• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any aircraft owners here?

For those inclined for a road trip the International Seaplane Fly In is Sept 6,7&8th in Greenville on Moosehead Lake. It's the largest event of the year for the area and there are all sorts of planes from all over. I've seen Jimmy Buffet's plane as well a many Grumman's. Sadly the only DC 3 float plane has been out of service for a few years now.
The land based planes are up at the Greenville Airport and that in itself is well covered and very popular. Fly by contests on the waterfront are all day events. Tons of planes right in your face at both locations.
You won't be staying overnight in the immediate area as places booked up months ago unless you get lucky but a short drive away should help that situation.

For those inclined for a road trip the International Seaplane Fly In is Sept 6,7&8th in Greenville on Moosehead Lake. It's the largest event of the year for the area and there are all sorts of planes from all over. I've seen Jimmy Buffet's plane as well a many Grumman's. Sadly the only DC 3 float plane has been out of service for a few years now.
The land based planes are up at the Greenville Airport and that in itself is well covered and very popular. Fly by contests on the waterfront are all day events. Tons of planes right in your face at both locations.
You won't be staying overnight in the immediate area as places booked up months ago unless you get lucky but a short drive away should help that situation.
If you're interested, here's an article on the 2006 Moosehead Fly-in. Jump in a Lake | Flight Today | Air & Space Magazine
(I was flying a Cherokee 140, not a Cessna 150, and it was a half keg)

Gregg Andrews, owner of the Spencer Airport, also owned a camp in Greenville where we'd all pile in. Unfortunately, Gregg died in a plane crash a few years back. Before he bought the camp, we'd camp on the airfield. I once rented a Cherokee-Six and brought the whole family.

If you're interested, here's an article on the 2006 Moosehead Fly-in. Jump in a Lake | Flight Today | Air & Space Magazine
(I was flying a Cherokee 140, not a Cessna 150, and it was a half keg)

Gregg Andrews, owner of the Spencer Airport, also owned a camp in Greenville where we'd all pile in. Unfortunately, Gregg died in a plane crash a few years back. Before he bought the camp, we'd camp on the airfield. I once rented a Cherokee-Six and brought the whole family.

I was there. Matter of fact this year will be my 24th year attending as we always take our vacation in Sept after the crowds of summer are gone. The weather impacts a lot of these pilots. 2 or 3 years ago we ran into some guys who flew their planes all the way from Daytona Beach. They took off their beach landing balloon tires and installed the floats. 3 days of flying to get there. I was docked at The Birches in Rockwood then all of a sudden my boat was surrounded by wings. Took a little finagling between my hardtop with radar and antennas with their wingtips. None of us wanted any damages. Had some nice conversation with them.

The cheapest way, is to build it yourself. Then you can do the maintenance
and the yearly inspections as the Manufacturer. I am Building a KR2S and
putting in a Chevy Corvair Engine. I will probably have about $25K in it when done.

Malodave

My college roommate has two small planes, early 70's, one 4 seater one a little largers, we both also do a lot of boating and the small one of his planes cost less per year on average than my 30 foot boat, including all his mandatory maintenance. He constantly tells me you can fly on the cheap and still be safe if you don't mind older planes and the electronics have come way down in the past few years. He has offered to loan the small plane to me as long as I pay the insurance and maintenance, my son is working on his license so I might take him up on it sometime in the future.

putting in a Chevy Corvair Engine. I will probably have about $25K in it when done.

Malodave

That's cool, but if I'm just gonna go out and build myself an airplane I'll probably just bang out a G5.

a couple of weeks ago in north hampton, nh i went to the airfield cafe and some guy landed a small helicopter ate breakfast and then left. i was impressed. i can't even afford to buy the guns, ammo, and mags i want. small aircraft is out for me.

Malodave
Malodave. I stopped flying many years ago to build my summer home in NH. At that time the BD5 was the talk of the town. Do you know how that finally worked out? Jack.

I paid $17K for a 4 seat Piper Cherokee 140 back in 1999. Two adults and two children could fit. Not four adults. A short time later I spent another $19K to overhaul the engine and everything else "While you're at it". I sold it in 2009 for $20K. The good part is I flew a lot of hours, and got somewhat comfortable flying. The bad part is it cost me a metric ton of money. I sold it in 2009 because I realized I hadn't flown since 2008 and it was just sitting there. For the last few years I owned it, I'd go fly a 100 mile circle and park it.

This. At least you weren't one of the folks to auger in with their entire family.

To answer your question OP:

1. A minimum of $10K to get your Private Pilot certificate.
2. $40K and up to buy something flyable, either a high time Cessna, etc. or a two seater Light Sport Aircraft with reasonable hours.
3. $3K/year in maintenance/inspection if all goes well, $1K+/year in fuel.

I have a PPL and I like low and slow open cockpit flying but compliance is not my middle name. When I move South I intend to buy something Part 103 compliant-ish to fly in circles in T-shirts and shorts when the weather/temperature co-operates. New England has too many trees and too many inquisitive people for fun, unstressed flying.

This is a very well-built trike that can be truly Part 103 compliant.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kYd2G8S3A

"You can fake a Lambo, but you can't fake a jet!" - Grant Cardone
ChPMSCOWMAE2m92.jpg

Malodave
One of my uncles (he's gone now) did this years ago. He was an engineer at Raytheon, smart man and he was building it in his garage but he got sick and never finished it.

One of my uncles (he's gone now) did this years ago. He was an engineer at Raytheon, smart man and he was building it in his garage but he got sick and never finished it.

A common outcome. Not too surprising when you take a 65 year old man and one of the many kits out there that take 2,000 hours and up to complete.

If I built anything now it would have to be a quick build E-LSA.

I like taildraggers but this little single seater is intriguing as a retirement evening flyer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh0p6t6GtTs

I was a member in a club which had three airplanes. A good mix of airplanes that could complete the mission, only a handful of active pilots, it most importantly, they had a huge bank account from the buyin and monthly dues and operating costs. They were well maintained, always being upgraded with newer avionics and stuff. The monthly fee was about $150 and the hourly operating rate was reasonable. I checked out when I had a child but could see myself getting back into it when they’re older. If I went for straight ownership, I’d go experimental. RV something. Fun to fly, safe as anything else flying, and much less expensive cost of ownership vs a certified airplane. One other thing I’ve learned is to never lease an airplane back to a school, etc. to have it ‘make money’ when you’re not flying it. That will never happen because the utilization has to be that high with the added costs of running a commercial venture.

Malodave. I stopped flying many years ago to build my summer home in NH. At that time the BD5 was the talk of the town. Do you know how that finally worked out? Jack.

Jim Bede Lost that company after some serious Mis-Management.
He fired all the people making the kits but kept the sales force to
keep selling what he could not produce anymore. He was sued and
the BD5J is now the FLS Microjet.

Malodave

Back
Top Bottom