• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any central MA LTC courses?

skiro98

NES Member
A friend and his wife are looking to get their LTC.

Is there anywhere in Worcester or surrounding towns where they can do the required course for that?

I tried searching but came up empty for central MA

Thanks!

local police chiefs love it when you bring in the 'mass firearms school' training certificate, especially with their big red 'live fire certified' stamp on it. that said, i'd recommend at least do the full day NRA basic course instead as it would be more useful if you ever want a CT/UT/other state non-res permit.

Cabelas at Highland Commons in Berlin.
If the new-to-the-game person is a complete newb, I'd recommend a class that has live fire.

When I participate in teaching Hunter Ed, which, per MGLs is acceptable for FID / LTC issuance, I tell the students, "If you are unfamiliar with guns, find someone who knows what they're doing, so you can get hands-on experience."

I'm not saying that classes should be mandated - just that a non-live-fire class for someone that's never shot, and who does not have a sensei, may not be the best choice.

Newbs should join a club.
Every club's got people with a clue.
(Pray that you manage to trip over one of them).
Many club members will give bottomless free advice.
Just pray you get advice from the clue-laden.

Newbs should join a club.
Every club's got people with a clue.
(Pray that you manage to trip over one of them).
Many club members will give bottomless free advice.
Just pray you get advice from the clue-laden.
True. But this won’t help them meet the requirements to get an LTC in MA. They were wondering where to go for the required course.

There's a gun store in Worcester that teaches classes. Folks on here aren't big fans of this place, because the owner sold out the community. But if your friends couldn't at least find this place I'd hazard they've not tried.

True. But this won’t help them meet the requirements to get an LTC in MA. They were wondering where to go for the required course.
True. But holding out for a one-and-done Home Firearm Safety class
that's had a live-fire session grafted on For Great Safety
is no substitute for joining a club where training opportunities
are an ongoing process.

I went through GOAL (Northborough), took the all-day one day course with range time at the Worcester Club in Boylston and went on to get my unrestricted LTC (this was roughly a decade ago). I would highly recommend GOAL.

WORCESTER POLICE DEPARTMENT​

LICENCE TO CARRY/FIREARM IDENTIFICATION CARD​

FIREARMS BASIC SAFETY COURSE​

Upcoming Firearms Basic Safety Course dates are listed below. There is a twenty dollar ($20) charge for residents of the City of Worcester and a thirty-five dollar ($35) charge for non-residents (non-refundable). We accept cash, checks or money orders payable to the City of Worcester (no charge or debit cards accepted). You must register in advance at the Worcester Police Department License Division, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., and 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Space for each course is limited and availability is on a first-come-first served basis.

**** Be Advised ****

Firearms Identification Cards (FID) and License to Carry's (LTC) are processed by appointment only. Please call 508-799-8648 between the hours of 8 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., Monday through Friday to schedule an appointment.

Due to the high volume of new applications, the License Division typically books appointments four months out.

UPCOMING COURSE DATES​

Back
Top Bottom