Any full size gun safes that can be anchored to a wall?

For a few reasons, I can't anchor a safe to the floor in my basement but I can anchor one to the wall. They all seem to call for floor anchoring though.

Does anyone know of any that can be anchored to a wall? Alternatively, is there any reason not to drill holes in the back of the safe?

Last edited:
Paul, no idea. Don't recall seeing obvious holes in insulation of the back of the large safes.

Suggest calling Eastern Safe in Mendon and asking them which models might allow you to do this . . . or if there is any downside to drilling those holes yourself.

My SentrySafe (14 Gun) can be anchored to the wall. It has I believe two holes in the back.

I have the Dakota modular safe and even though I bolted it to the floor I also drilled a couple of holes through the back panel. Since it is modular and insulation is removable it was an easy task.

Thanks everyone.

Mark, I'll take a look at the Stack-ons.

I was thinking of a fireproof Sentry. I suppose drilling in the back of one would compromise the insulation a bit but if it's back up against concrete, it's less likely to burn there anyway.

Thanks everyone.

Mark, I'll take a look at the Stack-ons.

I was thinking of a fireproof Sentry. I suppose drilling in the back of one would compromise the insulation a bit but if it's back up against concrete, it's less likely to burn there anyway.

The 24-gun is fire resistant - don't quote me, but I think: 70-minutes at 1700-degrees and 2-feet of water for 72 hours...I also think the mounting package comes with lag bolts with insulated/waterproof washers...

Last edited:
The 24-gun is fire resistant - don't quote me, but I think: 70-minutes at 1700-degrees and 2-feet of water for 72 hours...I also think the mounting package comes with lag bolts with insulated/waterproof washers...

this is the safe i have.

IIRC it's a 28gun (not 24)...although i dont see how anyone would ever fit 24 longguns in there comfortably.

it's predrilled to anchor to the floor. there are no pre-drilled holes in the back to anchor it to the wall. it's actually REQUIRED that it's bolted to the floor to maintain the waterproof rating (apparently the safe will float?)...my guess it's just to seal up those 2 holes in the bottom [laugh]

fire-rating is 1200*F for 30min (continuous), but the disclaimer says interior temps can reach upwards of 300*F (so they dont recommend it for storing electronics). water rating is 2feet for 72hours.

I too have a Sentry. Best of my recollection it can hold 14 long guns. I DO know that it was drilled for both the back and the bottom, as well as on the bottom side for what I presume is a goldenrod since that's what I'm using it for...

I needed to span the back of my closet with a 2x4 at the right height to match the holes in the safe, first. The way the safe fit in the closet it wasn't going to anchor to any studs. So instead, I anchored it through the back to the 2x4 that I first set in place. You'll need the back anchor once that door swings open, otherwise, tilt-game-over.

-ed

For a few reasons, I can't anchor a safe to the floor in my basement but I can anchor one to the wall. They all seem to call for floor anchoring though.

Does anyone know of any that can be anchored to a wall? Alternatively, is there any reason not to drill holes in the back of the safe?

If there's no insulation pocket/layer in the back of the safe you could do this with any safe... Don't see any reason not to, other than it being a pain
in the ass to line up the holes with your studs.

The small 10 gun Sentry I have, has holes in the back and bottom of the safe.

If your walls and floors aren't perfectly at angle with one another, you may have to shim up the bottom of the safe to get it to sit flat against the
wall. You might also have baseboard trim to deal with in your apartment, too. There are probably several different ways you can
deal with that problem, though.

-Mike

Last edited:
If there's no insulation pocket/layer in the back of the safe you could do this with any safe... Don't see any reason not to, other than it being a pain
in the ass to line up the holes with your studs.

The small 10 gun Sentry I have, has holes in the back and bottom of the safe.

If your walls and floors aren't perfectly at angle with one another, you may have to shim up the bottom of the safe to get it to sit flat against the
wall. You might also have baseboard trim to deal with in your apartment, too. There are probably several different ways you can
deal with that problem, though.

-Mike

I would actually be anchoring to the concrete walls in my basement. So, the anchors can go wherever needed and no worries about baseboard.

Also, I actually like the idea of having anchors at the top of the safe. Having it just anchored to the floor means leverage could be applied by pushing on the top of the safe.

Back
Top Bottom