• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any experience w/Ruger Hawkeye Compact

My wife is thinking of buying one in 7mm-08 for hunting. She’s 5ft and liked the short LOP. My son has a similar sized gun the Ruger American compact in 243. It fit her well but she didn’t like the look of the plastic stock.

Anyone have any feedback?

My wife is thinking of buying one in 7mm-08 for hunting. She’s 5ft and liked the short LOP. My son has a similar sized gun the Ruger American compact in 243. It fit her well but she didn’t like the look of the plastic stock.

Anyone have any feedback?
My own wife, Jill, has an uncle who owned a Hawkeye in .308. The LC trigger is not that great. He traded it for a Savage AXIS .308 and did not look back. Jill's family are from Louisiana and wild hog hunting with .308 rifles is a popular sport.

My own wife, Jill, has an uncle who owned a Hawkeye in .308. The LC trigger is not that great. He traded it for a Savage AXIS .308 and did not look back. Jill's family are from Louisiana and wild hog hunting with .308 rifles is a popular sport.

She’ll be hunting boar with this gun. Let me see about trigger replacements. I’ll also look at the Savage as well.

I have a lot of experience with these little Rugers. I have them in 308 and 243. I like them a lot, light weight and accurate enough to put down critters. The LC triggers are OK for most folks they tend to be heavy for me. Update the trigger spring, maybe a little stoning and a little gun slick and you can get a decent trigger (3 lbs). Note I free float the barrel and bed the action too. I can get sub inch groups out of both the 308 and 243 with handloads @100 yards. Out of the box, expect 1.5 inch to 2 inch groups with factory fodder, still fine for hunting. I haven't gone out of state for deer hunting in a few years but I would not hesitate taking one of these for such a hunt. Again they carry real easy especially if there is a lot of walking involved.

I have a lot of experience with these little Rugers. I have them in 308 and 243. I like them a lot, light weight and accurate enough to put down critters. The LC triggers are OK for most folks they tend to be heavy for me. Update the trigger spring, maybe a little stoning and a little gun slick and you can get a decent trigger (3 lbs). Note I free float the barrel and bed the action too. I can get sub inch groups out of both the 308 and 243 with handloads @100 yards. Out of the box, expect 1.5 inch to 2 inch groups with factory fodder, still fine for hunting. I haven't gone out of state for deer hunting in a few years but I would not hesitate taking one of these for such a hunt. Again they carry real easy especially if there is a lot of walking involved.

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered one for her should arrive Wed.

So, just for my own curiosity/edification, why did she pick 7mm-08? It’s not like a widely available caliber, is it? Why not just do the .308? Or do you guys reload?

So, just for my own curiosity/edification, why did she pick 7mm-08? It’s not like a widely available caliber, is it? Why not just do the .308? Or do you guys reload?

She tried a 308 in an 18” barrel and didn’t love the recoils. Felt the 7 would be little milder. We reload so it doesn’t make a difference as far as availability.

She tried a 308 in an 18” barrel and didn’t love the recoils. Felt the 7 would be little milder. We reload so it doesn’t make a difference as far as availability.
From the snipers hide website. I've fired a 7mm that my cousin uses for deer in Arkansas. The recoil surprised me! Quite a smack.

Short answer recoil is computed using the entire ejecta mass, which mean bullet plus powder. The 7mm using a 150 gr bullet @2950 FPS will have felt recoil about 25% higher than a 308 win launching a 150 gr bullet @2950 fps due to the amount of powder used.

From the snipers hide website. I've fired a 7mm that my cousin uses for deer in Arkansas. The recoil surprised me! Quite a smack.

Short answer recoil is computed using the entire ejecta mass, which mean bullet plus powder. The 7mm using a 150 gr bullet @2950 FPS will have felt recoil about 25% higher than a 308 win launching a 150 gr bullet @2950 fps due to the amount of powder used.

Interesting. The data we had read was from 7mm-08 Rem vs .308 Win – Cartridge Comparison | Sniper Country which generally showed about 25% less recoil for the same projectile. Maybe we are reading the data wrong.

I owned a Hawkeye and found it very adequate. Nothing really bad to say. However for what you describe - the savage 111 lightweight hunter in 6.5 and .243 is a pretty nifty rig. Kinda want one myself.

Has she fired a 7mm yet?

I owned a Hawkeye and found it very adequate. Nothing really bad to say. However for what you describe - the savage 111 lightweight hunter in 6.5 and .243 is a pretty nifty rig. Kinda want one myself.

Has she fired a 7mm yet?

No she hasn’t. 6.5x55 yes which she liked. and 45-70 which she didn’t care for.

I know this is an old thread but a year into using the gun she is very happy with it. My youngest son ended up buying a Ruger American in 7mm-08. To be honest with the ammo shortage I'm glad we went with a "less used" cartridge as we've had no trouble finding ammo for this hunting season.

Back
Top Bottom