• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any experienced hunters in the Boston area willing to show a newbie the ropes?

Today I finally completed the mandatory hunter's safety course and bought my very first hunting license! I'm 100% committed to doing this, but there's just one small problem - nobody I know in Mass hunts. Reading around online, it seems that everybody else learned to hunt with dad when they were 10, so I'm unfortunately 15 years late for that option.

Seeing as how I've never done this before, I'm a bit hesitant to just strap on a pair of waders and wander into the woods with a loaded shotgun. I've been looking into guided duck hunts and game preserves, but given the cost I'd only be able to afford to go out a couple times, plus I think that it would be less of a learning experience than a luxury.

So if there are any seasoned hunters out there in the Boston area willing to pass on some knowledge to a eager newbie, I'd love to buy them a beer and introduce myself!

What are you looking to hunt? ducks, geese, turkey, small game, upland game, deer?

Cerfur put together a good basic guide to MA hunting a couple of years ago, the thread is worth a read. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-in-Massachusetts-from-Cerfur?highlight=guide

I'm not really 'near boston' so hopefully someone close will take you up on your offer to carry their gear in and out of the woods for the coming season.

To the OP, SPEND TIME IN THE WOODS! You will NOT learn ANYTHING unless you do. You don't need anything but your own motivation to get out there, so get going.

And not, not twenty minutes or an hour at your local dog walking spot. Make the trip into some big woods and spend a full day, you'll be surprised how much you observe just by being there.

Or, it may just not be for you. Sounds like everyone you know is a yuppie.

Loaded shotgun?!?!?! oh my god not that! --> you'll need to get over this first.

Last edited:
Or, it may just not be for you. Sounds like everyone you know is a yuppie.

Then we should be working to encourage his attempt at becoming a woodsman and a fellow sportsman, not steering him away from it. [wink]

I honestly don't even know where you would go hunting near Boston. I don't spend any time there. I live on the Cape and that's where most of my hunting time is spent.

First off figure out what type of game you are most interested in hunting. Waterfowl is probably the easiest for a beginner, in my opinion.

Oh and change that screen name, OP! [laugh]

Last edited:
I have a BIL in Dedham. He used to go to the cape and hunt down there. Now he goes out to the Berkshires.

OP, if you are female, the becoming an outdoors woman (BOW) program has a deer hunting seminar and guided hunt in the fall and a turkey seminar/hunt in the spring. men may attend the seminars but not the hunts.
i know the state put on co-ed turkey hunting seminars this past spring and if you go back through the hunting subforum you will find the threads and useful links within them. IIRC, a few of the guys here signed up.
side note....i can't say enough about how awesome the volunteers that do the BOW programs are. if you decide to check one out i bet you could meet a guide who would be willing to show you the ropes.

Ping me when waterfowl season is upon us. I don't mind taking another person or two out. I am usually hunting in the central or metro west areas so it's not that far for you. You'll just need gun, ammo, appropriate licenses and waders. I have the rest.

a little late but i got an email from mass fish and game about a learn to deer hunt program. deadline to apply is today (12th) contact info is as follows:

For more information about the Learn to Hunt Deer Programs, please contact Emily Callahan at [email protected] or at 508-389-6308

Back
Top Bottom