• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any good public rifle ranges near Boston?

Hey NES,

I recently got my LTC and built a 16" .308 Garand Tanker on a pitted receiver from junk parts. I also loaded some ammo for it over the weekend, but haven't had a chance to try the rifle or the load because I haven't joined a range yet. I think the new member fees and the wait times around here are outrageous!

Does anybody know of a public range near Boston where I could try out my new Tanker and the ammo I've made? I've heard of Original Bob's, but am not sure if they allow full power rifles. For some reason I think they only allow pistol calibers.

Thanks,

Steve

Bob's allows rifles on Wednesday nights, though I think only around AR/AK caliber and not much bigger. I'm pretty sure that's about it as far as public ranges go in MA, you'll either have to join a club or head up to NH if you want something better.

shooting a rifle indoors is just depressing. but i had to do so, would be at Manchester Firing Line. if I recall they won't let you shoot steel core or bi-metal...basically anything magnetic they will say no.

Hey NES,

I recently got my LTC and built a 16" .308 Garand Tanker on a pitted receiver from junk parts. I also loaded some ammo for it over the weekend, but haven't had a chance to try the rifle or the load because I haven't joined a range yet. I think the new member fees and the wait times around here are outrageous!

Does anybody know of a public range near Boston where I could try out my new Tanker and the ammo I've made? I've heard of Original Bob's, but am not sure if they allow full power rifles. For some reason I think they only allow pistol calibers.

Thanks,

Steve
don't know what you consider "near" boston but hanson rod and gun club has CMP shoot 1st sat and 3rd sunday each month. 5$ for targets and shoot as much or as little as you want with in the course of fire.

Granite state in hudson nh allows up to .308

I've shot there once, I'll probably just head back up.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

shooting a rifle indoors is just depressing. but i had to do so, would be at Manchester Firing Line. if I recall they won't let you shoot steel core or bi-metal...basically anything magnetic they will say no.

Agree... I'll just be sighting it in and setting the gas plug though, so anything should work!

Steve

There are no real "public" ranges (except Martin Burns). If you want to shoot, bite the proverbial bullet and join a club. Compared with range rentals, you'll come out ahead.

Yeah, I'm just planning to join the National Guard in Jan or Feb and I'll probably be gone for about 6 months by the time I actually have a membership... I'll join a club eventually, just need somewhere to go in the meantime.

I haven't been to Martin Burns in Byfield in about 20 years, but that is one of the first places I enjoyed shooting for hours on end. Not sure what it is like now.

I haven't been to Martin Burns in Byfield in about 20 years, but that is one of the first places I enjoyed shooting for hours on end. Not sure what it is like now.

I went a few weeks ago, hadn't been in a couple of years. They are down to one bench and the range is full of trash.
I went and looked at the skeet shooting area and it is all over grown. It is closed for the season now.

Hey NES,

Thanks,

Steve

how abut some pics of the tanker!

Wait time about a week and only 1000 yard range in the area.

granby bow and gun club.

The director of Rifle is a NES member, I didn't meet him in person yet, but Emailed back and forth a few times and seems like a great/easy going guy.

You do have to qualify for the 1000 yards, but you can shoot up to 350 without qualifying.

I've heard that the short Op Rod and Gas system can be a challenge to dial in, but you'll probably have fun doing it! Good luck with your homegrown Tanker! Get some pics up!

I've heard that the short Op Rod and Gas system can be a challenge to dial in, but you'll probably have fun doing it! Good luck with your homegrown Tanker! Get some pics up!

Unfortunately I can't take any credit for the op rod. It was cut and bent by Tim at Shuff's Parkerizing. This is essentially just his Mini-G! The only credit I take is finding cheap parts, replacing the broken ones, finding some nice wood and reassembling it all.

I'll post some pictures if someone can point me to instructions on how to upload them!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom