1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

any appliance (dryer) repair guys here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Coyote33, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM.

1. Coyote33

Coyote33

Dryer won't work.

From what I've seen, it could be a thermal circuit thing due to too much lint.

Only trouble is, I can't get the thing apart to look for the fuse thing. The other "clue" is that the light doesn't even come on when you open the door, and from all I've read, that should still work, but the dryer itself won't power on.

This is a Kenmore:
    MOD: 110.63022100
    SER MM1811006
    TYPE: DDOT-ELE-240628-CV54
    120/240V 28A 60Hz
    3 or 4 wire connection

I'm guessing it's $40-50 for anyone to even LOOK at it. I can get a new one at Sears scratch and dent for less than $400-500, I'd imagine.

Anyone?

2. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

3. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

4. Coyote33

Coyote33

Anyone can unscrew screws! The back panel on mine does not look like that. I've unscrewed every visible screw, and it won't budge. There is something else holding it somewhere. I'm at the point of just tossing the whole thing.

Oh, and what about the light not coming on?

5. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

6. Coyote33

Coyote33

Well the one in post#5 looks more like it, but they never showed the "thermal fuse", which was the point of this!

7. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

Go to you tube and search for it, it will take a few times but bet the info is there.

8. Coyote33

Coyote33

Do they all have a thermal fuse? Is it the same type in all? Where can you get one of these? Gonna go try again. I have a feeling if I have to remove drum, belt, and all that other stuff, I'm gonna have a dumpster full of parts.

9. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

10. Coyote33

Coyote33

This place just amazes me.

11. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

12. chuckster

chuckster NES Member

Do you have power to the outlet?

13. wilco_99

wilco_99

^^^ Like he said. You might have lost a leg of power. Reset the 220v breaker and confirm you have 220v at the outlet. The drum light should come on anytime the door is open regardless of any thermal fuses. Don't tear into it yet. Can you post a pic of the wiring diagram?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 8:04 PM
  14. Coyote33

Coyote33

It did. How would I know otherwise? I've reset the breaker several times. No light when door open, unless that coincidentally died and nobody noticed. I'm thinking the whole board or something burned out. No?

chuckster likes this.
  15. Quiggy

Quiggy NES Member

Has Rat187's ex-wife been over at your place ?? ;)

Rat187 likes this.
  16. sbi

sbi NES Member

Go here, register and become a member. I think I paid $5 like 8 years ago, lifetime membership. They helped countless times with a Sears dryer and other appliances.

Appliance Repair Forums

This is the same exact model you have:

Appliance Repair Forums

17. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

It could be the thermo link but that doesn't explain your light not coming on. Door switch is where i would check next but again the light should come on. Broken belt can trip a switch near your motor and stop it, but again that light not working is interesting, it should work with all three of these broken.
    Are you sure the light worked prior to the this problem? Check the build but after that remove the bottom panel by putting in the putty knife about two inches from each end and pop that panel down. Once you do that remove the three 1/4'' nut driver screws and pull the blower housing down. Unplug the machine first.

Look to see if your belt is loose or has broken, again a broken belt can trip a switch and nothing happens. If its good then proceed to the thermo link.
    In front of you, you will see a plastic thermo link on the left of the housing, if you don't have a multi meter then you can take the two wires and put the ends together. Wrap them in tape then plug the dryer in and turn it on. If it works its a bad thermo link. If nothing then it could be in your timer.

Before I do all this check the wire connection at the wall and on the machine side and then check the door switch and listen for a sharp clicking sound from it.

If you find the problem my business has mostly all the parts in stock in Westboro, AM Appliance 508-366-5036 and we sell parts Sat and Sun.

Fixxah likes this.
  18. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

Do you have a VOM? If not, get one. It's a must have for trouble shooting. Jack.

19. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    I have a guy, but he’s in South America right now. Got a clothesline?

20. ront02769

ront02769 NES Member

Go to link below, find your model and post in forum. You will quickly get potential diagnosis, link to possible parts needed, and videos of how to install it/them. Parts if you want to order from them come in a couple of days ups. NO charge to “join” the forum.

AppliancePartsPros.com - Appliance Repair Forum - Free Service from Appliance Parts Pros

Were I a betting man, and based on recent experience with my own dryer, I would guess bad dryer door switch.....and that time it was eighty bucks for the guy to come plus the part.

21. snax

snax NES Member

Mine just crapped out, circuit board. I found a used dryer of the same model on craigslist for 50. Took all the parts I could, fixed my problem. Now I have some spare parts. New part was 200 on searspartsdirect.com screw thst. Dryer 10 years old. Didnt want to use the used one because someone else's for one, and why haul mine out of the basement when I don't have to.
    Punch in your model into sears parts site and see what it would cost to fix yourself. This stuff is pretty easy. I've fixed my washer, dryer, fridge, freezer, and stove.
    Sometimes you can just buy 50-60 worth of parts related to your problem than having a guy come out and spend 250. Especially if its,an older appliance.

22. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

It did or it does? Make sure you have power at the outlet before doing anything.

23. Coyote33

Coyote33

It did, and it still should. Nothing was disconnected, and I've flipped the breaker off and on a couple times now. I have tested it in the on position. It is off right now because I have the whole thing apart.

24. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

What he said.

25. Coyote33

Coyote33

I'm sure this is an inside joke. I'd love to hear the rest of it.

Currently using clothesline and inlaws. It's getting old, fast.

26. Stee

Stee

mine quit heating up, checked and the timer was shot, replaced it and runs like new. not heating up try pusing and holding the timer button and see if the heat comes on,,if it does your timer is shot

27. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    Coyote33 likes this.
  28. dgrafton

dgrafton NES Member

My guess is door switch since no light.
    Common failure on that machine, fairly easy fix, but...

Start with the basics.

1. Unplug machine
    2. Check for 240 volts
    3. Check door switch if no light

A service call will be much more than $40. We get $119, same day call is $225. And we are one of the least expensive on the Cape.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 8:44 AM
  29. dgrafton

dgrafton NES Member

On that model, the lower panel comes off first. There are clips that lock it into the door panel. A putty knife pushed between panels (about 5" in from each side) and upwards should disengage them. The panel then tilts toward you and lifts off.

30. Rat187

Rat187 NES Member