• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any fellow Mosin Nagant 91/30 owners have this?

Hmm, I just bought one.

Seems non-permanent enough. I already have a scout scope and rings. One of my mosins has an awesome bore and I'd love to see what it can do with a scope at 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I have one. It was cheap enough and easy enough to install but finding a good scope with long enough eye relief has been a challenge. Putting the iron sites back on is kind of a challenge too.

B igr issue with scopes on mosin is even with a strap on comb riser you cant really get a decent cheak weld. Watch the video he's doing more of a chin weld. If you have any parrelax issues with your scope and you cant get nice and centered repeatable mount. You will be all over the target. Look at his targets. Doesn't seem to consistant with groups. I bet he would do just as well with irons. Also as stated finding the right long relief scope is not that easy. I never see long relief rifle scopes on the shelf locally. I ordered 3 under 250.00 . I didn't like any of them. I could not mount them far enough back to get a full veiw. If I where to do it again I would get a red dot with smallest moa dot. I used the s&k scope mount. Installed easy and also came with extra pins and set screw if you wanted to add extra stability. It was a nice mount.

Nice. Let me know if it's worth it or not. I may have to get one myself.

I'll give it a shot. I have two 91/30s so I'd like an excuse to shoot both each trip out.

I already have a LER and scope rings do if the setup isn't tgat good I'll just EBay the whole setup.

Well it came in, and took a couple mins to assemble.

I put it on my '26 ex-dragoon, which only required removing the two lower sight pins, so I consider it to not permanently modify the rifle. I chose the '26 vs my '38 Tula because the bore and trigger are great! Also, I assembled this rifle from a barreled action and spare parts, so nothing on it is really historical. My '38 was a crate-unpacked refurb.

Quick bore sight shows its close. Now to go zero it in one day next week.

4c7f8cf1-f12a-6e7b.jpg

4c7f8cf1-f138-7e7c.jpg

It's a cheap ncstar 2-7x scope I already have. Figure I test it out and see if I like it before spending cash on a better scope.

I have been contemplating getting one of those ramp sight rail mounting kits but wasn't sure how they would work. Looks pretty good to me. Thanks for posting.

I mounted a scout scope on one of mine. I went the route of just taking off the rear sight block and replacing it with a pair of scope rings.

If you drift out the pins holding the rear sight block, and slide off the RSB, you are left with a 3/8" dovetail. You can get a pair of scope rings that fit a 3/8" dovetail for under $10. I can't remember if I got mine from CTD or Ebay.

Then I mounted a long eye relief scope that I got for about $30.

I've probably fired about 100 rounds with it after zeroing the scope, and it has held zero perfectly.

Edit:

I posted some pics of my setup in this thread, post #9:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ions-or-know-how?highlight=mosin+nagant+scope

Last edited:
I mounted a scout scope on one of mine. I went the route of just taking off the rear sight block and replacing it with a pair of scope rings.

If you drift out the pins holding the rear sight block, and slide off the RSB, you are left with a 3/8" dovetail. You can get a pair of scope rings that fit a 3/8" dovetail for under $10. I can't remember if I got mine from CTD or Ebay.

Then I mounted a long eye relief scope that I got for about $30.

I've probably fired about 100 rounds with it after zeroing the scope, and it has held zero perfectly.

Edit:

I posted some pics of my setup in this thread, post #9:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ions-or-know-how?highlight=mosin+nagant+scope

I actually tried to do that, but the rear sight on mine must be soldered because I couldnt get it to budge without potential damage. So I never attempted to try any more.

This setup was just very easy and only required drifting the pins.

They include a drift, a drill bit (to enlarge holes which I didn't do) and an Allen wrench. It's pretty well made too....not flimsy at all.

Figure you guys would want to see a few close ups.

And not that matters, but I can still adjust the iron sight to 200m..if needed.

4c7f8cf1-3ca0-e7e5.jpg

4c7f8cf1-3cab-5145.jpg

4c7f8cf1-3d46-a18c.jpg

And looks like they just started selling an m38/m44 mount too. I wont be getting it though. My m44 is just for making fireballs...I rarely aim it ;-)

4c7f8cf1-40c2-b009.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great. It gives you a lot more flexibility than my mount. I don't think I can move my scope more than 1/8" front to back.

Good luck.

I would need to add about 4" to the comb just to get up to level with the scope......

