Any experience with Harbor Freight Spotting scope?

I have one of those. Used a 20% off coupon. The price is right, but keep in mind you get what you pay for. With it I can see .223 holes at 100 yards just fine.

For what it's worth, anything I ever got (and for some reason I just keep on trying) from Harbor Freight was a POS. Spend a few bucks more and I'm sure you'll find something twice as good.

I'd go down there and take one out of the box. They don't seem to mind people handling stuff. I've ( my company ) has probably spent $1,000.00 there in the last month. I was actually the last customer of the night on Thursday & Friday. The hand tools, jacks, clamps, straps etc aren't too bad. The power tools look iffy, although I've been told by some people that they lasted longer than they thought. The lathes, welders, cement mixers etc look pretty choochie ( that's a North Shore Italian American term for real crap ). I bet the Spotting Scope fits in this category. Still, doesn't hurt to look. They're in the former Circut City building, Rt. 1 South in Danvers across the highway from Costco.

I think someone on this board made the following tagline for Harbor Freight: "Tools made to Last a Lunchtime"

That said, I bought a hexagon shaped landscape bar from them figuring it was pretty tough to screw up a steel bar....money well spent.

I took that spotting scope out of its box and tried it on a bolt head across the building and its pretty much a POS....save your $$$.

HF has it's uses. Sometime I do need a disposable tool or a tool part. I'd seen HF hammers that were bent, yet I do have HF lathe/mill combo that I probably used for 5 years, close to every week and damn thing does not die (wood <= knock, knock) Crap, it's the same machine that Red Jacket has in their shop so you know that's a quality tool [laugh]

I found a nice spotting scope at Cabella's Discount cave. It was $50, similar to that. I bet they are all made at the same factory. Now a days, $50 is not what it used to be, thanks to inflation.

Best scope for the money is the Celestron Ultima 80. seeing. 223 holes at 200 yards has never been an issue.

Last edited:
I avoid that store like the plague Unless it's a total emergency.
You'd be hard-pressed to find any American made product. Pittsburg China is their primary line.

Here you go guys, the Harbor Freight Pass/Fail Thread:
Pull up a chair and a beer, or 2/3.

The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread... - The Garage Journal Board

Brought to you by not gun nuts, but garage nuts, some gun nuts there too.

I tend to buy things from HF that do NOT have moving parts, the wrenches are ok for car storage spares, the dead blow hammers work just fine. Stuff like that.

I have a few 50$ generic scopes. They all seem to be by the same company. I have a mead,nikon and a ncstar and they look the same.....as mentioned what do you want for 50.00.
I can tell you that tripod is junk. The little flip locks on the legs are just waiting to break...it also takes up a lot of space fully extended. All of them are actually pretty clear on 20x but get dark and focus quality drops off fast.
Eye relief really sucks on all these cheap scopes. I cant see through them with out lifting my glasses. You might to better hitting yardsales in the spring. I scored some decent japenese made camera tripods and a decent celestron scope last summer.

I have zero problems with harbor freight hand tools. I use screw drivers wire strippers and a few other things daily. The guys at work make fun of me, but when they break or lose their 20/25 dollar kleins I laugh. I've had the sane screw drivers for well over two years.

Back
Top Bottom