• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any advice to a soon to be officer?

My Advice is screw being a cop... Be an electrician or plumber, you make more money, Have weekends and holidays with you family and not be picking up the trash of society.

I agree for the most part except the money but that depends on what town or city you work for also

I was referring to speed with this one. If some one is speeding in Mass 1-10 miles per hour over the speed limit is a 105 dollar fine and 10 per additional mile. If someone is doing 20 mph over the speed limit the state recommended fine is 205 but Officers can issue the minimum fine of 105.

None of this matters much anyways because once someone is cited that's still like shooting them in the face with a 12 gauge (because of the insurance hit) even at whatever the minimum fine is. [laugh] I guess its a nice gesture to someone who hadn't gotten a cite for 100 years and has a mulligan left.

-Mike

None of this matters much anyways because once someone is cited that's still like shooting them in the face with a 12 gauge (because of the insurance hit) even at whatever the minimum fine is. [laugh] I guess its a nice gesture to someone who hadn't gotten a cite for 100 years and has a mulligan left.

-Mike
It’s the “just the tip” rationale:p

I was referring to speed with this one. If some one is speeding in Mass 1-10 miles per hour over the speed limit is a 105 dollar fine and 10 per additional mile. If someone is doing 20 mph over the speed limit the state recommended fine is 205 but Officers can issue the minimum fine of 105.

Don’t matter. The increase in insurance cost will easily overwhelm the difference in the fine.

When you arrest someone remember, you are arresting your Boss.
No, you are arresting your subordinate. A boss in a relationship is the one who gets to tell the other what to do.
because of the insurance hit
Unlike many states, MA specifically prohibits any disposition that punishes the driver and collects state revenue without the insurance hit, which may also be why MA cops seem more inclined to issue warnings that those in states where the punishment for speeding is hundreds, not thousands.

Everything is warnable. But if you're going to write it - write it. You'll warn a few and regret it, and you'll write some that you probably didn't need to. It's a learning process. Pay attention and learn as fast as you can, because the ones you write that you didn't need to cost someone money and history when you'd have achieved compliance with a warning, and the ones you shouldn't have warned will mean nothing to your narrative the next time they do the same thing, and you'll be kicking yourself when the Vio gets thrown out.

Remember that whoever escalates an encounter, YOU will ALWAYS have to deescalate it at some point. Use good judgment WRT escalation.

Before using OC, remember YOU will have to go hands on with that person you just sprayed. Also remember how long OC takes to really kick in, and how many people channel the pain into rage.

Take nothing personally. Treat people with respect and professionalism and they will more often than not respond in kind.

OP if you are still thinking of becoming a cop one of the most important thingS to do is always know where the nearest Donut shop is to you.

Sorry boys been super busy with the academy [wave]
Finishing my first month, few more to go.
I deff appreciate all the good feed back.

thank you all

Last edited:
LukeIronSight, Thank you for the "likes". What I said to you was from my very bitter experience of being a LEO in that Dung Hole of Mass. You will find individuals that will get PO'd at you and accuse you of not being a "Team Player" because you did not go along with their wrong doing. You get called a rat because you will answer questions truthfully, that causes others to be held accountable.

If you happen upon a burning house please ignore the academy training and park your cruiser down the street away from the front of the house! No matter what you've been taught, your car parked right in front does not help put out the fire.

I can't tell you how many times we found a cruiser parked on a hydrant.
We were the first people to spot a house fire one day in my town. As a retired PO I knew better than to park in front of the house, so I parked across the street just beyond it and called the FD emergency number. Then myself and two others that also stopped (and they parked like I did) went to each door, hammering on it in case anyone was inside and could hear us (no cars in driveway). After that I called the PD as they would need to block off traffic for the FD. Sure enough the cruiser parks across their driveway! We then left for home so as not to be a hinderance to the FD or being blocked in by engines.

Reminds me of some ~40 yrs ago when my neighbor (great guy - RIP) had a fatal heart attack. While the EMTs were working on him in the house, his doctor arrives and parks behind the ambulance (which was in his driveway) blocking the ambulance in!

People just don't THINK!!

I can't tell you how many times we found a cruiser parked on a hydrant.
I can't find any Intarweb photos of field expedient plumbing via prowl cars.

But you still want to put down the beverage for these:

shortjack2.jpg

You have two ears and one mouth for a reason, listen twice as much as you speak.

Give more warnings than citations and set your fine amounts to state minimums. It shows that your reasonable and fair.

Remember its just a job and family does come first.

Overtime and details are a perk, don't expect them to to always be there and don't live beyond your base salary.

Wave to the kids and take the time to speak with the elderly, It does a lot you may not see.

You don't have to arrest someone just because you can.

Lastly go over to masscops.com and ask questions there. I love northeast shooters but not everyone here is pro cop. Stay safe and be careful. Pm me if you need anything.

Truer words were never spoken...

Back
Top Bottom