Any advice to a soon to be officer?

Received letters for State and my municipality.
Since we are a tight community here, I was wondering if you guys had any advice to pass on.

Sooner or later you will see a bad cop do something bad and you will be expected to say nothing. Think about how you will handle this. Do you say nothing and become complicit? Or do you say something and find yourself on the "wrong" side of the blue line?

You have my sympathy because it's a no-win situation.

There are lots of good cops out there, and there are some bad ones as well. But the attitude of not saying anything brings the whole profession down.

I have no solution to offer.

Stay strong, stay true to yourself.

Treat a gentleman like a gentleman, treat a lady like a lady, and treat an assshole like an assshole.
Also, if you end up working for a department that has the Quinn benefit or other education bonus find a way to get back to school. No sense leaving money on the table. Also, ask about buying back your military time if you were in. You can beef up your pension nicely.
If you want to get promoted or get some decent assignments don't abuse your sick time benefits. Spotless attendance records can do wonders for your career.
Stay in shape! A lot of guys let themselves go after the academy. Your uniform and duty belt will be much more comfortable and you'll be better at every part of your job if you're physically fit.

Don't start a thread asking for advice and go eight hours without responding! You need to pay attention to detail in all aspects of your life. And keep your cool when you respond to a call on duty and all the Dindu Nuffins all whip out their Obamaphones and start taping...

You have two ears and one mouth for a reason, listen twice as much as you speak.

Give more warnings than citations and set your fine amounts to state minimums. It shows that your reasonable and fair.

Remember its just a job and family does come first.

Overtime and details are a perk, don't expect them to to always be there and don't live beyond your base salary.

Wave to the kids and take the time to speak with the elderly, It does a lot you may not see.

You don't have to arrest someone just because you can.

Lastly go over to masscops.com and ask questions there. I love northeast shooters but not everyone here is pro cop. Stay safe and be careful. Pm me if you need anything.

Don't get into a fight off duty in a bar and then flash your badge when your realize you are going to lose. Seen that one too many times.

You have two ears and one mouth for a reason, listen twice as much as you speak.

Give more warnings than citations and set your fine amounts to state minimums. It shows that your reasonable and fair.

Overtime and details are a perk, don't expect them to to always be there and don't live beyond your base salary.

Wave to the kids and take the time to speak with the elderly, It does a lot you may not see.

Lastly go over to masscops.com and ask questions there. I love northeast shooters but not everyone here is pro cop. Stay safe and be careful. Pm me if you need anything.

Agree 100% with Billy2.....BTW, See you over at masscops.com

Cops don't set the fines, the judge does. Technically MGL does but the judges do what they please, usually in collusion with the ADA.

Many on masscops.com aren't pro cop either or more succinctly many only recognize certain types of LEOs as "legitimate" LEOs. So much infighting there that I permanently quit that forum many years ago after one member attacked one too many LEOs (Fed in that particular case) and owner and Mods did nothing about him (loose cannon).

Cops don't set the fines, the judge does. Technically MGL does but the judges do what they please, usually in collusion with the ADA.

I was referring to speed with this one. If some one is speeding in Mass 1-10 miles per hour over the speed limit is a 105 dollar fine and 10 per additional mile. If someone is doing 20 mph over the speed limit the state recommended fine is 205 but Officers can issue the minimum fine of 105.

Back
Top Bottom