fell off/broke I'm having a hard time seeing what needs to be fixed.

Ha, I know - I know! Damn thing was practically brand new. I'm sure it's going to get more banged up over the years.

you mean the "front sight" [laugh]

In all seriousness, I'm with Mike on this one. J-Frames are not target guns. They're belly guns. Sand down any sharp edges, and if its a carbon steel gun, make sure there's either bluing or paint on any newly bare metal.

Over the years, I have done a lot of sight inserts. I did one on a J frame and it was the most difficult I ever did. The blade is too narrow and you have to drill 2 indents into the dove tail after it is cut to hold the sight. even then, it lasted a year before I had to re do it.

That's what I figured! I'm going sand down the sharp edges and then uses some redish paint.

- - - Updated - - -

you mean the "front sight" [laugh]

In all seriousness, I'm with Mike on this one. J-Frames are not target guns. They're belly guns. Sand down any sharp edges, and if its a carbon steel gun, make sure there's either bluing or paint on any newly bare metal.

Roger that! Yeah, this is my dime a dozen 642. I'm just going sand down the sharp edges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom