1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Any experiences with a 2.8L Duramax

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gulfmp, Jul 24, 2016.

1. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

Much to my pleasant surprise my wife decided she wants a pick up truck.

We drove a Colorado 2.8 Duramax and she loved it. My problem with it is its a new motor without a track record, and only has a 60,000 mile warranty, instead of the the normal 100,000 6.6 Duramax warranty. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this motor?

Her other leading contender is a new Toyota Tacoma.

2. JoeyD

JoeyD

It's not a new motor, just new for GM North American market. The only issues I see with any new diesel is the emissions crap.

3. hbar26

hbar26 NES Member

No experience with that engine. The conventional wisdom is, never buy a new automobile the first couple of years, after it's debut. Give them time to, hopefully, work out the bugs.

4. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

I thought I read somewhere that this was a entirely new motor. The one GM uses overseas is a 2.5L, not a 2.8, that this motor was a new design for the state only.

5. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

6. NHAtHeart

NHAtHeart NES Member

Can't comment on the 2.8L but if she decides on the Tacoma I don't think she'll go wrong. I've had both a Tacoma and a Tundra and been very happy with both.

My brother-in-law has whatever the pre-cursor to the Colorado was with the gas engine and it's been falling apart on him. Then again the Tacoma's from the same time period needed new frames so take that for what it's worth...

7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

given the track record of new emissions diesel engines in the past decade, I would steer clear of a first year engine if it is in fact a different engine than overseas. Unfortunately, the emissions crap really chokes the fuel economy on them too.

A friend of mine has switched most of his 1 ton tow trucks and ramp trucks to V-10 gas engines because the added diesel engine cost is like 10K, and then when you factor in the huge savings on maintenance compared to the only slightly better fuel economy for the diesel, it made better financial sense for his application. He also is far less likely to have another truck that sits in the dealership for a total of three months over a relatively short time of ownership while he not only loses revenue from it, but has to make payments on it too.

8. Lowbird

Lowbird NES Member

From my standpoint. If a new Colorado costs the same as it's 3 year old full size brother. Why not go with an LML?
    I know it's for the Mrs. But seems it could have a better resale. Also the 13 and newer LML units seem to have figured out the def pump failures.

Yes, I'm looking at a 13 LML on Tuesday so I'm biased. [smile]

9. tysdad115

tysdad115

Hoping to find a fat girl to slurp my eel
    We've sold a lot of new GMC Canyons. The owners love them. We did sell one diesel and that customer loves the truck also.

10. tysdad115

tysdad115

Hoping to find a fat girl to slurp my eel
    Also the power train warranty was reduced on all 16+ up models. 5 years/60K miles power train, standard 3 year /36K miles bumper to bumper.