1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Any alternatives to Ebay?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calsdad, Oct 26, 2008.

1. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I have used Ebay for a long time - starting back in 97 or 98. It has gotten progressively worse over time. They banned most gun related items a while ago - which pissed me off, but know I go to gunbroker.com

I sell things occasionally on Ebay still - and recently had an issue and got a negative seller feedback (my first ever at 458 feedbacks). I have had issues with products before - and I either replace it sight unseen, or refund the customers money if the problem cannot be resolved.

I knew Ebay had recently changed the rules to not allow negative feedback for buyers - but I didn't realize exactly how extensive the policy is. Basically it has become a buyer's free for all - there looks to be essentially no recourse if you as a seller have a bad buyer. The system is open for buyer abuse - which this guy seems to be doing.

So the question is - are there any other auction sites out there similar to Ebay that are popular enough to bother using?

2. doobie

doobie Banned

Haha, paypal's "the buyer is always right" finally leaked over to ebay?

Nothing else is as popular (aka you won't get as much $$).

Depending one what you are selling there are some speciality auction sites. GunBroker as an example.

3. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I have always had pretty good success with Ebay - like most things though, it depends on the people. I have sold stuff to people - they have had problems, and I have always tried within reason to make things right (if the person is an idiot I am not sending out a replacement because they broke it.)

This has always worked out very well. Based on what I see in his other feedback and my dealings with him - what I have run across is a dickhead buyer. Thing is: Ebay gives no recourse to even REPORT this behavior. As a seller the only negative buyer behavior you can report is non-payment.

Count me in as a more than unhappy Ebay user.

4. doobie

doobie Banned

They used to allow you to make a response to feedback...can you still do that? You could try calling ebay

Ebay.com
    888-749-3229 Cust. serviceM-F (Pacific)
    800-322-9266 " 6:30a-5:30p

5. Martlet

Martlet

How do you have a bad buyer? All he does is pay his money and receive the item he asked for.

6. careful34

careful34

It's in response to "Retaliatory feedback". A seller won't leave a feedback until the buyer does, then bases their feedback on the feedback the buyer left about them, not how promptly they paid or whatever. Guess how I know about this.

Sellers never ship until they have the money in hand. How much problem can there be with that? The old saying is "Buyer Beware" not "Seller Beware"

7. Mike1911

Mike1911

Having been an eBayer for about 9 years and over 2500 + feedbacks with NO negatives, I sometimes wonder how small shop keepers like the mom and pop stores deal with some moron customers. I tell you over the years I've dealt with some weird people! I'm proud to say that of all the items I've sold only ONE person asked for a refund which I quickly sent. As a buyer I never got screwed on anything.

Way back I sold a few pistols (yes, on ebay it was legal then FFL to FFL only), ammo, mags. etc. As you may know, no more of that.

I do eBay as a hobby as I live on a fixed income. It puts gas in the car and a dinner out every now and then. My only complaint is I wish I had MORE JUNK...err...merchandise to sell!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  8. thalife

thalife

This website sells confiscated items by police, unclaimed theft property, and other items. If you bookmark, be sure to refresh every time you visit

http://www.propertyroom.com/

9. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I have had issues in the past - and like you, I have always either replaced the item the buyer had a problem with - or in a few cases I have just refunded money when the issue could not be resolved. I also accept that this is just the way it is. I worked in small business before - and you can't make everybody happy all the time. As long as issues are addressed though - usually everybody can walk away not getting pissed off.

This last buyer though is acting like a jerk in my opinion. My first hint that he had an issue was when I got a PayPal notice that he wanted a refund, then I checked my Ebay feedback and he had left a negative feedback. I have tried to contact him to resolve the issue - and got nothing. I left a feedback (Ebay only allows positive) and made a comment about the customer being less than agreeable - and Ebay did not like that. So I blocked the guy as a buyer and disputed his PayPal dispute request until he gets back to me. Among his feedback was another seller essentially complaining about the same type of behavior that I am seeing from this guy.

I am also pissed at Ebay because I think their new policies essentially condone this type of behavior.

The customer is NOT always right. Some people are stupid, some people are dishonest, some people are downright thieves. I have seen it all after working in small business for a long time. Most disagreements are simply that - somebody didn't get what they expected, those can be resolved.

What I typically sell are used computer parts - and you will always get a certain percentage of problems - people install them incorrectly, those people I will act as tech support for, or hard drives get damaged in shipping - or just fail on their own sometimes ( have sold hundreds of drives, and I deal with them on daily basis - they DO just crap out). So I will usually just replace no questions asked - or refund the buyers money. It doesn't happen very often - but it has happened.

10. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Try working in small business or dealing with people on an ongoing basis. There can always be bad buyers. I have heard my share of horror stories over the years. From selling a car to somebody that was working fine - and then having the person come back with the transmission blown (and the rear tires bald) - to complain that the car was bad and they want their money back. To people buying computer parts that they have no idea on how to install - so they wedge them into the wrong type of slot and actually break the card (and then say that the board is bad - and want their money back).

etc. etc.

In most cases buyers who are having issues can get them resolved. Things break - that is the nature of life. I typically sell used computer parts - they DO break unexpectedly sometimes. I have seen numerous failures in boards, monitors, hard drives, etc. - that have no explanation. Is the seller "wrong " in this case? I don't think so. The buyer may think he got sold junk - but the reality is that the part that worked fine on the test bench could have gotten damaged in shipping - or had a part on the verge of failure that went when the customer received it.

He could have also sat down on the floor of his living room after walking across the rug on a dry day - and static zapped the part and fried it when he went to install it.

The buyer is not always "right".

As with any two way relationship - there are two sides to every story.