A system which I have used and is very easy and expensive is a 22caliber/air rifle single rail mount with rings. You can buy them for 30 bucks or under. You remove the rear sight by removing the pins tap it forward and you have a perfect mounting base just like a 22 rife has. This places the scope lower to the receiver and allows perfect check weld. If you noticed when he is shooting with either of his mounts his check is hardly resting on the stock.
The mount he is using is a modified version of the old B Square which was pure junk. Looks like somebody did some modifications and came up with a newer version which uses pins instead of those tiny hex screws that the B square used.

If you check out my post on my Mosin project you can see the mount I used. Let us know how you like this mount .

One piece of advise if you buy a cheap pistol scope it will fall apart from the recoil. Weaver and Simmons make scopes that can take it and wont break the bank. I have a couple Burris on mine but they aint cheap.

Figure you guys would want to see a few close ups.

And not that matters, but I can still adjust the iron sight to 200m..if needed.

4c7f8cf1-3ca0-e7e5.jpg

4c7f8cf1-3cab-5145.jpg

4c7f8cf1-3d46-a18c.jpg

And looks like they just started selling an m38/m44 mount too. I wont be getting it though. My m44 is just for making fireballs...I rarely aim it ;-)

4c7f8cf1-40c2-b009.jpg

Oh my God [shocked] Can you take pictures of the receiver and post them? Very interesting looking markings!!! A rifle you may want to keep original. From what I can see that rifle was made at the USSR ( "Premier Tula Arsenal" used after 1919!) Also the double "C" markings have me stumped. In my collectors book it shows a single C as Sestroryetsk parts mark.

Last edited:
Oh my God [shocked] Can you take pictures of the receiver and post them? Very interesting looking markings!!! A rifle you may want to keep original. From what I can see that rifle was made at the USSR ( "Premier Tula Arsenal" used after 1919!) Also the double "C" markings have me stumped. In my collectors book it shows a single C as Sestroryetsk parts mark.

Normally i would agree 100%, but in this case, i think this rifle is an exception.

It's a 1926 Izhevsk Ex-dragoon. I bought this rifle as a barreled receiver only. There was nothing else with it. No sights, no extractor or anything. I think I paid $15 for it. The bore was incredible, and is the best of my 3 mosins. I assembled the rifle using parts I either had laying around, or traded/bought for, and I've spent a little extra to get mostly Izhevsk bow-and-arrow marked parts which would be correct for it. The rear sight was actually put on by myself, and i was lacking the pins for it. So to install the scope mount i just bolted it through the pin holes which were already vacant. So there really is nothing original on this rifle at all, other than the receiver/barrel combo. That's why it doesn't really bother me to put the scope on this rifle. The barrel is amazing and i did some parts swapping to put an amazing trigger (finnish sear) on this rifle.

The CC mark is really an OO mark. According to 7.62x54.net, it's an accuracy proof that replaced the concentric OO for a short time in the 20's. It's shown on this page a little more than halfway down

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

I have a 1938 Tula 91/30 and 1944 Izhevsk M44 that came fresh from the crate in cosmo...i would never modify those at all.

4c7f8cf1-d346-b380.jpg
4c7f8cf1-d354-6727.jpg
4c7f8cf1-d38d-636f.jpg

A coupe pics. It's the rifle on far right. The middle one is my Tula with a gorgeous stock

Ahh now I can see the markings. Nice receiver markings and especially if it has a nice bore as you said you should get some impressive groups out of it.

Happy shooting!

I'll have to give you guys a range report next week. My one free afternoon this week will be spent taking a coworker to the range. So I'll be bringing my m44, the other 91/30 and AR-15 for him to play with. Next week I'll get some alone time and take my scoped mosin and report back

Well, finally got to try it out. Mount works well. Blasted about 100 shots so far and seemed to hold well.

My scope sucks. Only a 7x, so tough to get precise on targets. I need to upgrade.

Shooting it is not really all that cozy. You make sort of a chin weld that's awkward. It works and I'm able to easily blast Clays at 100 yards, but to be honest, if I didn't already have another 91/30 I'd take the setup off. I'd rather scope a modern rifle or my AR-15. I'll keep it just to give me an excuse to shoot both my 91/30s (to which if rather shoot my m44 instead)

Last edited:
Went out one more time. Figured out I used the scope incorrectly. Got a laser bore sight and zeroed the scope in and then took a few shots

47c046da-40e7-575d.jpg

First group of 4 shots was low. Made an adjustement and as you can see, pretty good results. This was at 100 yards. Not bad at all. I like it.

The position to shoot is still awkward. Not a fan, prob won't shoot it much really

Back
Top Bottom