• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any experience with Sudbury MA? Just moved and have LTC-A ALP renewal this year.

Curious to see if anyone has experience with Sudbury, MA. I have an LTC-A ALP issued by a green town that expires later this year and I see it is listed as a red town. Application requires 3 letters of reference, birth certificate and proof of residency beyond the regular stuff.

If anyone has experience please PM me or post.

Also would be interested in thoughts on from whom to get the best set of letters of recommendation - do you think it matters if it is from a town selectman or state rep or anything like that?

Thanks,
The Citizen Formerly Known as Boltonguy

Any experience with the town? Other than that the residents trip over their feet because their noses are so far in the air, and their cops "don't give out warnings" (that's a direct quote from one Sudbury cop back in around '89 or so), and the little fact that it's illegal to discharge an air pistol in the town... no.

Why would you want to move there?

Schools. I have a 2 yo and a 4 yo and we have moved for the schools. Cheaper to spend bucks to buy a home here than to burn money on a private school. Plus we now have a house in a neighborhood with no through traffic full of kids, compared to living on a rural country road with no other kids and speeding cars.

Plus we now have a house in a neighborhood with no through traffic full of kids, compared to living on a rural country road with no other kids and speeding cars.

[rofl] Now, THAT's funny. My commute is through Sudbury every day, and there are a LOT of "back roads" that see a ton of traffic mornings and afternoons.

Welcome to the area, anyway. Two good restaurants in Sudbury: Longfellow's Wayside Inn and Lotus Blossom for Chinese food. Both on or right off of Rt 20.

Schools. I have a 2 yo and a 4 yo and we have moved for the schools. Cheaper to spend bucks to buy a home here than to burn money on a private school. Plus we now have a house in a neighborhood with no through traffic full of kids, compared to living on a rural country road with no other kids and speeding cars.

Should have moved one town north to Harvard. Better schools and oh so green...

I live in Sudbury and haven't had any issues with the CoP (Lt. Nix). The previous CoP (Peter something) was notorious for his anti-2A standing. But Lt Nix seems to be very level headed. Yes, town by-laws prohibit the discharge of "air or explosive" powered devices. But as I understand it, those laws have existed for years.

Aloha

. Harvard is about 30 minutes away from Sudbury. I isn't one town over.

Wayland is one town over and it is green.

Check out the OP name. Bolton. Harvard is one town over from Bolton... My assumption is he moved from Bolton to Sudbury. Could have moved one town over, from Bolton...

Did I get Bolton in their enough to make my point? :) :)

Check out the OP name. Bolton. Harvard is one town over from Bolton... My assumption is he moved from Bolton to Sudbury. Could have moved one town over, from Bolton...

Did I get Bolton in their enough to make my point? :) :)

If he's moving all the way from Bolton to Sudbury, there is most likely a reason for his moving to that area -- a reason which precludes staying near Bolton.

Moving further west was most definitely not an option with mrs boltonguy. The level of services in and around Harvard and Sudbury differ dramatically. Plus my kids are at the LEAP school in Sudbury for preschool and we go to the Thoreau Club in Concord so Harvard would have substantially increased the time we spend in the car. we're very happy with our move and hopefully my gin rights won't be adversely impacted as a result.

hopefully my gin rights won't be adversely impacted as a result.
Well, McKinnon's just closed so all we've got in town in Krappy's. Though, Sudbury Wine (new place across from the PD) might have some good gin...if there is such a thing.
I'll also through my support for the Lotus Blossom. Best Chinese I've had in while. The Sushi bar is top-notch too. :D The last time I was in, the octopus was fresh and wonderful!
Aloha

My wife and I are also considering a move to Sudbury. It's a nice town. I'm wondering what the current climate there is with the Chief regarding ALP renewals. I know all the surrounding towns are green: Wayland, Lincoln, Concord, etc.

Under a previous chief, the town was definitely red. Heck that chief wanted to take the PD back to revolvers. The current chief is more 2A friendly. The licensing officer will tell you that he usually issues LTC A restricted to first time applicants, but I know three people who have been told that but were issued unrestricted. I don't think you'd have a problem with a renewal.
Aloha

That's good news! Thanks, alohadoug! My renewal would not be for a few years, but if we buy a home there we will probably stay put for at least 5+ years.

Being in a green town is important to me...unfortunately the wife could care less about it. We compromised on an area/selection of towns to look for a home in that included such green places as Concord, Lincoln, Wayland, etc., so I thought the odds were in my favor; but the homes that keep popping up that fit out budget and needs are all in Sudbury--which is a really nice town! The only issue I have with it is the anti-2A label.

Thanks to all who responded.

Under a previous chief, the town was definitely red. Heck that chief wanted to take the PD back to revolvers. The current chief is more 2A friendly. The licensing officer will tell you that he usually issues LTC A restricted to first time applicants, but I know three people who have been told that but were issued unrestricted. I don't think you'd have a problem with a renewal.
Aloha

I was curious about this as well. I applied about a month ago and was told the same, that I would likely be issued a restricted license and that after a year I could write a letter to the Chief and have the restrictions lifted. This is my first time being licensed, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I guess I'll have to wait and see

I certainly will. Thanks for the info

Is it unusual that my check hasn't been deposited yet? I figured they would do that fairly early

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom