Any Ak kit builders out there?

I was going to have a guy on gunbroker build me a kit, but have since reconsidered....The hassle of explaining to someone that I need it MA compliant and going into all the details of the AWB, registration using an FA10, sending to FFL was just embarrassing....So here I am looking to contract the work to a local.

So are there any local reputable AK builders out there?

you must have missed the build party information. search...

That was a green member thing, so he would have missed it.

There's a few threads in here (the BIY forum) by people who have built their own AKs.

I think you're going to run into some trouble trying to get someone to build one for you, though....unless they're a licensed manufacturer.

There are gunsmiths around MA that "build" AKs. I have heard mixed reviews- some are horror stories and some are successful. Get in touch with Jasper as he had one built locally that looked pretty good.

There are reputable gunsmiths around here in the Northeast, but many don't know their head from their ass when it comes to a AKM. I can't stress this to you enough.

Also- look up Ghewer Werks- they will build you a MA compliant AK that would rival any Arsenal build out there. I have seen their builds and they are fan-****ing-tastic. They also come at a premium, so be prepared to pay the piper.

http://www.gewehrwerks.com/

Personally, I looked into paying someone to build for me, and decided, ultimately, that I was more than capable of doing it myself. There are a number of ways you can do it at home with limited tools. You just have to be brazen in the face of failure. If you are doing this as a one time thing, pay for someone to do it right and move on. But if you want more than one, consider home building, especially if you have access to a drill press, shop press, etc.

This is another good builder. Premium price, but they do "replicas" extremely well. Very clean builds. Almost robotic at how well done they look afterwards.

My cousin actually builds ak's. Probably built about 8 or 9 already, and he really knows what hes doing. If you need any help, send me a PM. Maybe he can help you.

Santa Clause knows how to build AKs, too. Except he's not licensed. This is where the problem is, and it's also why you hold a "build party." This is where the individual owner builds his own AK under supervision of people who know what they are doing. Unless your cousin is going to do that, you must be very careful when walking that fine line.

Thank you all for the advice...May just buy a kit and a an AK....that way I can build and shoot...

that sounds like a solid plan. Make sure to get a kit with a barrel. "Chopped" kits are getting rarer by the day as they are illegal to import now.

Also- looking at a known working AK helps tons with building one from parts. It helps "bring it together" and make sense of it's chaos.

Even if you build it yourself, you'll still need have the receiver shipped to an FFL and then register the completed rifle with an FA-10. Most builders should know how to build a ban compliant rifle - this was how they were all built prior to the sunset of the federal assault weapons ban. If you stick with a fixed stock model it's as simple as permanently attaching the muzzle device and cutting off the bayonet lugs.

Truth be told, there isn't much money to be saved by building one up these days unless you're talking about something rare. Once you buy the kit, 922r compliance parts, and receiver and then either buy some tools or pay to have it built you're paying more than a low end factory rifle would cost.

Another option worth looking into is converting a Saiga. They're available in 7.62 and 5.45 for $300 these days and the conversion process is pretty straight forward.

Paul

If I build it myself I would be building from a flat and no ffl required shipped to me.....as soon as I bend it it must be registered with the FA10 here in MA...What I had planned on doing was getting all parts and shipping them to the builder or having everything shipped direct to the builder and only have to pay the FFL on the return trip to MA when the firearm is complete...It is still up-in-the-air for me right now as I just got my C&R in the mail...

If I build it myself I would be building from a flat and no ffl required shipped to me.....as soon as I bend it it must be registered with the FA10 here in MA...What I had planned on doing was getting all parts and shipping them to the builder or having everything shipped direct to the builder and only have to pay the FFL on the return trip to MA when the firearm is complete...It is still up-in-the-air for me right now as I just got my C&R in the mail...

you don't need a C&R in order to build an AK. Buying parts kits is akin to buying spare parts. They are considered the same as scrap metal by most people.

I know this flintoid, but thank you....I meant that I am just torn between building an AK or buying a bunch of C&R firearms....I just may do both....

Definitely check with the builder before going the bent flat route. It's legal for you to bend one and turn it into a rifle for your own use, but I highly doubt you'll find any builder that would be willing to accept your home-bent part and turn it into a working firearm. Bending your own also requires welding and then heat treating.

It's just plain easier to start with a $60 NDS receiver that can be sent out to a builder with no problems.

Paul

I'm not sure why you would pay someone to build it for you. You can buy a specific AK, like if you really want Polish underfolder, you may need to look for a while (and save $$$) It won't be any cheaper, anyways.

If you want to go a build route, you will need start spending $$$ on tools and take time to learn new skills. The benefit of that is you will be able to tackle more complicated builds later, essentially build things no one has, repair guns, come up with your own things. That could be even more fun than shooting the guns and it's a great skill to have when there is a zombie apocalypse and hot women need you to fix their AKs.

Definitely check with the builder before going the bent flat route. It's legal for you to bend one and turn it into a rifle for your own use, but I highly doubt you'll find any builder that would be willing to accept your home-bent part and turn it into a working firearm. Bending your own also requires welding and then heat treating.

It's just plain easier to start with a $60 NDS receiver that can be sent out to a builder with no problems.

Paul

I would not be sending a pre bent receiver, just a flat that the builder would bend, serial and send to my FFL as a completed whole rifle...I am extra solid on the laws,regulations etc. just not the building skills/tools ......Totally agree with you on the NDS receiver being easier....I really appreciate everyone's input

I'm not sure why you would pay someone to build it for you. You can buy a specific AK, like if you really want Polish underfolder, you may need to look for a while (and save $$$) It won't be any cheaper, anyways.

If you want to go a build route, you will need start spending $$$ on tools and take time to learn new skills. The benefit of that is you will be able to tackle more complicated builds later, essentially build things no one has, repair guns, come up with your own things. That could be even more fun than shooting the guns and it's a great skill to have when there is a zombie apocalypse and hot women need you to fix their AKs.

Boris I am new to Ak's.... the builder from Texas I wanted to use estimated roughly $700-$800 with the kit, 922(r) parts, etc......Shipping and FFL fees not included. ....If you search "AK Build Service" on gunbroker he will come up. I had my eye on a couple really nice Romanian G matching kits but just couldn't pull the trigger.

My reasoning for wanting a local builder was more to learn and understand the tricks of the trade from start to finish and also if there was an issue I could consult face to face...I like to learn....BTW Your threads were awesome in regards to your AK.

I will def. keep my eye out for a completed AK...thanks again

Boris I am new to Ak's.... the builder from Texas I wanted to use estimated roughly $700-$800 with the kit, 922(r) parts, etc......Shipping and FFL fees not included. ....If you search "AK Build Service" on gunbroker he will come up. I had my eye on a couple really nice Romanian G matching kits but just couldn't pull the trigger.

My reasoning for wanting a local builder was more to learn and understand the tricks of the trade from start to finish and also if there was an issue I could consult face to face...I like to learn....BTW Your threads were awesome in regards to your AK.

I will def. keep my eye out for a completed AK...thanks again

you can pick up a cheap WASR, play with it, shoot it, figure out how it suppose to work and what doesn't work on it. It's always good to have a working AK as a reference for your first build.

If you find a RomyG kit with a barrel in tact and you have some inclination to learn and invest money in tools (because good tools, skills and kits will only appreciate) there are a lot of local people around to help with various things over messages/email. Otherwise, AK kits are probably the most documented builds than any other rifle. If you want to borrow my receiver bending jig, I'm cool with that, but after a while you realize that it's much less painful to buy some tools yourself.

Again, buy a rifle to shoot it now and build one on your time, so that you are not rushing to get it done. You won't go wrong investing in tools and skills.

you can pick up a cheap WASR, play with it, shoot it, figure out how it suppose to work and what doesn't work on it. It's always good to have a working AK as a reference for your first build.

If you find a RomyG kit with a barrel in tact and you have some inclination to learn and invest money in tools (because good tools, skills and kits will only appreciate) there are a lot of local people around to help with various things over messages/email. Otherwise, AK kits are probably the most documented builds than any other rifle. If you want to borrow my receiver bending jig, I'm cool with that, but after a while you realize that it's much less painful to buy some tools yourself.

Again, buy a rifle to shoot it now and build one on your time, so that you are not rushing to get it done. You won't go wrong investing in tools and skills.

listen to this man. i once saw him build an AK out of a dunkin donuts coffee cup, a single cigarette, a ball of twine, and drops of his own blood.

Appreciate the hospitality and agree that learning/investing in something almost always pays off...I think if i venture into a build I will invest in the AK tool as I have all of the other standard tools. I really wish I was more into firearms earlier in life....I would have gone to gunsmith school instead of getting an MBA...Well maybe I would have done both...well in any case, again, I really appreciate the advice.

listen to this man. i once saw him build an AK out of a dunkin donuts coffee cup, a single cigarette, a ball of twine, and drops of his own blood.

impp_0903_01_z%252B2008_mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart_fact_or_fiction%252Bfact.jpg

Back
Top Bottom