Any advice on 10mm?

Been loading dozens of calibers for years but keep hearing how the 10mm is a "reloaders round", and how versatile it is. Additionally how powerful it is, or can be. So I recently bought a Glock 40 with an RMR, and placed an order to Dillon for a 10mm toolhead/powder setup. While I'm waiting on my tools and components, I've been researching load data, and I'm not seeing it to be this beast of a round that everyone makes it out to be. 200gr @ 1,200fps? I'm still researching it of course. I'll be safe, adhere to published load data and embrace all safety protocols as usual, but anyone have any experience with the 10mm, or the 10mm in a glock they'd like to share?

i reload for it have a ported glock 20 and a ruger 1911 10 mm: i don't load super hot rounds but have no problems cycling with standard data 10 percent below maximum, with the glovk i use jacketed bullets only

When I was in my Glock phase I loaded 9.6gr of Blue Dot under a 180gr cast FP for a G20, I never chrono'd it but it was pretty stiff recoil wise. I don't play with Glocks anymore. That G20 had a 6" KKM barrel and a heavier recoil spring installed.

I still have 1911's in 10mm and 610 revolver but I haven't handloaded anything for them in quite some time as I have other calibers that are more of a priority plus, I gotta a ton of factory ammo.

I use Power Pistol or Blue Dot with 180 grain JHP's. With the PP I can get close to 1300 fps from a G20 with a KKM barrel. As usual, follow the guides and work your way up. Alliant website has load data. Once I cast up some hard cast 200's I'll work up a load for that.

180's getting close to 1300 fps produces a lot of energy. Shoot steel plates with 9mm, then with a stout 10mm load. Big difference.

glock fan boy here. i reload for my g20. using several reloading manuals, paper, store bought volumes and online variants like hodgdon. i find most comercially loaded 10mm ammo, with the exception of specialty loadings, to be anemic. so yes, it makes sense to reload to load out to max pressures and fps. and that's basically all i shoot, full boat power loads, for no other reason except i can. i am not going to share my load recipies just for safety reasons. you'll have to work up your own loadings. but the design of the glock grip makes handling those whopping easy to handle.

i did purchase a kkm barrel for my 20 to replace the oem barrel. i load both lead and jacketed. i made a trade deal with a nes member and got ~ 500 140 gr. flat points that turned into some nice, accurate mid-range loads. and glen gave me a super deal a few years back, on bulk jacketed bullets, winchester i believe, both 140 flats and 180 jhp's. i'm still working with those. a friend casts (cause i retired from casting) some nice 155's. i bought him a nice 4 gang mold that drops 155's that come out up from the ogive resembling a round nose and end in a flat point. and i have a 170 gr mold coming. he'll do a thousand or two when he cranks up a session with lead i supply. he makes me size and lube...bastard...and i have to buy him and the wife dinner for the effort. i don't mind. so, yeah, a long winded answer for a lot of options for the 10 for reloader. but the big boy really heavy bullets, i don't shoot too often, i just order and buy.

My only experience with the 10mm is with a Sig Tac Ops 1911. I like it but it throws empties about 30 feet even with a 28 pound spring. Sig was no help at all. Hopefully the Glock doesn't throw them as far because you aren't going to find many 10mm cases lying on the ground at the club.

I haven't loaded any hot 10mm. I have bought some Buffalo Bore 220gr hardcast that was loaded hot, but I don't know the recipe that they used.

Been loading dozens of calibers for years but keep hearing how the 10mm is a "reloaders round", and how versatile it is. Additionally how powerful it is, or can be. So I recently bought a Glock 40 with an RMR, and placed an order to Dillon for a 10mm toolhead/powder setup. While I'm waiting on my tools and components, I've been researching load data, and I'm not seeing it to be this beast of a round that everyone makes it out to be. 200gr @ 1,200fps? I'm still researching it of course. I'll be safe, adhere to published load data and embrace all safety protocols as usual, but anyone have any experience with the 10mm, or the 10mm in a glock they'd like to share?
You should be able to get around 1450fps with 180 gr. Cast 200 gr should be at least 1300fps. Book data for 10mm is very conservative.

I bought some underwood 200gr, happy with it, but I do think it could be a little hotter. But, I'm sure they are loading it with a good safety factor.

I load 10mm full bang and my fav powder is AA9 and a 180 gr rnfp. You really start to understand the power of the 10mm's energy when smacking steel gongs. Pretty impressive power that you dont realize shooting through paper.

My Kimber Target LS 10mm

IMG_20220710_183956983.jpg

I load 10mm full bang and my fav powder is AA9 and a 180 gr rnfp. You really start to understand the power of the 10mm's energy when smacking steel gongs. Pretty impressive power that you dont realize shooting through paper.

My Kimber Target LS 10mm

View attachment 683554
On steel plates, 10mm as God intended makes 9mm seem anemic by comparison. Such a great round.

My Kimber Target LS 10mm

View attachment 683554
i was just looking (online) at that timber other day.
did you try/consider tangfolios? like a defiant limited pro?

i was just looking (online) at that timber other day.
did you try/consider tangfolios? like a defiant limited pro?

I specifically was looking for a 10mm long slide with adj sights back in 2018 and wanted to handle one first prior to buying. Wasnt overly concerned about how it shoots. Shooters Outpost had the Kimber Target 10mm LS in stock so handled it , really liked it and bought it. 10mm is a potent round and the slightly overall heaviness of the LS absorbs the felt recoil very nicely. My kimber is a very smooth shooter . Absolutely love it.

Back
Top Bottom