1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Any Bourbon Drinkers??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Airman1030, Apr 25, 2011.

1. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I've heard Angels Envy is good from a few people, haven't tried it myself yet.

2. Kevin 103

Kevin 103 NES Member

Angels Envy is one of my favorites as well. Right now I have that open Four Roses and Bin 21,Bin 21 isn't bad for a $21 bottle of bourbon. Perfect for the brother in law.

3. ACK495

ACK495 NES Member

Definitely love Angels Envy. Great stuff. Still need to try the rye.

I tried Blanton's the other night at Oak and Ember in Mashpee. This place is a whiskey lovers heaven if you haven't been. Very good food too. I might like Blanton's better than the Angels Envy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

Just trying Four Roses single barrel birthday bottle. Very good. No idea the price.

5. ica5726

ica5726 NES Member

My new years 3some. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

I'm a big Angel's Envy fan. It's a proprietary recipe from the legendary Lincoln Henderson, who was the Master Distiller at Brown Forman for nearly 30 years (he created Woodford Reserve and Gentleman Jack). It's then finished in Port casks for 3-6 months, which gives it the little added sweetness that I like in my whiskies. Lincoln passed away a couple years ago, so his son Wes is running the show now.

Unfortunately, the whiskey is a little harder to come by these days. MA was one of the first markets outside KY, and it was only available in about 30 states at its peak until Bacardi bought it last year. They've expanded it to nationwide distribution, so it's been restricted to one case per month for retailers (relaxed last week for the holiday) for some time now.

The AE Rye is awesome as well. 95% rye, finished in Caribbean rum casks to up the sweetness. It's my favorite Manhattan whiskey. I also have a bottle of Cask Strength from each of the years they've released it outside Kentucky, it I'm afraid to open any of them. They've become my version of collectible art.

7. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname

A buddy held a blind taste testing at his place. Only bourbon hidden in paper bags. The usual suspects were brought. Makers Mark, Knob Creak, Eagle Rare, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, ( a technical foul), and a few others. The winner by a large margin was Evan Williams. Just the plain old bottom shelf EW. At the time a handle was $14.95 in New Hampshire. I just paid $20 today. I still prefer Scotch, but if you want a lot of booze for a little money it's hard to beat.

8. Tim_McD

Tim_McD NES Member

9. Chris M.

Chris M. NES Member

I'll enjoy a bit of buffalo trace and a splash of water later.

I agree Woodford is excellent.

Most underrated = wild turkey 101.

10. EC1

EC1 NES Member

angels envy and bulleit 10 year

11. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

Agreed

12. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

13. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

14. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

You put WATER in your buffalo trace? You f'n heathen...

I had a splash of mine last night. For a cheap bottle, it's really tasty. I found it on a roadtrip in Maryland a couple years ago, and been keeping a bottle of it around ever since.

15. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

for a mixer, you cant beat the Evan Williams 1783. I havent tried any of the others though.

16. samandglove1

samandglove1

Love Blanton's. That and Elmer T. Lee are my two daily drinkers.

17. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

I want to dabble in bourbon. Anyone got a short list of craft/small batch bourbon that really is craft/small batch and not Indiana factory crap with a fancy label?

If you don't know what I'm talking about:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...bly-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html

this revelation has given me pause. I'm a scotch guy and want to diversify into American whiskey but I don't want this fake shit and labeling laws in this country allow for this bullshit so it's very difficult to discern the real craft stuff from this Indiana swill.

18. AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Buffalo, Four Roses

19. Tim_McD

Tim_McD NES Member

I am a confirmed scotch guy, but over the past year or so I have branched out into bourbons....and love them.

I saw the source for that Beast article awhile back, Steve Ury's "Recent Eats" blog, and made my entry into bourbon based on location = Kentucky. I started with Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, because the reviews noted it has a 'scotch' like finish. It is very good, yet a touch pricey, so I went with the Woodford Reserve Distillers Select as my day-to-day

I also really like Four Roses Single Barrel, which is made in Kentucky. Both of these are widely available, so you wont get into the unicorn searches for Pappy Van Winkle or other obscure label that is supposed to be awesome (if you can find and afford it)

Dabble with the consistent quality providers that are readily available, then do the deep dive into craft bourbon.

20. bigblue

bigblue

Not for nothin but why do you care if it's small batch, you probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway other than the inconsistency between bottles.

My best advice would be Whisky Wednesday's at Julios if he still does them. The education and ability to participate in small batch tastings is unparalleled.

21. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

And How!

Sadly, I just signed up for a 5 week weight loss challenge paired with my bride. Today she made it VERY clear she expected to win....so no bourbon for me for 5 more weeks...[crying]

22. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I could lose 20 myself.

23. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

Shit, let her win.

Just bought a bottle of Angel's Envy based on hearing about it here. Not bad. Not "terrific", but not bad.

24. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

Been hitting the Monkey Shoulder. Great stuff for the price.

25. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

I know it's scotch, but it seems thread appropriate

26. Gidge

Gidge

I can't get past the price point of $65.00 for a fifth (NH Price) --yes, I know it is 100% rye (rye only need be 51% rye or greater), and yes, I know it is aged 10 years. Historically, rye is/has been a mixing whiskey because of its light character -- I find neat or on the rocks rye rather bland.

27. bigblue

bigblue

I still default to Woodford after trying all the rest. Knob has a nice bite for mixing and Blantons goes better with certain cigars but I always come back to regular old Woodford Reserve. $30 a litre and it delivers.

28. oldguy68

oldguy68 NES Member

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof were my favorites out of the bourbons I bought in last few years.

29. DitchDigger

DitchDigger NES Member

EH Taylor small batch will do it

30. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

Don't be so quick to label the Indiana juice swill. MGP/LDI makes some really good whiskey. The issue I have is the garbage stories the distilleries concoct to make their product stand out. Nonsense like "Al Capone'a favorite bourbon" or "recipe discovered at site of archaeological dig" (that one is made up). Unfortunately, many of the whiskies are the same, just in different bottles and at different price points.

Look deeper into it and you'll find that there are more than 300 bourbons available, yet fewer than 20 "real" distilleries, and only a couple (Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve) make only one brand. So either Sazerac, Heaven Hill, Willett/KBD is making it, or it's coming from Indiana.