Any chance for getting approved for LTC in Worcester, MA for first timers?

I've been told the Worcester, MA chief almost always reduces to restricted use instead of LTC. My husband and I took a LTC class yesterday in another town and they pretty much told us either wait until we live in another town or be prepared to hire a lawyer to reverse the denial.

Anything we can do in the application process to better our chances? I run my own business performing in which my husband is an assistant for which I plan to LLC this year. Would mentioning that help our application at all? Or should we just hold off?

Every city/town is different. My neighbor has their own business, the chief only asked for a business card to prove it. Granted this was in Springfield. I'm sure one of the guys from Worcester can chime in.

Something to note; there is a difference between being restricted (target, sporting, hunting) and being denied outright.

Every city/town is different. My neighbor has their own business, the chief only asked for a business card to prove it. Granted this was in Springfield. I'm sure one of the guys from Worcester can chime in.

Something to note; there is a difference between being restricted (target, sporting, hunting) and being denied outright.

Thanks! I know that every town is different. I just know that the Worcester chief almost never issues a LTC unrestricted. So I'm trying to figure out my chances of doing this without having to fight for it.

Last edited:
I live in Worcester and I got my LTC unrestricted in 2015 when I first applied. I didn’t do anything special on my application. For training I did take the full 8 hour NRA certified course with Tombstone Trading in Brookfield which may have helped. In 2016 Worcester’s police chief changed so I don’t know if he’s been tougher than the previous chief.

Is the business also in Worcester? You can apply where you reside or where the business is located.

Is there more to the story? I only ask because you said denied, which is very different than issued with restrictions. If you just meant restricted, then you may just have to wait to get unrestricted.

FYI: You will get an LTC in Worcester. Its only the restrictions that may not be to your liking. But, in terms of nomenclature, regardless of the restrictions, the card is still an LTC (yeah, I know, but thats what they chose to call it, so it is what it is)

Thanks! I know that every town is different. I just know that the Worcester chief almost never issues a LTC unrestricted. So I'm trying to figure out my chances of doing this without having to fight for it.
Not true. I got an unrestricted LTC under the previous chief who liked having a reputation of not issuing unrestricted LTC’s and he even said it was not true.

but also don't give them something in which they can say "prove it" when you can't prove it.

Show up at the interview with $1000 in your pocket ?

There are very few businesses that don't use cash occasionally.

I told the License Officer (different city) that I often had large amounts of cash on hand that needed transport to the bank for deposit.

It was not a lie.

I DID carry a few grand to the bank, but not every day. Sometimes once a month.

Enough IMHO to justify protection.

The License Officer is unlikely to interrogate you.

If you are not comfortable telling the truth ...... then don't say this.

But honestly, very few of us are in business as "Armored Car" security guards !

And the Officer will understand that even a few hundred dollars may be big money to you.

It's just an additional argument that you should use if you honestly feel it applies.

Last edited:
All that is necessary is to say for, “All Lawful Purposes”.

That's a no no in a lot of department eyes. They don't like seeing it and some places, specifically the BPD, won't give a crap.

Your best bet if you feel you need to justify to the WPD LO your inherent right to self defense, is to go with the carrying cash to the bank argument. Money talks, and even antis get that occasionally. Just make sure you don't talk yourself into restrictions on your application, like saying you only want a license to go to the range occasionally. That's a guaranteed way to get restrictions in red and many yellow towns.

Also, as mentioned before, avoid the Gun Parlor. Other than the anti hit piece they helped the media run not long ago, they have that lovely agreement with the AG's office to share their 4473s. I still don't understand how the ATF hasn't slapped them and Healey silly for that.

I've been told the Worcester, MA chief almost always reduces to restricted

That was the former chief (Genme), but he backed off on the stance. Sergeant followed suit. I haven’t heard of any restrictions in the past few years.

If your only encounters with the police were asking for directions, you should be fine. If you have a criminal record, or if your name shows up on a police report, you may have a battle on your hands.

BTW, “sealed” records aren’t. .

Also, as mentioned before, avoid the Gun Parlor. Other than the anti hit piece they helped the media run not long ago, they have that lovely agreement with the AG's office to share their 4473s. I still don't understand how the ATF hasn't slapped them and Healey silly for that.
Wait, what?

Anyone who got a LTC in Worcester have any input? It would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: not sure what happened here, I posted this the same day and somehow when I opened the browser today it posted this. Sorry about that !

Last edited:
My business is as a performer so my home address is my business address. I not only get paid in cash at many gigs, but I'm also wearing circus costuming and makeup. So I get targeted by people in the street a lot in a harassment sort of way. Not sure if that helps clarify.

I'm well aware to steer clear of the gun parlour.

I'm happy to hear that the new chief is more lax. Hopefully there won't be any issues. Thanks everyone for the information!

Wait, what?

You missed that?

Gun parlor signed a consent decree enema agreement with the AG because they got caught playing games with CMR940 or something. Part of this agreement included a line item that specified that the AGs office will get copies of any 4473 processed by the shop from that point forward.... Of course they legally could not tell their customers this because the agreement had a built in gag order, only problem is the whole thing was filed in court (and as such, is quasi-public) and it was found and posted here at one point...

-Mike

That was the former chief (Genme), but he backed off on the stance. Sergeant followed suit. I haven’t heard of any restrictions in the past few years.

If your only encounters with the police were asking for directions, you should be fine. If you have a criminal record, or if your name shows up on a police report, you may have a battle on your hands.

BTW, “sealed” records aren’t. .

Biggest problem in Worcester for the longest time was that under Gemme they also would intentionally drag ass, for as hard and as long as they could, hoping the applicant would just go
away. It was intentional obstructionism at its finest.

-Mike

My business is as a performer so my home address is my business address. I not only get paid in cash at many gigs, but I'm also wearing circus costuming and makeup. So I get targeted by people in the street a lot in a harassment sort of way. Not sure if that helps clarify.

I'm well aware to steer clear of the gun parlour.

I'm happy to hear that the new chief is more lax. Hopefully there won't be any issues. Thanks everyone for the information!

I'm not sure I would use the clown gig as a reason to carry .... it may imply you're going to be carrying around a lot of children.

It's not a clown gig, I'm a professional fire performer and circus artist. This includes performing in bad areas, sometimes very late night such as for LED gigs at clubs.

Also, fun fact, I just found out the former chief is my landlord's father.

I think you should not carry a gun. Sounds like you draw too much attention to yourself as it is. If you got harrassed, what would you do, brandish?

I just left Worcester after almost 20 years there. OP, others here may disagree, but I think your info is out of date.... There was a dramatic change in the liscensing philosophy a few years ago even before Gemme retired. For a big democratic mob run city, Worcester gives a LOT of unrestricted LTCs now, including to first-timers.

I was told that there were a lot of people suing the city, including some who really had the means to fight and cost the city a lot of money and Gemme was told to stand down. Disclaimer: just what I was told, no first-hand knowledge.

I am not NES qualified or authorized to label a city "Green", but I think Worcester is the most Green big city in Mass right now.

Do you get along well with your landlord? Ask him if his father would put in a good word for you. A former CoP saying you're ok pretty much garentees a good outcome.

Back
Top Bottom